It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Supplements

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
    fjones1
    (female)

fjones1 HB User
    Iron Supplements

Hi. I've noticed a lot of people here use the Spatone liquid iron. I have a question about that product. Do you take one or two packs a day? Does it eventually raise your iron levels to normal? Also has anyone here heard of Hemaplex iron? I tried it but had a bad reaction, though I heard it is supposed to work fast. I haven't had much luck with most iron supplements. The side effects are terrible and they don't raise my iron levels much.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
    IceQueen2007
    (female)

IceQueen2007 HB User
    Re: Iron Supplements

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjones1 View Post
    Hi. I've noticed a lot of people here use the Spatone liquid iron. I have a question about that product. Do you take one or two packs a day? Does it eventually raise your iron levels to normal? Also has anyone here heard of Hemaplex iron? I tried it but had a bad reaction, though I heard it is supposed to work fast. I haven't had much luck with most iron supplements. The side effects are terrible and they don't raise my iron levels much.

Thanks.
    I have heard of HemaPlex. I took it for about a month....I personally did not have any bad reactions to it. It did not work for me though... but I know several people who have and it has worked. What type of reaction did you have?

Sorry I have never heard of the Spatone liquid iron at all.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

I have been taking the Spatone liquid iron since mid-November. I have to say that I *love* it. I get no side effects from it at all. The other supplements were killing me so bad that I could not take them more than 3 days.

How well does it work? That's a good question.

I became anemic back in July and stayed anemic for a bit. I didn't start the Spatone until November when I figured the anemia was here to stay. At that point, I had never had a ferritin test done, so I don't know what my ferritin level was while I was anemic.

Anyway, after 6 weeks on Spatone, my anemia totally reversed itself and my Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, and RBCs are looking REAL good. I am in the normal range (and not just by a tiny bit). BUT, my ferritin, at the same time was only a 5!!

According to my doctor, the ferritin declines slowly over a period of years and when it finally hits rock bottom, the anemia starts. So, when you start iron supplementation, the first thing to change is the anemia. Then the ferritin slowly starts to rise.

I have been taking one pack of Spatone per day, but the package insert says that you can take 2 packs a day if you want faster results. I've decided just to take it easy and do a pack a day.

I can't say enough good things about how easy it is and the company ships FEDEX with no shipping charges. It comes about 2 days after I order it, right on my doorstep!

Christine

Last edited by ChristineVA; 02-02-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
    fjones1
    (female)

fjones1 HB User

Hi. According to a lot of the advise on this board, the acceptable ferritin level for iron stores is around 70. Has anyone had any luck raising their iron levels to 70 or more with just supplements and diet and nothing else? If so, did it take over a year? I've had a lot of bad reactions to most of the supplements, there's only one that I can tolerate. I got my latest blood work back, and my ferritin, as of 2/5/07 is 23, up from 4 back in July of 2006. My iron saturation was something like 15%. The doctor said that was normal but also on the low end of normal. This was just before my period, which was heavy for 2 days, so I don't know what it looks like now. But I fear it might take me years to get to a ferritin of 70 with just supplements. It's hard to go around barely able to function, but it looks like I might have to do that.

Closed Thread