It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Do statins ever cause burning muscle pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
    enie
    (female)

enie HB User
    Do statins ever cause burning muscle pain?

I know that some of you guys don't care for the side effects that statins cause, but I would like to ask a question about Lipitor anyway.
    My husband has severe post polio syndrome, so he has quite a bit of pain in his left arm already;
    But lately his arm pain has been a lot worse with a lot of new burning pain in his muscles, not just the joints. It is really getting him down and even 2 T#3ís have not helped like they should.
    My question is:
    I was wondering if any of you have heard of a statin causing that kind of burning muscle pain?

A little bit about my husband: he's 59 and although he has a lot of damage from the polio and now uses a power chair all the time, he stays very busy with his fishing lure creations. He had a heart attack 5 years ago with a quad bypass. His doc never tells him what his cholesterol is, so I don't have any idea what it is. At his old doctor's office 3 years ago I think I remember hearing that it was total 152 plus trigs still a little high. He is on a very low dose of diabetes meds and his sugar stays good. He takes several heart pills plus celebrex.
    Wating to hear some input..
    enie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User
    Re: Do statins ever cause burning muscle pain?

Yes, statins can cause burning in the muscles. This would indicate muscle damage. I certainly his cholesterol wasn't in the 150's. If his doctors gave him cholesterol lowering medication with cholesterol at this level, I would suspect they are about as bright as a 15 watt bulb. I'd find a new doctor. You husband should be taking Coq10 regardless, enen if he is not taking a statin.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NHone View Post
    Yes, statins can cause burning in the muscles. This would indicate muscle damage. I certainly his cholesterol wasn't in the 150's. If his doctors gave him cholesterol lowering medication with cholesterol at this level, I would suspect they are about as bright as a 15 watt bulb. I'd find a new doctor. You husband should be taking Coq10 regardless, enen if he is not taking a statin.

THis answers my post of a few weeks ago" Itchy legs" which should have been burning legs, as my legs feel just like the pain of a mild burn. My legs burn from the ankles up to my knee and the more I scratch the worse it gets,

My Dr. told me to stay off all supplements for two weeks to see if it relives or better yet goes away. Now in the week elapsed there seems to be a very mild relief. I am woundering if a demotoligist is in order. There appears very small red dots in the most effected area, the ankles, so what do you think, N None?

This all stared while I was on Statins -- all at one time or the other, and thinking it could be Red Yeast Rice since it has properties of statins, it might be that,but I really don't know. So whats your input?

By the way, I cannot tolerate statin and have been off them for about 8 months or more.

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

It could be supplements, but they don't last long in the system, so relief show come quickly. What about your other medications? Do you take a calcium channel blocker? They are known to cause small little red pin dots. If you were just on the red yeast rice, that might take a while longer to eliminate the problem, since they have found statins remain in the system much longer than they thought. As you already know red yeast rice has some of the same properties of statins. Also as they told my mother, the burning could indicate regeneration, which isn't a bad thing. A dermatologist might be in order. When I had itchy arms and legs they did a chest x-ray as the itching could indicate heart problems. Alas, the problem turned out to be a different fabric softner my mother was using. Seems it "clung" more to the fabric and didn't rinse out as much. The affected area was where the fabric had the closest contact.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Yes,
    Statins can cause burning muscle pain but for anyone who has suffered POLIO as a child, I think such pain is most likely from POST-POLIO SYNDROME. A rheumatologist should make that call.

<A woman I know is just beginning to develop PPS a half century after her bout with POLIO.>

Old 02-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Statins are know to lower immunity. This could also be why when taking statins other problems begin to surface.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
    Connie122516
    Veteran
    (female)

Connie122516 HB User

I know that PPS pain can become worse with time (from personal experience with both my grandfather and a friend), and statins can cause muscle pain, SO best bet is to try to find a TEAM of doctors (since I doubt there is a cardiologist who is also an expert in PPS) who will work together to help you figure out what is going on and what the best course of treatment is.

By the way, I'd suggest it's time for you and your husband to start getting in the habit of asking more questions. The doctor should NOT hesitate to tell you/him his numbers, and if he doesn't, then you should be asking. If he then hesitates to tell you, it's time to find another doctor.

I always have a written list of questions I want to ask each time I go...if I don't take the list with me, I will often forget to ask.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    It could be supplements, but they don't last long in the system, so relief show come quickly. What about your other medications? Do you take a calcium channel blocker? They are known to cause small little red pin dots. If you were just on the red yeast rice, that might take a while longer to eliminate the problem, since they have found statins remain in the system much longer than they thought. As you already know red yeast rice has some of the same properties of statins
    Thanks, N,None, for your quick reply. No I do not take calcuim blockers. I was on a protocol of the following supplements because I could no longer take statins any longer because of intollerance problems, so I was taking Red Yeast Rice 800 mg, Nician 2000 mgs , Beta Sitiosteriol 1200 mg . Beta 3.6.9 Fish oil, Garilc 1000mg, per day to help lower my numbers which are in the low high range.

I do have the red pin head size red dots around my ankles -- no higher.- with a burning sensation when under the cover at night but nothing durnig the days. If I scrached, all hell breaks out until lotion would calm it down.

At this writing, I am happy to report that the burnig has pretty much gone. This burning was apparent durning my ingestion of Lipitor as well as any statins I was put on. My appn't with my Dr. is on the 9th of this month and we will see what he has to say. He did tell me he was not keen on Nician Also said the tightness in my leg muscles was from the nician. Ans also said Nician could be dangerious.

So far the tightness has diminished as well as well as the burning. I will take this as a good sign. Once gone, he said I should take one supp. at a time to isolate the culpret and stop taking it. That sounds like a good plan of attack.

Thanks for all your help, each and everyone who toook the time to answer.

Very much appreciated, N None.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-05-2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: editing quote

Old 02-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

sounds like a good plan. Some people just have problems when their cholesterol is dropped, no matter if if conforms to "suggested" numbers or not. It could have been an allergic reaction from the combination of the red yease rice...and the niacin. My own personal opinion is that i would rather see someone on niacin (vit B3) than on the red yeast rice. Statins of any kind do cross the blood brain barrier, and that in itself is scary.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NHone View Post
    sounds like a good plan. Some people just have problems when their cholesterol is dropped, no matter if if conforms to "suggested" numbers or not. It could have been an allergic reaction from the combination of the red yease rice...and the niacin. My own personal opinion is that i would rather see someone on niacin (vit B3) than on the red yeast rice. Statins of any kind do cross the blood brain barrier, and that in itself is scary.
    Thanks N Hone, Last night I had no discomfort from the burning sensation in my legs and the muscle pain in my legs appears to be on the decline. I am much relieved.

I'm begining to think that the Red Yeast Rice is the culpret and about the Niacin? The jury is still out. I have not felt so good in months as I do now, so I will comtinue to not take my supps.

Thanks again for you help.

Ed

Old 02-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

For the legs you might try putting a bar of soap under your sheets. Dr. Gott has many people swear to this, for helping with leg pain and cramps at night. It has worked well for my mother. Some people have claimed that it is just a placebo effect, but animals have seemed to benefit also. I believe that it could be from components of the soap being absorbed by the skin. You never know.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:54 AM   #12
    nuway
    (male)

nuway HB User

[removed]

more poeple these days are trying alternatives like re yeast rice

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-13-2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Closed Thread