It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia and Chewing Ice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #16
    09hockey09
    (female)

09hockey09 HB User
    Re: Anemia and Chewing Ice

i was wondeirng if anyone had any other things they crave besides ice? i crave ice, dirt, sand anything that will crunch in my teeth, but i have one thing i crave that is embarassing, people would think i was weird. does anyone have any weird cravings? would i be shunned if i shared my weird craving?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
    chipchip
    (female)

chipchip HB User

I also chew ice now stop, finally got my doc to do a iron count and found out severe anemic and low ferritin. I have been driving my family nuts with this.
    Chip

Old 03-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #18
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Besides ice, I wanted to eat Gain laundry detergent and Comet cleanser. I don't have those cravings anymore now that I am on iron pills.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #19
    barbw
    (female)

barbw HB User

I am happy to report that my ice chewing craving is officially GONE!!!!!! I was driving my daughter nuts, I am sooo glad that I had that infusion!!

Have a good day everyone!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #20
    bononi
    (female)

bononi HB User

After my first iron infusion, my ice obsession started going away. After six weeks of infusions, I can't believe I ever craved ice. Although I now need 4 crowns!!!!
    The best part is that my iron level is now 11.2, the highest it has been in 6 years and I feel human again. No more spending days on the couch with heart palpatations and waking up with severe headaches.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #21
    laura3377
    (female)

laura3377 HB User
    Red face Re: Anemia and Chewing Ice

Funny that you mention needing crowns. I went to my check-up at the dentist last week and he told me I had fractures on some of my back teeth and that eventually I would need crowns on those teeth. I knew immediately it had to be from chewing the ice and he confirmed it. Now not only do I have the anemia to deal with but teeth issues. I've tried to cut back on the ice chewing. I don't normally do it at work so much because it would drive the people around me crazy but on my lunch hour I leave with a cup full of ice and in the evening I chew on it until I go to bed.

Last edited by laura3377; 05-16-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #22
    bononi
    (female)

bononi HB User

Laura-
    Please talk to a hemotologist and get the iron infusions. There is no reason why you should suffer. By being severely anemic you are compromising your heart, as well as other organs. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #23
    laura3377
    (female)

laura3377 HB User

Hi Bononi -

I have been to a hematologist and had a bone marrow biopsy. They found no iron in my bone marrow. They did suggest that I get iron infusions but I've been too scared to do it. I told my Dr. I would take supplements for six weeks and see if that helps - if not, then infusions here I come! The fatigue and shortness of breath makes me feel horrible.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #24
    bononi
    (female)

bononi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura3377 View Post
    Hi Bononi -

I have been to a hematologist and had a bone marrow biopsy. They found no iron in my bone marrow. They did suggest that I get iron infusions but I've been too scared to do it. I told my Dr. I would take supplements for six weeks and see if that helps - if not, then infusions here I come! The fatigue and shortness of breath makes me feel horrible.
    Laura-

The way my hemotologist explained it to me is that if you don't have any iron stores left (I didn't), it didn't matter how many iron supplements I took-you need the stores to hold the supplements. Did that make sense? The infusions don't hurt. You sit in a chair for an hour with a needle in your arm receiving iron and you don't feel anything. I promise-I hate pain. They gave me a Benedryl drip for 20 minutes first to insure I wouldn't have a reaction to the iron. The infusions were the best thing I did for myself in a long time. Don't wait-you won't believe the difference.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #25
    laura3377
    (female)

laura3377 HB User

The hematologist didn't tell me that but maybe that's why he and my PCP were pushing so hard for me to get the infusions. I'm not so scared of the pain but more so of the side effects or of having a bad reaction. I think I will give my hematologist a call regarding the infusions. I know it would be the quickest way for me to feel better.

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #26
    barbw
    (female)

barbw HB User

I agree. the iron infusion was the best thing I had done for myself for a long time, I do not store iron either, and will have these infusions the rest of my life, but I am so happy to feel this much better, I would do it every week if I had to. Don't wait, you deserve to feel good!

Closed Thread