It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Help! - "Forgotten" how to use treadmill

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
    DonnyNoel
    (male)

DonnyNoel HB User
    Unhappy Help! - "Forgotten" how to use treadmill

ok, so the title may be a little strange (especially for a first post) but please read my story and any advice is welcome.

I'm a 26 yr old male who has always dipped in and out of going to the gym for 2 years. Pre-Christmas I got up to around 12st 12lbs and as I'm only 5'8 I decided I wasn't happy with my slightly round belly. Motivation had always been a problem to go to the gym after work so I decided to go first thing in the mornings.

I absolutely loved it - no traffic, no one hogging machines, no excuses basically. So I started in the new year and went at least 5 days a week for 5 weeks. Being pretty unfit I just wanted to do cardio - never been interested in a "ripped" body as such.

I got into a good routine which I did every time I went with little or no variation:

10 minutes on the bike on a fairly hard hill programme
    10 minutes on the rower (usually around 1700 - 1800m)
    25-30 minutes on the treadmill at various paces from jogging to running.

Anyway, I was flying - dropped 8 lbs in these five weeks and felt good etc...

Now the problem - Week 6 day 1: Bike - no problem, rower no problem but then onto the treadmill. Even at the slow jog I start off with I was pratically falling over, legs in all directions like Bambi on ice. Just couldn't seem to move my legs correctly. And in the week or so since then I still cant use the treadmill. I just can't seem to move my legs fast enough or get my stride long enough. (As an aside I can still run fine when playing sport!!)

Without over-reacting have I done something wrong to my body? My legs were quite chunky/flabby before from football but now they are quite well toned and a lot slimmer.

Have I lost too much weight from my legs?
    Have I shortened my hamstrings?
    Are my legs just in need of a rest from the bike?

Sounds a strange story I know but any advice or similar experiences welcome.

Many thanks.

Last edited by DonnyNoel; 02-26-2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
    ktt
    (female)

ktt HB User
    Re: Help! - "Forgotten" how to use treadmill

How do you feel neurologically? Do you feel lightheaded, dizzy, thirsty, confused etc. Do you eat before you exercise? It's possible that you could be experiencing dehydration or low blood sugar if you're not eating or drinking enough.

How do you feel when you slow the treadmill? Can you keep up with it then and maintain your balance?

Old 02-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
    DonnyNoel
    (male)

DonnyNoel HB User

I have a light breakfast - usually toast before exercising as I get up at 6 and am out the door by 6.30 for the gym at 7 - but I too had wondered if it was something non-physical so to speak. I have had a cold recently and mild ear infection which obviously would affect my balance....

The reason I thought it strange was that I did 5 weeks no problem then out of the blue I cant use the treadmill at all - I can walk on it but even the very slow run setting has me floundering.

Anyway I went yesterday and went straight on the rower then to the treadmill. I still couldn't use it but I definitely felt better in my legs. I was trying to be very aware of my body while running and I think if anything it is my calves that feel tight. Yet when I walk around normally my legs are fine - so strong its like Im walking on air sometimes even... So I've decided to have a few days of for the rest of this week and try again next week and see how it goes, rest my calves and fully shake my cold.

Thanks for the advice, will post updates etc.

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
    ktt
    (female)

ktt HB User

I would also try eating more since if you are basically doing this on no sustenance and you've been fasting during sleep so it's a long time for your body to go without refueling and then ask it to do some intense cardio.

Try some oatmeal, that's what I usually have before I go to the gym and maybe you should try the treadmill first when your body has just gotten a new supply of glucose.

Uusally when you are low on glucose you start feeling shaky, unstable, anxious etc. Make sure you have plenty of water so you don't dehydrate (we've all seen how those runners in races who are dehydrated stagger like drunks). It could be your ear too but try some simple things like rest, water and food and see how it goes. Good Luck

Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
    DonnyNoel
    (male)

DonnyNoel HB User

Thanks Ktt.

Well while I'm certainly not back to normal as such but I can do my 20-30 minutes on the treadmill again. I've changed my routine and am staying clear of the bike for now. Just 25 mins on treadmill then 20 on the rower.

I'm definitely over-thinking this though (which may be another problem itself now I think about it doh!). One day I think my stride is asymmetrical, another I think it could be as Im curling my toes in my shoes, are my calves tight? are my quads tight? are my hammys tight? Definitely not in the same "brain-off and run" rhythm that I used to have but maybe that will come back in time.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
    ktt
    (female)

ktt HB User

Hi D,

That's true when you start to overthink rather than using muscle memory it begins to feel awkward It does sound like things are improving though. Good Luck

Closed Thread