It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Improved results!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
    smithnj
    (male)

smithnj HB User
    Improved results!

Recently I posted with my lab results, and described how my doctor wanted to put me on statins. Here is the post if you are interested.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=2706098#post2706098[/url]

I had a blood test last week for an insurance policy, and my results are improved, but not perfect. My total cholesterol rose to 177 from 172. HDL rose from 35 to 42. My trigs dropped from 194 to 164. My total bilirubin is slightly high at 1.6. Glucose is down to 88. Overall it seems as though the lifestyle changes are working! It has only been 2.5 months since I started working out more regularly, eating better, and taking multivitamins and a fish oil tablet every day. I know that taking one fish oil tablet a day is not much, but it seems as though my HDL cholesterol got a slight rise. I have also cut down, but not eliminated, alcohol.

A few weeks ago I got a second opinion from a different doctor, and he said that I should continue the lifestyle changes, and there was no need to go on drugs yet, but he wanted to evaluate me in 3 months. I picked up a blood test slip and I plan to go in April. I hope to get the trigs down under 150!

What do you think about the total bilirubin level at 1.6?

Also, has anyone ever done a liver flush? I suspect that I have fatty liver.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Improved results!

Good results, especially on the nice HDL boost.

How about THIS tasty morsel?
    Quote:
    Background--Elevated serum bilirubin concentrations protect against atherosclerotic diseases; however, it is not clear whether higher serum bilirubin concentrations in physiological ranges work in favor of the cardiovascular system in younger persons with no cardiovascular risk factors. Accordingly, we investigated the effects of high, intermediate, and low serum bilirubin concentrations on coronary flow reserve (CFR).

Conclusion--Elevated serum bilirubin concentrations protect from CFR impairment, coronary microvascular dysfunction, and possibly coronary atherosclerosis.
    I skipped the testing part for the sake of brevity.

Total bilirubin of 1.6 is probably nothing to worry about...I;ve seen normal total bilirubin defined to include 1.9 mg./dL.
    Next doctor's visit have your antibodies against Hep A, B and C checked out.

Yes, I occasionally do a liver flush, but it is for removal of stones and gravel from the gall bladder and larger canals in the liver, rather than fat removal.
    Commonly touted for fatty liver is LECITHIN...several grams a day.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-31-2007 at 07:11 AM.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
    TLB50
    (male)

TLB50 HB User

My bilirubin has been betwen 1.1 and 2.1 for at least 10 years. I talked to a gastro doc and he said this was nothing to worry about. Some people (usually runs in family) have higher bilirubin numbers. A 1.6 level is nothing to worry about.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
    smithnj
    (male)

smithnj HB User

Thanks. I would like to try a liver flush. When I was younger and dumber, I drank lots of alcohol and ate pretty terribly. I always countered it with exercise, but I wouldn't be surprised if I had the beginnings of gallstones and liver stones. I'd like to try a liver flush, and I will try the lecithin. What is a good liver flush to use? I looked online a little, and they all seem to include fasting for long periods of time. Can you recommend one I can try?

Old 02-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
    Mike In NY
    Inactive
    (male)

Mike In NY HB User

I've done a liver flush many times. Juice of one lemon, liquid milk thistle (about 60 drops), liquid garlic (1/2 teaspoon) and Aloe Vera Gel Herbal Detoxifying Formula (3oz). Do this early in the morning on an empty stomach. I had elevated ALT several years ago and this liver flush brought the number down to the normal range. I did the flush everyday for three months. I still occasionally do it for a week.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Here's the one I use. It does include fasting but for only a day:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=440163[/url]

Last edited by Lenin; 02-07-2007 at 05:13 AM.

Closed Thread