It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Yaz and INCREASED mood swings

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
    Swiktorek
    (female)

Swiktorek HB User
    Unhappy Yaz and INCREASED mood swings

I used to be on Ortho Tri Cyclen for many years. I asked my dr about something new because after going off Ortho, I noticed I lost some weight and just FELT less bloated. She gave me Yaz (not yasmin) which is supposed to be lower dosages of hormones than the other pill i was on.

I've now been on Yaz for almost 2 full packs. My periods are WAY better (though i do have some breakthrough bleeding, which i never had before) and cramping isn't even too bad. But here's the thing: I am an emotional mess. I don't understand b/c Yaz is supposed to HELP with mood swings, etc, not make it worse. But i feel not myself at all -- I cry almost every day, am easily overwhelmed and frustrated, I can't sleep through the night.

I've struggled with depression in the past and I swear, this is what it felt like. Is it possible that the Yaz is triggering this? Has anyone else felt this crazy on Yaz, which is supposed to be low-dosage?

Also, as a side note -- i have zero sex drive and have trouble even getting "lubricated" at all. Is this common and is it something that can change?

I plan to see my doctor, but I'm so on edge, it'd really help me if i knew others had gone through the same thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User
    Re: Yaz and INCREASED mood swings

These side effects can happen on any hormonal birth control. As far as Yasmin and Yaz, women seem to either love it or hate it.

I had bad moodiness, anxiety & depression on Ovcon 35 (with other problems like water retention, zero sex drive). It was not helped by trying either Loestrin or Yasmin. Like you, I have a history of anxiety and depression that predates my taking the pill. The depression I had on the pill was weird though, it was depression but different from the depression I'd had beforehand (which I'd treated and thought I was over). I think the pill depression was accompanied by a TON of moodiness whereas my major depression had not been. I cried a lot both times, but on the pill, the crying was absolutely uncontrollable. I was popping Xanax daily to deal with it. It started to get really bad on the pill, to the point where I was considering self-harm again (I used to cut during the bout with major depression.) I quit the pill 7 months ago and my mood and attitude improved quite quickly, within 2 weeks to a month I felt normal and more stable again. No more urges to injure myself, no more uncontrollable crying or moodiness other than the odd off day here and there. But now it's maybe once a month instead of every single day.

As far as the sex drive, all hormonal birth control (especially taken long term), has a negative impact on your libido. I experienced this with Ortho-novum 7/7/7, ortho-tricyclen lo, Ovcon 35, loestrin, Yasmin...All hormones have the effect of drying you out down there, making it more difficult to become aroused and for me, at least, making me care less whether I had sex or not. Sex wasn't displeasurable to me on the pill, I just could care less whether I had it or not and did not get aroused at all. It really makes me angry that women are told the pill is the solution to all their problems when really it just causes more. And you KNOW they would never market a hormonal birth control pill for men that had the effect of killing THEIR libido, but for women, it's perfectly OK

Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
    snogal
    (female)

snogal HB User
    Re: Yaz and INCREASED mood swings

Swiktorek -

I also had ZERO sex drive (and no lubrication) throughout my 5+ years on birth control (Ortho Tri Cyclen regular & lo) - it was horrible. The moodiness was horrible too (depression, anxiety, anger, etc). I quit birth control a little over 2 weeks ago, and so far, things have gotten SO much better. My mood has improved greatly & my sex drive is back (along with the lubrication). I can't believe the difference - I figured it would take months to feel more like my old self.

Closed Thread