It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Weening Off Percocet Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #16
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User
    Re: Weening Off Percocet Question

Shawley,
    I am also from the back pain board. I wanted you to know that I don't think less of you because of your problem and I agree with DDP123, I think that part of your problem is the anxiety created by not knowing if you are fusing or not, and with RO's assessment of your body screaming you are in more pain because it is trying to desperately convince you that it needs more meds.
    At one time, I was on 18 different pain meds, including fentanyl patches 600 mcgs/day, methadone-80 mg 3 x/day, soma 350mg 4x/day, etc, etc.....all at the same time, and I decided like you to withdraw myself, not because of a problem with them but because I was pregnant. I managed to put myself into a seizure because I knew nothing about withdrawal from the meds, nor did I know anything about tapering.......
    Anyway, I want to strongly encourage you to talk to your doctor, and your wife and get them onto your team. Withdrawal is not easy, even with medical supervision, let alone by yourself. The tapering schedule is there for a reason, including half lives of the meds, your ability to tolerate and adjust to the new , lower dose, any side effects, complications of withdrawal.......that's why you need medical and family support........
    I suspect that your wife might know about the oxycodone already.........they can put you on something else once you are clear from the percocet.........
    But do be honest with your doctor and your family.........it is so important that you have people who can help you on this journey.

This happens alot with people on pain meds Shawley, this is not the first time that your doctor has seen this I'm sure, and it won't be the last..........good luck to you hon........I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Sandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Sandi ,
    Hi I remember you from the backpainboard too. Thanks for understanding my problem . I want my wife to know I really do but my wife makes things bigger than they really are , I plan on telling my doctor after I ween myself down to what I'm supposed to be taking , I did pretty good today , only 5 pills total. I really feel horrible ,shaking ,sick in my tummy and diarea and full of anxiety but when I lay down I feel ok.

The hard part is running out of my meds , I done this once before and I never want that to happen again. Thats the main reason for me stopping the meds. I see my doctor on the 15th I will explain my problems with him.

I understand the mind trying to make me want more but thats not the case with me , i had this pain WAY before my meds , I screamed and hollored that my Dr. wouldn't give me pain meds , I should of shut my mouth. What kind of medications could I take for the pain ? I tried about everything and the only thing that gave any relief was Lyrica but it wasn't enough.

Thank you for being so nice , I didn't want to tell anyone about this but it got out of hand and I needed help. Did you stop your pain meds ?

It's terrible and I wish it on no one . Ok Maybe on Osama Bin Loden

Old 02-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #18
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Pepper ,
    No I don't go to more than one Dr. or do anything against the law for pills , not yet anyway . NO I wouldn't because I would be labeled and wouldn't want that. My Dr.'s been telling me they would like to see me stop these meds , but I was so scared because of the pain I get to stop.
    Now I'm ready more than ever to stop even if it means going crazzy in pain I don't care. I'm glad I came clean with you also , it's been bottled up in me for a while now. Only 5 pill's tonight ! I can do it...Maybe tomorrow one more less , When I get it down to 4 pills and need no more than that a day I'm telling my Dr. I want off. I see my Dr. on the 15th

Old 02-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #19
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Shawley

Just wanted to congratulate you on your efforts thus far. You really seem to have determination there. You have said you want to wean off these, right? Taper? Just a word of caution. A taper is just that. Don't let your enthusiasm run the plan, let common sense and the doctor guide you. As long as you are feeling like you can handle the step downs you are making, great.

A very wise Senior Veteran, Philster, on this board gave me words that have cemented in my mind" "Once you lower a dose, don't ever go back up." That has been a firm directive for me since I started this taper. I make my cut when I feel capable of staying committeed to the cut. Thus far it has been working for me. A taper is not a race, Friend. It is just a slow route to coming off. For me, it was a better choice than cold turkey.

It takes us all a while to get to the point where we feel we are using too much of a drug. It will take a while coming back down, too. Give your body and brain a chance to adjust to each cut. It will adjust, just takes a bit of time. The amount of time varies person to person and even on each cut for the same person. Slow and steady wins the race in a taper.

Wishing you well

reach

Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawley View Post

Pepper ,
    No I don't go to more than one Dr. or do anything against the law for pills , not yet anyway . NO I wouldn't because I would be labeled and wouldn't want that. My Dr.'s been telling me they would like to see me stop these meds , but I was so scared because of the pain I get to stop.
    Now I'm ready more than ever to stop even if it means going crazzy in pain I don't care. I'm glad I came clean with you also , it's been bottled up in me for a while now. Only 5 pill's tonight ! I can do it...Maybe tomorrow one more less , When I get it down to 4 pills and need no more than that a day I'm telling my Dr. I want off. I see my Dr. on the 15th
    Good for you! I am so glad that you have not taken it to this step. If your doc has been telling you they want to stop these meds, I believe he already knows. Do you think he was trying to talk to you during your last appt?

Shawley, I understand that you don't want to tell you wife. Heck if I was your wife, I would be upset to at first (I might even throw my Diet Dr. Pepper at you) but then I would realize that you are fighting a battle and needed my support more than ever. My greatest fear is what would happen if you went into a seizure or had a serious reaction and no one was around. Have you thought this out?

Shawley please make sure you keeping checking in with us. I am praying more than ever for you. I truly do care.

Last edited by ms_west; 02-08-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #21
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Shawley, no one here is going to think any less of you because of this problem! You know we all love you and pray for you!

You know your wife and what she can handle. At the right time, I hope you'll be able to tell her. She could be your strongest ally and get you through this. In general, it's best to not hide things from your spouse, but, like I said, you know her. But she might surprise you if you could figure out just the right way to tell her.

You've gotten lots of good advice here, and I don't have anything better to say. I just wanted to tell you that we're all behind you and rooting you on. You're gonna lick this! And you'll be stronger for it!

My one regret is that now the folks who are regulars on this board are going to make you split your time and take you away from us on the back board. No fair! We don't wanna lose you! I don't think a day goes by that you don't give me a good chuckle, and you always have a good word for everyone.

Shawley, you keep strong and, seriously, you stay on this board as much as you need to. You'll get lots of support, and before you know it, you'll be the one giving support to others.

Don't give up! There's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Take care,
    Emily

Old 02-09-2007, 04:44 AM   #22
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

GoodMorning Reach ,

I understand its a long battle and that I should taper down slowly , But I kind of put myself running low on meds at the time. I get a refill on the 15 , thats why I have to cut it down so I don't have to go without any until then. I think the anxiety part is the worse , feel's like my heart is going a hundred miles per hour. I started off this morning at 4:00am I couldn't sleep well. I took 2 perc and already I'm feeling the effect of withdraw ? Funny so soon .

I'm one who does what he say's , If I say I'll quit I will. Up until my brother passed I put up with the effects of drugs and alchahol , I was scared for me and my family of my brother. I promised my parents and myself I would never go that route. I understand also that it's because of my pain , not by choice. I'm not down on myself or anything ,maybe a little paraynoid at times but not sad or angry , just tired of my pain . It's just a great time to get clean of these Meds.

I'll definatly be around here for a long time, even after I'm clean. Like you, I like to help other with the knowlege I get by living it and from people like you. You know PAYBACKS

Thanks for being there for all of us.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 AM   #23
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Pepper / Emily ,
    You know you guy's been my cyber buddies for a long time on the backpain board and always will be , I'm not leaving that board either , I think my pain problem is worse than this addiction ,both are terrible and I will be on both boards getting help and trying to give help. It really felt good with your kind words , guess I got a little choked up reading your post . I made alot of friends on these boards. I don't know what you all look like, but I seem to really know alot of you by reading post's. Your all kind people and willing to lend a hand helping people when there down and I'm sure the LORD is very happy with you guy's /gals to .

BLESS YOU AND THANK YOU .

Old 02-09-2007, 04:56 AM   #24
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Ready ,
    Glad you understand , my wife has high anxiety bad , and she cries alot because of it and blows up everything
    I sure hope your pain subsides , thats one thing I don't hurt anymore than usual ? Strange huh ? Anyway thanks for the support you all are great
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ReadyToBeDone View Post
    Shawley, this post is gonna be quick cuz I'm hurting like hell right now ([email protected] w/d's), but I know how you feel about not telling your spouse. I haven't told mine either, and I think that puts us in a hard position because we really need a partner to lean on. But like yours mine would say "I told you so" and would get mad, and keep it in his back pocket to use against me at the most convenient times, so I'm not saying its right not to tell them, just that I understand. Regardless of whether you tell her or not, you can do this. You can do anything. Love ya.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #25
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Shawley

Boy, do I hear you loud and clear about the anxiety! I was already in such a horrible frenzy of anxiety and depression when I started the taper. I think you are in a much better place to start work with a taper than I was. The anxiety lessens as you plod along. That is how I know when I am ready to make each cut. My anxiety level starts to level off a bit and I say, "Okay, time to go down a bit more."

You know, from what I have learned reading other's stories here, those who choose the cold turkey route have the peak of withdrawal on the third day or so and then the symptoms slowly subside. I am finding the same with the taper. The symptoms are not any where near as drastic as those of cold turkey, but they surely do exist. And they, also, peak around the third day or so and then slowly subside.

I have been able to sleep most nights... an occassional exception only. I do, however, anticipate a little problem when I stop the bedtime dose. That is why I have tapered kind of "equally." Cutting the bedtime dose little by little as I cut the daytime dose. Trying to keep balance.

You sound like a heck of a determined guy and when you say you will do this, I believe you. Smiles

reach

Old 02-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #26
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

Hi Shawley,
    I understand not wanting to tell your wife, I just would like to see you with all of the support available while you do this and someone "there" in case something goes wrong.
    Everyone is right, this isn't a race to see how fast you can get to 5 pills a day, it is best to do this a small step at a time, every couple of days, see how you feel once you are okay physically at that dose, and then another step down.
    Yes, I did take myself off all of those pain meds and stayed away from pain meds completely for a long time. Withdrawal will do that to you. Like I said, it was a self imposed withdrawal because I was pregnant and didn't want to be on them while I was . I don't recommend doing it the way I did, it was the scariest thing that I have ever done and never, ever do I want to repeat it again.
    I do take pain meds again now, because of the back pain, but I am extremely watchful for the physical signs of dependence............can we all say hypervigiliant about it.
    Good luck Shawley, I am keeping you in my prayers.Sandi

Old 02-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #27
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

I did it ! I called my surgeon and pain management and told them I have a problem. But I didn't tell them the whole truth, I told them I want off of these meds and that I tried quiting myself and can't do it , they were so nice about it and understanding , I started to cry silently but I'm sure they knew. It's a huge burden off my chest , I also told them I was taken my percocet every 6 hours and skipping my Morphine because I don't want to take it it's to strong and makes me sick. She told me she needs to get me into a program to ween me off...I told them I couldn't just stop one pill, that I needed to ween before stopping , I said maybe like lowering the dose after I get down from without my Morphine , She said the program will do me great and that they are so proud I came to them.

I told them If it wasn't for friends ( you guys ) I would of never said anything to them. Monday there going to call me and make arrangments for me to see this PM place over near my home to consider the spinal cord stim to help me with my pain while I'm tapering. Thank you guy's..I am so happy I took all your advises. You to Reach , you inspired me to start all this.

Thanks you all for being true cyber buddies

Old 02-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #28
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hola Muchacho Shawley!

It is impossible for you to understand how thrilled I am that you made that phone call!! And I so understand the "lifting of a burden" feeling that comes when it is all out there in the open. The hiding it just compounds our turmoil. Oh, I haven't told the whole, entire world by any means. But I have told those close to me in the way of family, friends and doctors. One of my better decisiond because every single one of them has been nothing but supportive.

Shawley, when you go in to talk to your doctors, it has got to be the "full disclosure." If you do not tell them exactly how much ofn the meds you have been taking daily, you will end up on too big of a cut the first time and run into what I did. I wasn't trying to lie to my doctor, just wasn't thinking straight and was caught off guard when he asked me. ( Remember I was only going for a routine checkup... just happened to be in hysteria when I got there...smiles). I honestly thought at that moment I was telling the real amounts. It wasn't until later that I remembered the times I got up in the middle of the night and often took a couple of more tabs. So it might be a good idea to use the time until the visit to really figure out your daily average. It doesn't matter to the doctors. They can only help you best with the most information.

I am so, so happy you made that call.

I am going to get daring and broach one more thing here. At some point, Wifey needs to be brought into the circle. I know she suffers from anxiety and I am sorry about that. However, there is just no way to hide coming off an opiate no matter what course of coming off we choose. Personally, as a loving wife, my anxiety would rise if I didn't know what the heck was going on with my Hubby if I noticed changes with no explanation. I could easily misinterpret the changes as changes in his feelings towards me or as me causes the changes in him and becoming anxious not knowing what I might be doing wrong.

I have always been the talker in my family (as you can see by my long-winded posts!). Then, some ten years ago, I developed a rare cancer and was totally incapacitated for a long while. My Hubby, the quiet one, took over in unbelieveable ways. He was the one talking to doctors, calling family and friends to give updates, taking charge of my medications, just everything. This was a man who did a 360* that I never expected. Never underestimate the untapped powers of a loving spouse! They can be a source of unwaivering support.

Good luck, Friend. You stay in touch with us and let us know how things are going.

reach

Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #29
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

PRAISE THE LORD!! I am so PROUD of your courage to come clean with the doctors and so soon! Way to GO!! You must feel a huge weight being lifted off your shoulders. I am so thankful that they are referring you to PM closer to your home this will be so much more convenient and they can keep a closer eye on you.

I admire your strength and courage. Now go talk to your wife............I think it will be the best thing you can do for your marriage and your dd. You don't want her to find out thru a second party or overhearing something. Just be sure to duck and be preapred for her to be upset....it make take a few days. She will have to accept this herself then together you can move forward.

God Bless - I am lifting you and your family up in prayers.

Last edited by ms_west; 02-09-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #30
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley....I am worried about you. I have not seen you online today. How are you??

Closed Thread