It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Does Anxiety/Panic make you "sick"?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #16
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
    Re: Does Anxiety/Panic make you "sick"?

Thanks OE!

I quit drinking Feburary 10, 1992 so I do have an anniversary coming up soon. I have a prescription for Xanax and I take it as needed, usually when I fly, even thought I fly twice a week, I still get anxious about it... but I often wonder if I like the xanax too much to become okay with flying (know what I mean?). I'm a bit afraid to take the xanax everyday since I am a recovering alkie. I don't have the nausea too bad this morning, so is it the change from celexa to cymbalta (I only took that starting yesterday) or is it the fact that I'm off work the next two weeks? I did get up late again today, but it is Sunday, and I didn't feel like I couldn't get out of bed, I just wanted to stay in bed.

I'm afraid to just stop ADs so I'm going to take the Cymbalta until I see the P-doc. I have a call into him to see if I can move my appt. up to this week. MY GP also wrote a script so that I can get a chest x-ray because I worry about lung cancer after smokingfor 25 years and quitting 8 months ago yesterday.

I'm just a mess, but I'm willing to work on me to get better. Thanks for this board and you all being here!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #17
    suzie8112
    (female)

suzie8112 HB User

I've had panic attacks for years, and one of the main symptoms is nausea for me. And it doesn't help that I have an extreme fear of throwing up!!! I've been trying to figure out "is it physical or mental" for years...I mostly know when it's panic related, so YES: pa's can definitely manifest them in your stomach!!!! Sorry, I know what you're going through. It seems lately all I do is live on ginger ale, chamomile tea, crackers....anything to help the nausea. I know when I get calm (ie take a Xanax) 99 percent of the time, the nausea goes away because the panic is gone.

Take care and good luck!!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:45 AM   #18
    green dragon
    Inactive
    (male)

green dragon HB User

suzie; its both. i have been diagnosed with 3 anxiety disorders and how it was explained to me is that i have - in my case - an overproduction of seritone that comes from the brain stem and is inoperative to fix. too much seritone causes the body to go out of balance and trigger the "flight - fight - freeze" condition. = thus anxiety. ever see people throw up on a roller coaster or on a plane when everything is calm? thats a nausea problem for them from panic.

so its a physical condition that gives you mental side effects.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
    ozinpanic
    (female)

ozinpanic HB User

Interesting. You've actually been told that it's too much serotone? I've only been told it's out of balance. Then why do they prescribe anti-depressants to us that are supposed to up the serotone level. I've always wondered how can depressed people share the same medicine as us that are anxious. I always thought anxious people were over stimulated hence more sensitized therefore I've never gone down the anti depressant road. I must admit though I have come extremely close.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #20
    green dragon
    Inactive
    (male)

green dragon HB User

i think thats why they call it an inhibitor. also the majority of seretonin produced by the brain stem actually gathers in the gut thus the nausea.

actually its like a scale with too much being corrected by the SSRI but sometimes it tips the other way and you get to little produced.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #21
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

wow i just found out i had low thyriod levels so if they fixed my panic or the thing in my head will i have panic attacks again? i have panic attacks alot and i just got mine 2006 and just found out 2 mos ago i had low thyriods so if i get my levels regulated will i need xanax anymore ? im on 25 mg of thyriod meds this is week 4 i was retested 2 weeks after the first one and it was down to 6 it was 8.45 iam feeling some better not totallt but better.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-24-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #22
    wailana
    (female)

wailana HB User

I'm curious if anyone went through this and whether being on thyroid medication lessen the anxiety and panic/anxiety attacks.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-24-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #23
    green dragon
    Inactive
    (male)

green dragon HB User

if yer chemical imbalance is balanced you can probably throw away the xanax but i would speak with yer doc. they will probably lower and lower the dose. ask for some ativan for trouble times - other then that - good luck

Old 02-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #24
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

Never quit a Benzo "cold turkey". Always consult your doctor and plan to taper off slowly over time otherwise your body will go through withdrawl and rebound anxiety will be extremelly uncomfortable. I take Xanax full time and think it is a wonderful drug, but many people are told by their doctors to just stop taking it and it can cause really bad side effects when quit quickly, so take your time on it. Do it slowly and make sure your anxiety is really gone.

Take care,
    OE

Closed Thread