It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• How to get and upkeep platinum blonde hair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User
    How to get and upkeep platinum blonde hair

My preference for haircolor for myself is either a really beautiful deep brown color or a really bright nice blonde color...and brown didnt work out for me so Im going for blonde....this time platinum

Im sorry to tell my hair's life story but...Ive always been some shade of blonde, but its always been highlighted over and over to get that way. I was naturally blonde young but my hair keeps getting darker as I get older. So now I guess my hair would be considered a dark blonde or light ashe brown color. Whatever it is I hate it and want something different. Ive never liked the platinum blonde look until just recently, I dont know why.

I want to try it out but am afraid that its going to be a really ugly yellowish color and Im trying to acheive a color like for example...the recent christina aguilara, anna nicole, or the girls next door (Holly and Kendra). Well you know what Im talking about.

So, how to you get your hair to that perfect tone and how do you upkeep it as far as touching up roots or perhaps toning. I prefer to do it myself and I want to know if its going to take two boxes of dye and what brand and what shade? Thank you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
    twiceblessed
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twiceblessed HB User
    Re: How to get and upkeep platinum blonde hair

This is gonna take a loooooot of upkeep. I am also naturally blonde, but mine has darkened over the years as you described. I struggle with that too, because in the summer I am blonde, blonde BLONDE from the sun, but this time of year it wanes and I start to hate it.

Just from that process alone (fading of the sun-induced light blonde) I can tell you that platinum is going to take a lot of upkeep at your shade. I don't dye so I can't recommend a shade or brand, etc. but just becareful not to do damage in over dying!

Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
    Yekcoh4
    (female)

Yekcoh4 HB User

I dye my brown hair platinum myself and I do the roots every 4 or 5 weeks. The color lifts so quickly with the kit I use that it's barely a 15 minute job. Definitely easier NOT to do it, but it's not too tough Though I am thinking of going darker again...I like to change it up from time to time!

If you plan on doing it your self: If your hair is dark, do NOT buy a box color and expect it to make you Marilyn Monroe, lol....it will turn you orange, those dyes usually cannot lift dark hair. Go to a professional beauty supply store and get a High Lift blonde shade designed specifically for brunettes (they will specify this on the box) and a 20 or 30 developer. If it still turns out a little brassy, a toner can easily fix that, also found in the beauty supply store.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I don't know ANY friends who dye their hair lighter blonde at home and have it come out looking not-yellowish. I would recommend going to a pro if you can. A lot of places' prices aren't too bad. They will get the color you want and use a toner to get any yellow out of it. My hairstylist recommends for me to use a violet colored shampoo once a week or so for my blonde highlights to keep from getting brassy. I haven't been doing it though! I would think that if you went completely platinum, it would be good to do this too to keep the color light and not brassy. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
    cuddledumplin
    Veteran
    (female)

cuddledumplin HB User

Yeah, you're going to have to get it done by a professional. Blonding more than a shade or so at home is a recipie for brassy hair color.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
    punkybear
    Veteran
    (female)

punkybear HB User

Yes, definitely have a pro do it. Going platinum blonde can be a very damaging process. Also, after you have it done use Redken Blonde Glam shampoo. It will keep it from turning brassy over time.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
    opple
    Inactive
    (female)

opple HB Useropple HB User

My daughter has brown hair and used to use Wellite. It seems to be the most effective kit out there for going much lighter without prof help.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
    ducttape1000
    Inactive
    (female)

ducttape1000 HB User

sounds like we are in the same situation. Here is a little background on my hair: when I was younger it was really blonde and has darkened over the years. It is now also a dirty blonde/ashy brown color naturally. I am 24. In the summer I like to go super blonde. I've been dying it myself since 18. I use clairol's born blonde and either a cap or foil (depending on how many highlights i need at the time). I dont think born blonde comes in shades, it just lightens your hair. Depending on the time of year, I leave it on anywhere from 15 min to 1 hr. It WILL look orange....this is why you need to also purchase the "born blonde toner". I get it at sally's. This is purple and will get rid of the brassyness. I like the "wheat" color to get the platinum look. My main advice is: never ever dye your whole head...always do highlights...I don't care how blonde you want it. If you do highlights - even if you do a lot, your roots will look natural. People comment..."wow, the sun really has lightened your hair this summer." the sun? yeah right. I like to have think I have perfected dying my hair blonde....now does anyone have advice on dying it a dark brown? I have tried before and it never turns out well. Has anyone dyed brown over this bleached hair?? Mine always looks gray! I would love to be medium/dark brown in the winter and plantinum in the summer? It seems like I'm always just different shades of blonde....I've also thought about going red in the fall/winter, but this frightens me.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

Well, I have tried to dye my hair from blonde to dark brown before and the only advice I have about that is dye it a medium brown color first to make sure its not too dark for you then recolor it again with same color if you like it or make it darker if you want. Either way it will take at least two coats to get it a solid color with storebought stuff. I had blotchy spots after I tried it once before I re-dyed it.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
    fatoom90
    (female)

fatoom90 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
    I don't know ANY friends who dye their hair lighter blonde at home and have it come out looking not-yellowish. I would recommend going to a pro if you can. A lot of places' prices aren't too bad. They will get the color you want and use a toner to get any yellow out of it. My hairstylist recommends for me to use a violet colored shampoo once a week or so for my blonde highlights to keep from getting brassy. I haven't been doing it though! I would think that if you went completely platinum, it would be good to do this too to keep the color light and not brassy. Good luck!
    What's a violet colored shampoo? what are the brands that sell it?

Last edited by fatoom90; 03-02-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #11
    Sue21
    (female)

Sue21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatoom90 View Post
    What's a violet colored shampoo? what are the brands that sell it?
    I use Generic Brand that is sold at Sally's Beauty Supply. It says right on the black-and-white bottle "Compare to Clairol Shimmering Lights Shampoo".

It's great for getting the brassy color out of blonde hair!!! Go for the generic. It works great and was recommended to me by my stylist.

Sue

Old 03-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #12
    fatoom90
    (female)

fatoom90 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sue21 View Post
    I use Generic Brand that is sold at Sally's Beauty Supply. It says right on the black-and-white bottle "Compare to Clairol Shimmering Lights Shampoo".

It's great for getting the brassy color out of blonde hair!!! Go for the generic. It works great and was recommended to me by my stylist.

Sue
    Well well well... I cant reach that store. is the Clairol Shimmering Light Shampoo good any way? & what do you mean by generic brand?
    Sorry I dont wanna drive you crazy

Old 03-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
    Sue21
    (female)

Sue21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatoom90 View Post
    Well well well... I cant reach that store. is the Clairol Shimmering Light Shampoo good any way? & what do you mean by generic brand?
    Sorry I dont wanna drive you crazy

Generic is the name of a brand that takes name-brand (i.e. Clairol, Paull Mitchell, Nexxus) products and makes the generic version of them. Instead of buying Jello (name-brand), you buy Shop Rite gelatin mix (generic).

Clariol brand Shimmering Lights shampoo would be great. The one at Sally's is just a generic form of that. However, I think that the Clairol brand would be more expensive.

I would assume there are other brands (both name-brand and generic) that make violet-colored shampoo. Can you ask a hairstylist, or a clerk at a beauty supply store? Ask them for a violet colored shampoo that brightens and takes away the brassiness of blonde hair.

PS--this is not the type of shampoo you use everyday. In the summer, when the sun bleaches my hair very bright, I use it 1 or 2 times a week MAXIMUM. In the winter, I use it 1 to 2 times a month.

Sue

Old 03-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

Well I went to tw different stores today and I decided not to go platinum just because I decided I dont like it much anymore, but I was told by the girl who is not a stylist at one store to use a 40 developer and the other girl at the other store told me not even use 30, just 20 because the 40 will damage my hair. The lighter that I got was somethingin a packet with blue, the other two were golden which I dont want and purple. Well I guess well see, Oh! and I got born blonde toner in light cool blonde, I thought it would be a good mix between ash and golden.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #15
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

5 sad hours later.....Nope! Never again. I shouldve listened to most of you went to a professional. I bought the blue powder in a packet that you have to mix with the developer. I decided to start with my roots being that its the darkest, then I got tired of brushing them on after I got my top roots finished so I decided to slather the rest on. BAD IDEA! No. 1, doing it that way made the dye completely miss some of my hair because this stuff is not a cream like the store bought ones, it dries to powder after a while and you cant mush it all together like shampoo to make sure everythings covered. Stupid of me! No. 2, because I put it on my roots with the brush it covered it more, making my roots actually lighter than my ends, when it shouldve been vice versa. UGLY! So I panicked and went out and bout one of loreals colors and redid my whole hair, probably drying the heck out of my hair, then I depended on that born blonde toner to fix the goldey yellowness, which it helped my ends too much and didnt help my roots enough, so now I have overtoned ends and still yellowey roots. HELP!!!!

Last edited by saphire82; 03-05-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Closed Thread