It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Lasik: detachment of corneal flap during surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2000, 01:51 PM   #1
    EricS

EricS HB User
    Post Lasik: detachment of corneal flap during surgery

I had Lasik surgery 5 days ago with one of the best and most experienced surgeons in the New York area. Unfortunately, I experienced a problem. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience:
    The surgeon started with my left eye. While replacing the corneal flap, apparently the top third tore off. When he did the right eye (perhaps surprising that he continued?) the rightmost half of the flap tore away upon replacement. I only learned of these yesterday at a follow-up appt. At the surgery and at my next-day appt, it was described to me as a "scratch of the cornea in each eye" -- an unusual event that "might occur 5% of the time". I actually had very little pain or discomfort as a result, but am now suffering from double vision in each eye (A ghost with vertical displacement in the L, ghost with angular displacement in the R). The results is that while my visual acuity is somewhat improved -- still -2.50 in R and -1.50 in L -- I cannot really see well, drive or read. I am hopeful that these symptoms will resolve as healing continues -- as my doctor has assured me. However, I informally consulted another ophthalmologist who tells me that the circumstances are sufficiently unusual that there is really no telling whether the double vision will resolve or not. Anyone have a similar experience? Advice? prognosis? The irony, of course, is that this surgeon is the guy that other NY area doctors send their toughest cases and complications to.

EricS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2000, 11:16 AM   #2
    Lisa/Tx

Lisa/Tx HB User
    I had double vision when looking at numbers on screens for about a week, maybe a little more, after my LASIK. It resolved on it's own.

However, I was fully functional from a vision standpoint from day one. You might want to consult formally with another LASIK surgeon for a second opinion if things don't get better.

I don't live in New York so can't give you any recommendations.

Lisa

Old 12-30-2000, 01:37 PM   #3
    joy
    Inactive

joy HB User
    Give it a few more days. Has your sight improved since the first day? I had lasik 3 weeks ago and had an 'abrasion'. My surgeon would not do the other eye until he saw how it would heal. I had the other eye done 2 weeks later. Fortunately everything is fine. I had monovision and see well. I hope everything goes well for you. Any improvement since day #1?
    Joy

Old 12-30-2000, 02:09 PM   #4
    EricS

EricS HB User

Thanks for asking. My vision might be improving very gradually. It's day 8 and I still see double in my L. eye. Right is in bad shape in terms of acuity anyway, but I think there are still several images there. I can drive (barely) during the day, but can't at night. I'm seeing the surgeon again Tues morning and was advised by another ophthalmologist to wait a week for another opinion. I got a copy of the video from my procedure where you can see quite clearly as half the flap tears away. What a sight!

Thanks for the pep talks -- your comments help!

Also, does anyone know a good technical source on the Lasik surgical procedure. As I understand it, the cornea is composed of 5 layers of cells and collagen/water,(incl. epithelium, basement membrane, Bowman's layer, etc.) -- each with diff't regenerative properties. I'm interested in knowing exactly what gets lifted in the flap and what tissue gets ablated, ideal flap thickness, etc.

EricS

Old 12-30-2000, 06:07 PM   #5
    Lisa/Tx

Lisa/Tx HB User
    I replied earlier but don't know where it went Anyway, I had some double vision after my Lasik only when I looked at numbers on a screen. Otherwise my vision was great from the first day and I was driving and going to the movies the day after surgery.

If things are not improving for you I would seek a second opinion. Sometimes things just happen and your problems may not be related to any failure of care on the part of the doc. However a second opinion is never a bad idea.

I live in Dallas so can't recommend any docs in New York.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
    noah_hath

noah_hath HB User
    Hi,

My name is Hendrik and I got my lasic 7 days ago on only one eye. A week after the the surgeon checked my I and recognized a scratch on the flab as discribed here as well. That was the reason, why my vision acutally got worse after the operation than better. She told me I should keeping using my Inflamse Forte drops four times each day and the scratch will heal. I have another appiontment in two weeks. My vision on my left eye is not dramaticly bad but worse that before and that borther me. I have light double vision. I really hope that my eye will recover. Also I lost the sleeping glassed they gave me in the night and I was afraid that I rubbed my eye or even the glasses by falling off rubbed my eye. But the doctor said the flab is very well placed in my eye. I would recoment if you have only one eye done, try an eye patch instead the glasses. But you should disuss that with your doctor first. My glasses were very tight and I still kept loosing them while I was sleeping.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:22 PM   #7
    EricS

EricS HB User
    Just saw your message -- good luck with the irritation. It sounds like the sort of thing that may (hopefully) pass with time as ypour message suggests the doc doesn't think there's been damage to the cornea.

For my part, the multiple vision has reduced and is now (3 yrs later) pretty inconspicuous. Can drive at night, etc. although vision not perfectly clear and much worse when I am fatigued. I went to another doctor a year ago for a second opinion. After 2 mornings of testing his hypothesis was that the corneal damage was not the source of my multiple vision. Rather is was related to the monovision treatment. Apparently, each of my eyes is trying to adjust for the differences in focus. The antagonism between them caused the multiple vision since (apparently) eyes cannot focus independently. Evidence for this was a little indirect: When the doc tried to paralyze the muscles in my eyes for dilation, it took 3 applications of the drops, and even that did not lead to adequate paralysis. The punch line, if there is one, is that I've learned that eyes are very complex. Even if you qualify by the standard criteria for the surgery (as I did)unusual and unexpected factors like the strength of my eye muscles coupled with monovision surgery can nonetheless create poor outcomes in unpredictable ways. A word to the wise -- it is your vision you are messing with -- be very cautious.

Old 10-16-2003, 03:46 AM   #8
    nbsxangel

nbsxangel HB User
    Do you regret getting LASIK?

Old 10-16-2003, 07:27 PM   #9
    EricS

EricS HB User
    In a word -- yes. If I had to do it over again, I would not. This isn't a criticism of my surgeon so much as a recognition that there are so many different ways that the surgery can lead to poor results -- sometimes due to the surgeon, an unfortunate mishap, sometimes something that the screening criteria don't catch, etc. The reward function (yes, I'm a statistician) is very skewed: The upside if all goes well, is better sight and convenience and there's a 95% or better chance everything will go well. However, if you are in the unfortunate 3-5%, the results can range from significant inconvenience to absolutely life-ruining. People need to form their owns individual assessments of these tradeoffs. However, note that I am in my mid-forties, in peak health, never a serious problem etc. I had absolutely no risk factors so no one would have predicted my outcome.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:50 AM   #10
    Roadboss
    (male)

Roadboss HB User
    Re: Lasik: detachment of corneal flap during surgery

Hi Eric
    Sorry to hear about your complications! I am scheduled to have surgery on 1/1/05. Whats the name of the place in N.Y. you went to? My doctor thats going to do my eyes practices in N.Y.,NJ, and CT. Just curios.
    Thanks, Roadboss

Closed Thread