It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• B12 deficiency or something else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
    oneder
    (female)

oneder HB User
    Question B12 deficiency or something else?

hey boards-

i don't really know where to post this. hopefully someone will read this and have some thoughts.

first off, i started seeing a doctor in june because of tiredness, extreme difficulty in maintaining my weight (despite having a fitness competitor style diet and workout schedule), complete loss of sex drive, and just not "feeling great". i suspected a thyroid issue, but my blood tests for thyroid function came back "normal".

i did, however, have an elevated MCV and MCH level.

i have a history of major IBS and recently diagnosed Lichen Planus, which is an autoimmune skin disorder. the cause is "unknown" but it thought to often be seen in people with hepatitis. i don't *think* i've ever had hepatitis.

recently, i started seeing another doc for ammenoreah. (loss of period) i haven't had one since June. it's still hard for me to keep weight from fluxuating, i'm still very tired, my sex drive is still non-existant, and in the past few months i've had numerous people mention to me that my skin looked yellow to them.
    on a blood test two weeks ago my MCV and MCH levels were still raised. i asked them to run a B12 test, which they did a few days ago. it came back at 1396, which is high??

so, raised MCV and MCH levels can indicate a B12 deficiency, yet my blood work came back high?

i'm so confused. i feel like i can't get a straight answer from anyone. i'm mostly sick and tired of people telling me that "nothing's wrong" when i still am exhausted and have to fight my body to make it use the food i give to it.

any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
    Re: B12 deficiency or something else?

what were your other counts? Yellow skin can be jaundice, which means your liver is off, which can be from anemia. I'm told that just because your blood serum B12 is high doesn't mean you're not deficient in B12.

What was your hbg (hemoglobin) count? White Count?

You could have a virus, too, which could throw your liver off. Did they test your liver levels?

HAve you been taking B12 supplements? That could falsely raise your B12 blood test as well.

Jill

Old 01-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
    oneder
    (female)

oneder HB User

other counts were all "normal". i'm not sure if anything special was tested.

my MCV is 103 and my MCH is 36.

white blood count was 4.1. red blood count was 3.8 (on the lowest end of normal ranges)

i take a multi-vitamin with Bs in it, and i've been supplimenting with a B complex when i remember it (which is like, every other day). i didn't take any extra B vitams for three days before this last test.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
    The Inquirer
    (female)

The Inquirer HB User

Hi Oneder,

I don't really have an answer to your question, but I'm wondering if you've been tested for Celiac Disease..?? Celiac is frequently misdiagnosed as IBS and some people get a horrible rash called dermatitis herpeteformis (sp). Also, people with Celiac often have vitamin deficiencies, since their intestines are not absorbing properly. It's a simple blood test if you want to ask your doctor about it.

By the way, I get B12 shots every 2 weeks for a B12 deficiency that can't be traced to any cause.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Inq

Old 02-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
    pugluver31902
    (female)

pugluver31902 HB User

You sound just like me, and I do have celiac disease, along with the horrible skin problems. I would ask the doctor to run a celiac panel. Only some labs can do it. Not a celiac TEST, which only tests for one thing, but a Celiac PANEL. I was ALWAYS tired, had a horrible rash, and stomach problems. Look it up online, there is a lot of research done and you should be able to find a lot.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Oneder,
    I'd be concerned about hemoloytic anemia - where your body makes antibodies to the red cells, destroying hemoglobin - it can cause loss of period.

Your dr needs to look further. The yellowish tint to your skin is concerning.

Press them for answers. Something's not right.

Best,
    Jill

Closed Thread