It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone taking Prozac? I would like to know side effects and if it is helping?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #31
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Re: Anyone taking Prozac? I would like to know side effects and if it is helping?

I am still taking the Celexa. My last dose is today.

I won't know if I need the Prozac for a couple of days.

I just think I may have messed up my system trying to find a med. what scares me is that I had the FOG even when I was off meds for a couple of weeks. prior to takiing an SSRI. Do You think the Ativan could have caused it? Also, before I started the Klonopin and Lexapro I had a mjor ear infection and the Docs put me on a strong medication to clear that up. It was awful. I am wondering if it may have been from that med also?

As I writing this I remembered that right before my first Panic attack I had an ear infection. And then after a couple of months I had another ear infection. Maybe it is my ears? I don't know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #32
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User
    Re: Anyone taking Prozac? I would like to know side effects and if it is helping?

Jane, did you get your ears checked out by an ENT doctor yet? Ear infections are definitely linked to anxiety (in fact many infections are). I had yeast infection and imbalance in the inner ear before my first panic attack. I don't know what can cure or prevent ear infections though, you will have to ask your ENT doctor.

I am not sure about Ativan, but I suppose it does have something to do with your foggy feeling. As I said, when I took Xanax, it gave me this feeling for a few days. And my doses were SOOOO small! Some people just don't tolerate Benzos well. Be patient and wait for a week or so after you stop taking celexa, and see how you feel. You can also take Prozac in the meantime. My doctor said Prozac has very little side effects and is very easy to come off.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #33
    wailana
    (female)

wailana HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Anyone taking Prozac? I would like to know side effects and if it is helping?

Wow, I never knew about the ear connection to anxiety. I've been having ear problems since I can remember. I had about 4 surgeries on my ear. My last ear surgery was 2004 (hole in my ear drum). My ENT doctor didn't bring it up. I have to do more research into that. Thanks guys!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #34
    camjunkie
    (male)

camjunkie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by edz1961 View Post
    I took Porzac, but did nothing for me except gave me headaches, nausea and I lost total interest in sex. I stopped after 5 months and never took it again.
    I've had a very similar experience with the drug. Plus, it makes me TIRED, TIRED, TIRED (started at 20mg, decreased to 10mg, and about to QUIT!).

Old 02-18-2007, 02:29 AM   #35
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

How long have you been on it? 20 is a high dose to start.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:12 AM   #36
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

I just started taking Prozac---5mg for the first two days, then 10 mg from the third day on. Its only been 2 days and I don't feel anything yet.

Are you guys taking the generic or name brand Prozac? My doctor said it makes a huge difference in a lot of her patients. So I am on the name brand one right now.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #37
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Hey, I am off the Celexa now for 4 days and boy do i feel weird. I get these feelings like i am on a roller coaster right before you take the plung. plus... I am super depressed This is very upsetting! Is this normal? No anxiety though which is a good thing.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #38
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

gingche: how are you making out with the Prozac?

Old 02-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #39
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

Hi Jane, sorry to hear that you are not feeling so well off celexa. It must be very hard! Did your doctor suggest that you go on Prozac right away? It may help.

I have been on Prozac 5mg for 2 days then 10mg for 2 days now. So far it hasn't done much for me yet. It is supposed to take a few days to kick in. But the good thing is that I am not experiencing any major side effects either like last time when I took Lexapro . So that's a good thing. The regular dose for Prozac is 20mg, so my dose may be too low. But I will increase it very gradually, if I need it at all. I plan to take it till the spring/summer comes. Prozac is supposed to be very, very easy to wean off. So we don't have to worry about that part.

Jane, maybe you could go on Prozac to help with your withdrawl symptoms? It takes a few days to kick in, so the sooner you start the quicker you will feel better. It is much milder than celexa, and will give your body a more gradual way to get used to med free.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #40
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Each time I have started a med they would start me low to see how I react to the med. If you feel uncomfortable tell her you want to start at 5mg or 10mg.

Do these come in capsul form? Or are they tablets? i would think that you would empty 1/2 of a 10mg capsul.

Gingche: that is great that you have no side effects! This is great for you. I know you had trouble with Lexapro like me.

I am feeling pretty awful.... dizzy, foggy. It really is awful - but... I need to see how I am off meds for a couple of weeks. I hope i can last. If not i will be on Prozac.

please keep me updated on your success!

Old 02-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #41
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nina1915 View Post
    I have a question because I just started taking the generic Prozac today (fluoxetine 20 mg capsule brr). First, does anyone know what the "brr" stands for? Second, some of the other posters have said that 20 mg is a high dose to start at. My doctor told me to start at 20mg then in a few weeks see how it goes and maybe increase me to 40 mg. She said that most people need 80 mg for it to work well for them. She also told me to keep taking the Xanax Xr .5 mg once a day, twice if I needed it. Am I taking too much? I really don't feel too different and I am VERY sensitive to medications. Thanks.
    Hi, I am only taking 10mg. The dosage may depend on individual, like your sensitivity to meds, weight, age, etc. I am a small sized female (also very sensitive to meds) so my doctor started me on only 5mg (I had to break the 10mg capsule into half), then increased to 10mg (a whole cap) after 2 days. She told me 20mg is the "regular dose", so I don't know why your doctor would suggest 80? 80mg seems a LOT! I had another psychiatrist (who prescribed generic Prozac but I didn't take it since I wanted name brand) also told me that 20mg is as much as someone like me would ever need.
    Do you have major depression or just mild depression with anxiety/panic disorder?
    I have been taking 10mg of Prozac for 2 days and haven't noticed anything either. It probably takes a few days to start kicking in.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #42
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

Jane, it is good that you are willing to try without meds for a few weeks. I know it must be very hard for you, or anyone! But hang in there, and it will pass in time. I had a few really bad weeks too and I had to take xanax at one time. However, it did pass after a week or two, to my surprise. All the symptoms of anxiety and panic just subsided one day when I stopped paying attention to them. I think the linden method really helped a lot!

However, I still decided to give Prozac a try, only because I can sense slight depression deep down. And my psychiatrist thinks (which I agree) the depression is what triggered my anxiety disorder (like you). I need to get through the winter first.

Let me know how you are doing without the med. I will also keep you updated on if Prozac helps or not.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #43
    beau1954
    (male)

beau1954 HB User

Hi good morning. My doctor started me off at 5 mgs, and having me stay at this amount for a bit of time, and then increase it gradually from there. I do not know what his intended goal is, but I do not think that it will be anywhere near 80 mgs. Different doctors, and different people require different approaches, so maybe your doctor feels that starting you at 20 is appropriate. I too am very sensative to these types of medications, and this is why he started me at this dosage. In addition to this, I take Ativan as needed, which was doing the trick for me, but he wants me off the Ativan and on an SSRI, as he says that the Ativan is only a bandaid fix, and will not get to the route of the problem????
    Sorry, I do not know what the "brr" is. Likely someone else will know.
    Have a good day,
    Gary

Old 02-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #44
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

How is everyone doing on prozac.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #45
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

Hi Jane, I have been taking Prozac 10mg for a week, but haven't noticed any change at all! Don't know if this is normal. I will call my doctor on Monday and fine out if I need to up the dose. She had mention to me that eventually she wants me to be on 20mg, which is the normal dose for my size.

In the meantime, Prozac hasn't given me any side effects---maybe a little increased anxiety in the morning, but nothing I can't handle. Not too bad. I just wish it could bring a difference to my mind already!

How are you doing off celexa? Any weight or mood changes?

Closed Thread