It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Cured my reflux... After 12 months of trying everything.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2007, 05:02 AM   #46
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User
    Re: Cured my reflux... Apple Cider Vinager withMother

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wwjjz View Post
    Thanks October. I knew this apple cider vinegar, but I have not tried it. Because I used to have learned to "control" my acid level by taking PPI, so taking this vinegar seems is opposite to doctor's theory. But since you have tried it & it worked, I'd like to give it a try also. But here are my a couple of questions:
    1.) Which store can I buy this Apply Cider Vinegar;
    2.) How soon after meal to drink it?

Thanks so much!
    wwjz,
    That was not me (October) posting about apple cider vinegar. I have tried it on and off with no noticeable results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #47
    hopebetter
    (female)

hopebetter HB User
    Re: Cured my reflux... After 12 months of trying everything.

Thank you. Is "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" the book you mentioned? if not, that's the author of SCD?

Old 02-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #48
    hopebetter
    (female)

hopebetter HB User

Thank you. I found the book you mentioned after reading down the thred

Old 02-04-2007, 05:28 AM   #49
    hopebetter
    (female)

hopebetter HB User

Hi October,

Thanks for your effort to put so much info for us. May I ask you whether I can eat Stonyfield organic yogurt(sugars 22g), drink Ensure plus (as I am too skinny), corn? How do I know the foods have refined sugars in it?

Will this SCD diet make you lose weight?

Thank you.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:45 AM   #50
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopebetter View Post
    Hi October,

Thanks for your effort to put so much info for us. May I ask you whether I can eat Stonyfield organic yogurt(sugars 22g), drink Ensure plus (as I am too skinny), corn? How do I know the foods have refined sugars in it?

Will this SCD diet make you lose weight?

Thank you.
    Hi Hopebetter,
    The SCD diet does allow fats. Nuts, Olive Oil, butter, etc. I think as long as you include those items in the diet, you can stabilize your weight.
    The SCD diet requires that you make your own yogurt. And, the emphasis on the SCD diet is no refined sugars, starches and grains. Corn is not allowed int he diet. I'm not sure about Ensure. I doubt it though. There is a great info on the web for breaking the vicous cycle. There is an illegal/legal list of foods there. The book is really great info too.
    Give it a try.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #51
    hopebetter
    (female)

hopebetter HB User

October,

Thank you for the help. I definitely give a try ASAP. I am going to check the web site as you mentioned. Do you know whether GNC papaya enzyme chewable tablets are OK?

Thank you.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #52
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

Quote:
    October,

Thank you for the help. I definitely give a try ASAP. I am going to check the web site as you mentioned. Do you know whether GNC papaya enzyme chewable tablets are OK?

Thank you.
    Hopebetter,
    I'm not sure about the papaya enzymes. Check the ingredients against the Vicious Cicyle legal/illegal list. It must say no corn, dairy, sugar, etc.
    Good luck to you and let me know how you made out.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #53
    hopebetter
    (female)

hopebetter HB User

October,

I started SCD yesterday. I felt less gas in my stomach utill I drank two cups of grape juice(no sugar added) at dinner time. Then I felt so much acid in my mouth and tounge. I guess that we have to watch out foods that are legal with SCD but they cost acid. Is grape juice acidic? Anyone.
    I am still on SCD. Hope that it will work for me too.

Thanks a lot.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #54
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

Quote:
    October,

I started SCD yesterday. I felt less gas in my stomach utill I drank two cups of grape juice(no sugar added) at dinner time. Then I felt so much acid in my mouth and tounge. I guess that we have to watch out foods that are legal with SCD but they cost acid. Is grape juice acidic? Anyone.
    I am still on SCD. Hope that it will work for me too.

Thanks a lot.
    Hi Hopebetter,
    Yeah, when I started the SCD, I also followed the acid/reflux diet for a while too (which is to stay away from acidic foods - I guess I should have mentioned that - sorry). As I felt my stomach feeling better, I very slowly added some fruit back into my diet. Very slow at first. Make sure you fully feel the affect of having your stomach back and how that feels again, how it feels to not have reflux anymore (for me, it was over a year that my stomach felt terrible). Then, SLOWLY add acidic foods back. I wouldn't add more than one thing back in a couple of days.
    Keep going, you're doing great!

Old 02-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #55
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User

hi october, how's it going? do you have an update for us? is the diet still working for you? still dealing okay with the limitations?

Old 02-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #56
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowflake11 View Post
    hi october, how's it going? do you have an update for us? is the diet still working for you? still dealing okay with the limitations?
    yes, Hi Guys! I am still 100% on the SCD diet. And, I 100% don't have reflux anymore. How are you guys doing?

Old 02-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #57
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User

hey oct. - yeah for you! That's wonderful news. I give you credit for having the discipline to stick with the diet. I'm not there yet in commitment. I'm hoping to cure this without such an extreme measure. Thanks for the update - you're an inspiration! Keep up the good work.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #58
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowflake11 View Post
    hey oct. - yeah for you! That's wonderful news. I give you credit for having the discipline to stick with the diet. I'm not there yet in commitment. I'm hoping to cure this without such an extreme measure. Thanks for the update - you're an inspiration! Keep up the good work.
    Hey Snowflake,
    Yeah, I know it is a restrictive diet. But I can't argue with it. It is very nutritious. There are no empty calories! I think the main reason I am able to do this is because me reflux was so bad and I tried everything. I had read some scarey things about the reflux surgery and I just didn't want to go that route. The NExium, Aciphex, Protonix did nothing for me either.
    Keep on trying other things and maybe you will find something that works that isn't as restrictive. I think I mentioned that my brother in law cured his reflux on the Atkins diet.
    Keep me posted.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #59
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User

thanks for the encouragement Oct. i know there's better days ahead. keep us posted every now and again as to how you're doing. you've been such a great help here for all of us.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #60
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wwjjz View Post
    Hi, October:

I have tried on SBC diet for ~ two weeks, and I still have the throat symptons. My daily food are green veges, chicken, eggs, fish, honey, almond, carrot. I was on Zegerid 40mg for 2 weeks (sample from my GI doctor), then I switched to generic PPI omeprazole 20mgx2 per day because I have higher copay for the previous one. I tried to take later only 20mg/day but my throat hurts so I take 20mgx2 as my doc instructed.

I guess that I have to add digestive enzyem as you. Can you please tell us the brand name, price, size,... etc. Thx.
    Hi WWJZ,
    Here is the information about the digestive enzymes. They are from GNC (health food chain). They are called "Multi-Enzyme Formula". It is a "premium digestive formula that combines nine enzymes with acidophilus". As it mentions on the bottle, I take 2 capsules before every meal.
    The only other thing I am doing different than your list of foods that you eat is that I found that I have a problem with egg yolks. So, I buy the cartons of 100% egg whites from the store and have them.
    You should notice that your stomach isn't as bloated when you are on this diet.
    Also, I read a very interesting book called something like "stomach acid is good for you". And, it totally changed my thinking about digestion and stomach acid. It explains that most people who have reflux have too little acid in the stomachs, not too much. And, then on top of it, we are prescribed Nexium and such which blocks the acid even more. This book states a proven fact that the majority of people produce less stomach acid as they age.
    Therefore, those carbohydrates that are hard to digest will cause you problems. And the carbs on the SCD diet are easier to digest.
    I believe what happened to me is that I got a terrible virus a year ago and it affected my stomach and I don't produce enough acid to digest the foods like I used to. My gastro once said that sometimes you can get a "lazy stomach" after a virus, then immediately prescribed a PPI???!!!. If you think about it for a minute, how in the world does the gastro know if you have too little or too much acid. There is a test called a Bravo test, where they do an endoscopy on you and put a little device in your stomach and it monitors how much acid your stomach is producing. I was very close getting this done, but the SCD diet started kicking in and I am happy with my results. Did you have an endoscopy done that showed wearing of your esophagus (that's what I have).

So, eliminate egg yolks, take the digestive enzymes, really feel how your stomach feels after each meal and if your bloating symptoms are going away, wean yourself off of your PPI's. (also, don't eat a gigantic portion of food with each meal). If this diet is working for you, you will naturally feel like you don't have to take the PPI's any more. I know, you get kind of scared not taking them. I was scared too.
    Keep me posted.

Last edited by october885; 02-15-2007 at 08:38 AM.

Closed Thread