It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Damaged Hair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
    L0velife
    (female)

L0velife HB User
    Damaged Hair

My hair has been damaged chemically because of dying it for years and it's also been straightened everyday for the past three years. I've noticed my hair becoming thinner and my hair is breaking also, which is making it appear as though I have layers, but I don't.

Does anybody know if there is a certain brand of shampoo and conditioner I should use? Or possibly vitamins I could take to aid in faster hair growth and strength?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
    MoonLight0
    Inactive
    (female)

MoonLight0 HB User
    Re: Damaged Hair

I have the same issue going on since I used to dye my hair like almost every month with permanent dyes. I didn't straighten it everyday or anything like that, but I did do that occasionally, and I was so shocked to how much damage the straigthening caused. I always use heat protectants (two different ones) and other products to prevent my hair from breakage and split ends when blowdrying/straightening/curling... but once your hair is damaged, those things stop working. (Disappointing)

I was told that my cuticle is probably super weak and that I should use a protein treatment (Redken Extreme Deep Fuel specifically). So I bought that with the Extreme shampoo and conditioner.
    The Deep Fuel helped out a lot, but than again it's not a miracle product. My hair is really weak still and I get split ends and breakage, but it's not as bad as it used to be. The shampoo and conditioner don't really make much difference if you ask me. You can probably use any other shampoo and a deep conditioner and it will probably work just fine. I don't think shampoos can really save hair, the protein treatments do work though.

If you have a lot of breakage and split ends I suggest you cut it off. (I had to and that eliminated some of the damage.) I know cutting hair is probably something you don't want to do, but it has to be done if you want healthy hair to keep growing, otherwise it will just keep breaking off on its own.

There are a few vitamins you can use to help hair growth, but I personally wouldn't use them since I heard that they help boost hair growth all over the place (not just your head).
    I figure a healthy diet is better than any vitamin out there.

So basically you should just get a protein treatment (I don't know whether it matters which kind you get since they do have different ones at Sally's. I just happen to use the Redken since people recommended it to me.)
    And use a deep conditioner also. So far I don't know of any good ones that I use myself, but my sister uses the Aussie Deeeeeeep 3 minute conditioner which is really cheap and she says it works wonders. You could always try that. I've been wanting to, but I have so much conditioner lying around I don't know what to do with all of it, haha.

Anyway, good luck. Hope you find something that works for you.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
    KissyFace
    (female)

KissyFace HB User

bed head makes a really good shampoo and conditioner called Self Absorbed. I used it because i used to flat iron or curl my hair a lot! u should realy just use a straitening serum or just blow-dry it straight.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I went through this too.. I decided to go blonde gradually and one salon just used too strong of a bleach!! I'm never going back there again. Anyway, I tried Biolage products b/c I liked them in the past but they still weren't getting my hair back to normal. I dyed my hair at home with a semipermanent color (darkened it) to coat it, and it made it silkier. I used the deep conditioners that come with the color. Then I tried Loreal Vive Pro for colored hair that is dry, and my hair is so much better now! There is still a tiny bit of breakage on the underside of my hair, but I have to really search for the pieces that break and nobody notices it but me. I continue to get it trimmed and I'm sure eventually it will go away since it keeps getting better. My hair was damaged to the point where it would never feel greasy, but now even if I skip one day of washing, it gets a little bit greasy.

I flat iron my hair a few times a week and started to get highlights again.. my hair looks so much better than before! I also liked Herbal Essences for dry hair.. it smells really good and tropical. I would alternate between the two hair brands and it worked really well. I also use Biosilk Silk Therapy for flat ironing and I also put it in my wet hair after a shower so it dries really smooth and silky.

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 02-08-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
    angelik_pistol
    (female)

angelik_pistol HB User

my hair got pretty damaged after i didnt like the salon i was going to's job so i started doing it myself again, i completely redid it dying it first dark and boy did that take a toll!! i had to use k-pax reconstructor by joico and i rinsed with freezing cold water to close my cuticles after so it would stay in i had to do this a couple times and i also had to cut off a couple inches but my hair is so much better!!! right now im usuing a color shampoo by joico and i havent had to use the reconstructor in months. i was even able to hi light the top layers of my hair with not much damage.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
    L0velife
    (female)

L0velife HB User

Thank you very much for your help. I'm going to take the advice given to me by all of you and see what works best for me. I remember when I was younger that I damaged my hair greatly by wearing it up in tight ponytails all of the time which also caused my hair to break and I did use the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle conditioner and it helped a lot. I completely forgot about it. Thank you very much for all of your suggestions.

Oh, and my hair needs to be dyed again, also as my roots are growing in and my hair is blonde. I've been trying very hard to change the color to a light brown, but over the past summer someone I thought I could trust bleached my entire head instead of only putting highlights in with the bleach so it's difficult to get the color to go back to being dark because it continues to wash out to a blonde color, although it is progressively beginning to not be as blonde as it was so I am going to take the semi-permanent dye suggestion, also. And of course I will be trying to get my hair to go darker.

Thank you, again.

-Jenna

Closed Thread