It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• low cortisol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
    curiousleo
    (female)

curiousleo HB User
    low cortisol

what does low cortisol, (baseline) adrenal fatigue and low testosterone mean? can all they be recovered.

How soon can u get back to working out on weights once u start taking cortisol replacement?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User
    Re: low cortisol

Has your friend seen a good endocrinologist? Did he had an ACTH stimulation test before being put on the 15mg steroid replacement?

If he actually has an adrenal problem & has not been diagnosed it would be difficult now. With his background of having steriods for other things it could have caused temporary or permanent adrenal problems. No one can say if his adrenals will recover. He would have to very slowly taper from the cortisol replacement with the help of a doctor to see if they would function.

Adrenal insufficiency/Addisons & low testosterone go together. My testosterone was NIL until I started a cream replacement.

The cortisol replacement your friend is taking is small. If he has adrenal insufficiency, it may not be enough to allow him to work out with weights.

By searching you can find lots of info in answer to your questions.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
    curiousleo
    (female)

curiousleo HB User

I'm not certain if they did the ATCH test or not. I don't think so. All i know is they did the blood work and saliva test. The reason for his other prednisone injections was for sinus/allergy like symtpoms. He's now gone to a new doctor with his results from the blood test and saliva test. The doctor went over all the results. He came back with low cortisol, adrenal disfunction and low testosterone alone with low sbgh. He gave him a prescription for cortef 15 mg and some adrenal pills to take and to come back to him in about 2 weeks to see if the cortef is working. If the adrenal has shut down can it be recovered? since taing the cortef for about a week now he's actually feeling just a little biet better, but not on top of it still. Not where he can run and work out again. Help!!

Thank yu so much Wanda. I was hoping you would respond b\c i see would get an response from you b/c you seem to be very educated in this. I really would like more of your input.

Thanks In Advance

Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

I only know what I have learned from others with addisons & from my own experience. There are so many who know "MUCH" more than I do.

It is a bad deal for your friend to be taking Cortef with out having the ACTH stim test first. It sounds like his adrenals are not working properly, but he needs a firm diagnosis.

What are the adrenal pills? Can you find out if he had the ACTH test?

How is he taking the 15mg Cortef? All at once or divided? What times of day?

Sometimes adrenals do work again, but he would have to taper (with doctors help) to see if that happens.

If he is diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency he would be prescribed a higher dose of Cortef which might allow him to run & work out. Many with adrenal insufficiency/addisons do. A good share of us have had to learn to pace ourselves. I cannot do the hard work all day that I used too.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
    chrisS81
    Inactive
    (male)

chrisS81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by curiousleo View Post
    I'm not certain if they did the ATCH test or not. I don't think so. All i know is they did the blood work and saliva test. The reason for his other prednisone injections was for sinus/allergy like symtpoms. He's now gone to a new doctor with his results from the blood test and saliva test. The doctor went over all the results. He came back with low cortisol, adrenal disfunction and low testosterone alone with low sbgh. He gave him a prescription for cortef 15 mg and some adrenal pills to take and to come back to him in about 2 weeks to see if the cortef is working. If the adrenal has shut down can it be recovered? since taing the cortef for about a week now he's actually feeling just a little biet better, but not on top of it still. Not where he can run and work out again. Help!!

Thank yu so much Wanda. I was hoping you would respond b\c i see would get an response from you b/c you seem to be very educated in this. I really would like more of your input.

Thanks In Advance
    I don't want to sound like a downer.. but I'm currently on 15mg of cortef and I've yet to feel good enough to exercise, although my problem that causes my adrenal insufficiency may be something more like heavy metal poisoning(we are soon going to test), but I don't know. All I know is I have low testosterone, low cortisol(among a couple other things), and I'm on 15mg of cortef and I was an exercise freak and had all the energy in the world before I got sick. That was 2 years ago and I'm still trying to get back in the gym.

Last edited by chrisS81; 01-15-2007 at 01:20 AM.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
    Mjmr
    (female)

Mjmr HB User
    Exclamation Re: low cortisol

I was just reading all of your notes back and forth... I am so lost here, I have never heard about others being so tired and worn out, I have neverbeen put on testosterone, and I am frustrated with how tired I am and how easily I bruise, I cannot seem to work full time anymore without getting sick...how can you get all these answers? I have an endo and aparently he has no clue, you all seem to have more answers, and I checked and there is no one w/in 100 plus miles who specializes in addisons.....

Old 01-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

Mjmr,

Please tell us what meds you are taking now? How much & what times of day.

Are you getting plenty of protein & adding salt to your food? How much water do you drink daily?

Has your thyroid & testosterone been checkly?

Old 01-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
    Mjmr
    (female)

Mjmr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WandaB View Post
    Mjmr,

Please tell us what meds you are taking now? How much & what times of day.

Are you getting plenty of protein & adding salt to your food? How much water do you drink daily?

Has your thyroid & testosterone been checkly?
    I am taking 20mg of cortef ( I quit taking the prednisone).125mg levothroid, and .1mg of florinef...and now paxil for anxiety. I am gatting fat, tired, sore and have no energy. I have never had my testosterone checked or mentioned...and I have never been told anything about protein...just salt, and I am sure I get plenty of that...I eat salt!!

see why I feel lost???
    thanks
    MJMR

Old 01-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

Was the prednisone in addition to the Cortef? How are you splitting your Cortef?

How is your blood pressure? You may not need the whole Florinef tablet. Ask your doc. They had me taking a whole Florinef for a long time & changed it to 1/2 a tablet.

Since you are gaining weight I would be suspicious of the Florinef. Is your appetite too good? Are you eating too many high carb foods? We no longer process carbs like we used to & I love them. Have to have protein with it though.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
    Mjmr
    (female)

Mjmr HB User
    Question Re: low cortisol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WandaB View Post
    Was the prednisone in addition to the Cortef? How are you splitting your Cortef?

How is your blood pressure? You may not need the whole Florinef tablet. Ask your doc. They had me taking a whole Florinef for a long time & changed it to 1/2 a tablet.

Since you are gaining weight I would be suspicious of the Florinef. Is your appetite too good? Are you eating too many high carb foods? We no longer process carbs like we used to & I love them. Have to have protein with it though.
    WandaB...
    My blood pressure is usually terribly low...I have a huge appetite! I hate sweets, but I love fat and salt...lots of salt...What is the deal with the protein and how much should I have and is there a special diet I should know about? I have always taken a whole tablet of florinef and sometimes more in the summer....I quit on the prednisone, to take the cortef again, I hate the prednisone, and the cortef is not that good either, I am suposed to take 20 in the am and 10 in the afternoon...but I never remember the afternoon.....AND I always wake up sick to my stomach!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

Since your BP is low you need the Florinef. Although it might be higher if you medicated correctly.

Have you tried Hydrocortisone instead of the Cortef. There are some of us who do not do well on Cortef.

You are actually making "yourself" sick. With addisons you must medicate properly. There are way too many hours between your morning doses. It is no wonder you wake with a sick stomach.

I only take 20mg daily, BUT I split it. 10mg in the a.m., 5mg at noon & 5mg at 5pm. I have been having more trouble with asthma so may go back to 22.5mg again.

For 30mg daily, the norm for splitting it is 15mg a.m., 10mg at noon, 5mg about 5pm. Taking 20mg at once would really make you hungry.

There have been conversations on other boards about how some of us just do better by eating some good protein with each meal. More energy & just feeling better. If I only eat cereal in the morning I have to have some protein in a couple hours. Think it is a low sugar thing. I don't know of a special diet. We're just supposed to eat healthy. I like to make chicken salad (can be eaten for breakfast) or just have some cooked chicken & ham on hand. Some mornings I have egg beaters with canadian bacon.

What time do you have your evening meal? Could you remember to take a dose then?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:06 AM   #12
    curiousleo
    (female)

curiousleo HB User

Good morning all. I still don't have my friends results, but i am working on getting them from him so i can post his results and find out if they did the ACTH test. He is taking 15mg of cortef. 10 in the am and 5mg around 3 each day. The Adrenal vitamin type pills he's taken i think are by Dr. Wilson. 3 different bottles. adrenal c, one is a adrenal with alot of other vitamins in it and another. These are suppose make your adrenal glands work properly. if i'm not mistaken it's suppose to take 66 months to 2 years to work properly again. He did say he was feeling better but not great. Not as down, but no energy at all still. Having sinus type symptoms again as well.

I'm going to see if i can look up what they told him to take at the pharmacy. I know when he went to the doctor they said he was on the right stuff as far as the adrenal then was prescribed the cortef 15mg.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #13
    curiousleo
    (female)

curiousleo HB User

Okay, I'm back with what he's taking for adrenal recovery. Their 3 different bottles: Super Adrenal Formula 1, Adrenal Rebuilder Formula and Adrenal C Formula.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-17-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Closed Thread