It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• I'm new! Almost one week quit!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
    MellieMel
    (female)

MellieMel HB User
    I'm new! Almost one week quit!

Hi- I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks, and I found this place like many others, via a Google search for Chantix. My SIL had taken it, and was successful in quitting, and encouraged me and my husband to start. I smoked at least a pack a day for 20+ years, and just got sick of it. Not only did I have the "outcast" syndrome, but my five year old son was starting to nag me to stop, and how could I resist that? I told him I'd do my very best for him! Anyway, I actually gave myself 14 days on the drug before I quit, but the last 7 out of the 14 I found the cigs tasting horrible, and really had lost the desire to smoke, it was definitely the habit. I quit last Sunday (2/11), and haven't had a cig since. My husband has also quit, although he broke down one night and smoked four while having beers, but no more since.
    I can't say I haven't had cravings, I sure have! BUT, I calm the cravings with the reminder to myself that even if I DO break down and have a smoke, it's going to taste absolutely awful, and I won't get any enjoyment out of it, so why even bother? That mentality seems to be working for me at this point, along with the help from the Chantix. I've tried to ease through the hand-to-mouth habit with those toothpick-like Stim-u-dent plaque remover thingys that have a mint flavor to them...I went through half a pack of those watching the show "24" the other night- LOL! It's better than going through a half a pack of cigarettes which is what my norm was during that show! I figure by the end of the show, I'll have the cleanest teeth in town, and my lungs will be cleaner too!
    I've even been able to have cocktails without going out of my mind for a cig...it's tough, I could sure go for one right now with my beer, but what's the point? There is none!
    I thank all of you for your encouraging posts that I read while I was lurking, and wish everyone the best in their quitting adventures. I feel pretty confident that this time I've quit for good- I haven't gone this long without a cig in over 20 years!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
    wailana
    (female)

wailana HB User
    Re: I'm new! Almost one week quit!

Congratulations on your week with no smoke! I'm eight days no smoke. I used Wellbutrin for about less than a week because the side effects were too much. The good thing was smoking was not enjoyable anymore. I stopped taking the Wellbutrin and have been smoke free ever since. My cravings are very mild and the thought of smoking just makes me want to gag. Hang in there! You're doing great already...

Smiles and Aloha,

Wailana

Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
    MellieMel
    (female)

MellieMel HB User

Wow, that's great that you were able to quit the meds after just a week, AND stay off the smokes! Keep it up- great job!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

MelliMe,
    Well Welcome. I'm glad you stopped lurking and finally joined us. The people here are the best anywhere.
    Congratulations on one week smokefree!!!! Great accomplishment!! The Stim-U-Dents are a good idea. It's the hand to mouth thing. I agree...better to use a 1/2 pack of those than smoke a 1/2 pack of cigs. You and your husband might want to stay away from the alcohol for the first month or so in your quit. The alcohol lowers your resistance and you are more likely to smoke then. Just a suggestion. If you feel you can drink and not smoke go for it! I smoked for 40 years and could never go one full day without a cigarette until I used the Chantix. I was totally amazed. I noticed you didn't mention any side effects you or your husband are having. Hopefully they are so slight they aren't worth mentioning.

Good Luck to you and your husband. Come back often and let us know how you are doing.

Memaw

Old 02-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

wailana,
    WOW! I'm impressed. 8 days smokefree and few cravings or withdrawals. I wished it was that easy for me. You have got some kind of willpower!! Now just because you're not having much trouble doesn't mean you have to stop coming here. We need you. You are an inspiration to those who want to go cold turkey.

Congratulations!!

Memaw

Old 02-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
    wailana
    (female)

wailana HB User
    Smile Re: I'm new! Almost one week quit!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Memaw649 View Post
    wailana,
    WOW! I'm impressed. 8 days smokefree and few cravings or withdrawals. I wished it was that easy for me. You have got some kind of willpower!! Now just because you're not having much trouble doesn't mean you have to stop coming here. We need you. You are an inspiration to those who want to go cold turkey.

Congratulations!!

Memaw
    Don't worry...I'll be sticking around for awhile. I may have days where I need a lot of support. Coming to this board has really helped me stay smoke free. Thanks for the positive words!!

Old 02-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
    MellieMel
    (female)

MellieMel HB User

Thanks, Memaw! The only side effect we've really had thus far is the most popular one, the nausea. I make sure I eat prior to my dose, and I'm drinking plenty of water, so it's not really too bothersome. I've been okay while having a drink or two- I just know that I've gone this long without a cig, I'm not going to screw it up now! This seems like a great board, very informative, and very helpful!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MellieMel View Post
    I quit last Sunday (2/11), and haven't had a cig since. My husband has also quit, although he broke down one night and smoked four while having beers, but no more since.
    Congratulations MellieMel almost a full week!!! What an incredible job! You will be so happy with your decision to quit! Good luck to both you and your husband!!! Keep coming back and let us know how you both are doing!

Closed Thread