It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Dr. Jeoffrey Tobias of NY and NJ

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2004, 10:53 AM   #31
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User
    Smile Re: Dr. Jeoffrey Tobias of NY and NJ

In response to your concerns about open vs closed rhinoplasty - I have had both - and I was terrified of the open - before I had it. I was pleasantly surprised afterwards to realize that it wasn't such a big deal. I had a few stitches between my nostrils afterwards and a small scar was visible for a couple of months - not something anyone would notice though. Now, after almost 6 months, I cannot see any scar at all. I would definitely recommend that you not worry about open vs closed - just find a good surgeon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #32
    diana22

diana22 HB User
    Re: Dr. Jeoffrey Tobias of NY and NJ

Hi everyone,
    Thank you so much for your responses. I haven't decided anything yet- still doing research. Wow Bev- 25 years! That's a long time! For me 2 years is too long because even though I waited a long time to do it the first time, once I did it and it didn't come out the way I wanted, there is no way I can have that kind of patience. I believe I did hear of Dr. Becker, if it's the same one they mentioned on Rhino 4 You- but I don't really remember what I read, I believe there were some negative comments. I haven't had a chance to look but I will. I would really like to be able to go to someone closer- if it's NJ I could just go there and come home, I wouldn't have to sleep over, but so far the only really promising doctors seem to be Davis and Pensler, though I haven't heard as much about Pensler and I need more info. Have you had a chance to find out anything about Becker?
    Thanks Jaquiline and Elle for your reassurance about open and closed. I never would have even considered open because I always heard about closed and how open is rarely necessary. I'm not even as concerned about scarring as I am about the procedure itself. It sounds so drastic! But I will do some reading about it. Good luck to you Bev and Jaquiline- maybe we can come up with the best surgeon by putting our heads together. And Elle- do you have pictures posted anywhere? I don't know too much about this site yet- is there an option for posting? Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Diana

Old 09-12-2004, 08:37 PM   #33
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User

I'm not sure how I would point you to any pictures of me on the internet - it seems like I am unable on this site to state any specific websites. I don't have a website devoted to my nose surgery either - I am a private person and I have not been public with everyone that I work with about my surgeries - so I would be hesitant to have pictures posted on the internet talking about my surgeries. If there were some way you could contact me in confidence - I do have pictures on the internet in the news from something completely unrelated - I don't even know though if discussing this violates the rules of this website and I really don't want to do that when I feel it is a very helpful website - even when completely anonymous. I don' know what else I can add. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:56 PM   #34
    beverg

beverg HB User

Hi Elle

Keep it private and to yourself.. I know how you feel..I do not discuss mine with anybody--not even my family

Old 09-14-2004, 10:35 AM   #35
    diana22

diana22 HB User

Hi Elle,
    It's okay, I was just asking out of curiosity- only if it was something you wanted to share, not something that I absolutely must see. I understand you're wanting your privacy- I talked about my nose more openly before my first surgery but now after, and especially with not being happy about the results, I don't really feel like talking to anyone about it either (outsiders that is) because they just don't feel it the same way as those who are in the same situation. That shouldn't really be though because everybody has their own thing that affects them, not necessarily a physical aspect, but whatever it is, the effects are the same. I guess it's hard to imagine that something that doesn't bother you could bother someone else so much but it makes me crazy when people can't seem to see the bump (one doctor called it a hump, which sounds even worse! and which actually it is) and the crookedness in my nose and they say that it's fine. That's just unbelievable to me.
    Bev, I was just looking at the other site briefly and I saw mention of a Dr. Glasgold in NJ who seems interesting. I looked at his site and I will do some more research on him. Will let you know of anything I find.
    Diana

Old 09-14-2004, 04:08 PM   #36
    beverg

beverg HB User

Hi Di

I also keep nose to myself..People think that I am crazy and they just don't get it..It bothers me. I don't talk about it because I do not want people to think of me as being vain. I am not vain at all..It was just something that bothered me and at the age of 25 I decided to make a change and I have regreted it since then. Here I am 51 and still thinking about it..It is draining and exhausting..I am glad that I found this board to share my feelings..
    Let me know any info that you found out about the doc..

Take care everyone
    Bev

Old 09-20-2004, 11:07 AM   #37
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User

Wow, I think that we who have posted on this board can all understand the psychological aggravations of not liking your nose! It is really difficult! For me, the hardest thing was that my mother was very judgemental about people who were "vain" and so I have never even been able to talk to her about my surgeries for fear of her judging me! So I am well aware of some of the psychological problems that come along with all of this! Most people don't pay much attention to others and so it only makes sense that most people wouldn't notice how your nose is not what you want it to be. In the end, you must make yourself happy. When you look in the mirror or go out into the world, the way you feel about yourself matters! But I must add, that it is important to realize that no one (and no nose) is perfect. You must make peace with yourself - but if you have done that (like me) and you still wanted to change your nose - then go for it! And don't let anyone make you feel bad about it. I don't talk about it with very many people (only close friends, my sisters and husband) but I am okay with myself, inside and outside. That's what matters.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:49 AM   #38
    KristaB

KristaB HB User

Dr. Tobias did my rhino with very poor results. I've been researching revision for five years and am going to pick between Toriumi and Dr. Denenberg in Omaha. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #39
    whoNoseII

whoNoseII HB User

Tobias did my primary about six weeks ago. My nostrals are totally uneven. I hate them and now am embarassed to be seen this way. I did not have this issue prior to the procedure. I am now looking for a doctor for a second opinion and revision in six months. I would not recommend Tobias to anyone.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #40
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User

I guess I will post one more time about my experiences. Dr. Tobias messed up my nose. The more I see the results of my revision with Dr. Toriumi, the more I am sure that Dr. Tobias doesn't know what he's doing. Over time, my nose after surgery with Dr. Tobias looked worse and worse. As the swelling subsided, the misplaced cartilage became more evident and my nose got pointier and less symmetrical. Now, after surgery with Dr. Toriumi, my nose looks better all the time. Please, if you read these boards, trust the opinion of the patients here!

Old 09-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #41
    noseworthy
    (female)

noseworthy HB User
    Dr. Toriumi

I feel mixed about his Before/Afters, and I was hoping you guys could help:
    ( url removed ) click on the direct link to patient photos.

What I like is he seems to be really good at correcting asymmetries. What I don't like is the fact that half of the noses don't look significantly better from dead on than they did before. It's like he hardly changes anything from the front.

Do you guys know anything more about Dr. Toriumi? Is he any good?

Last edited by moderator2; 09-18-2005 at 01:25 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no websites

Old 09-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #42
    noseworthy
    (female)

noseworthy HB User

elle-- why was your surgery so expensive? was it a revision rhino?

Old 09-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #43
    labellapiel
    (female)

labellapiel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KristaB
    Dr. Tobias did my rhino with very poor results. I've been researching revision for five years and am going to pick between Toriumi and Dr. Denenberg in Omaha. Good luck!

Krista, I am looking at both Toriumi and Denenberg for my revision. I have had 4 surgeries and each one ends up leaving me with a worse nose. I live here in Austin, Texas and am willing to travel anywhere. I broke my nose and tried to get it repaired and noone seems to be able to. I'm looking for the best revision doc. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2005, 04:45 PM   #44
    whoNoseII

whoNoseII HB User

I had my nose done by Dr. Tobias apprx. 8 weeks ago. I am very unhappy with it. My nostrils are very uneven. They looked deformed. I know there is swelling involved, but this is not due to swelling. I am now very afraid of how the rest of it will come out. I am now looking for a revision doctor. I was recommended to Dr. Lawrence Reed, but he is not available until October. I am so unhappy. I cry every night. I have lost weight and am not in good shape.

I would strongly advise you to keep looking.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #45
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User

Hi,

Just wanted to answer the question that was posed to me as to why my surgery was so expensive. (Sorry about the long delay getting back to you but I don't visit these boards often anymore since i am now finally happy with my nose!) My surgery was a revision - a second one in fact. Dr. Tobias did my first surgery and a revision when he agreed with me that my nose didn't look good. After the revision, I didn't go back to him. I didn't think he could fix it. I gave him a chance to fix it and he didn't. That's it. At some point, you have to realize that he is just not good. So I went to Dr. Toriumi and I am happy now. My surgery was expensive but truly it was a bargain. Surgery with Dr. Toriiumi - 11000 dollars (or so). Good self esteem and confidence in yourself - PRICELESS!
    Btw, somebody asked me at some point what exactly was the problem with my nose. Initially, my nose was big, bulbous, projected and bumpy. After my first rhinoplasty, my nose was still projected, narrower but really uneven. After my first revision (with Dr. Tobias) my nose was less projected but the tip became droopy and pointed. My nose didn't look natural at all! Finally after surgery with Dr. Toriumi my nose is not too big, the tip is rounded and even. One thing that I will say is that it takes a long time for the swelling to come down - even now after 1 and a half years, I can still see the swelling lessening. Dr. Toriumi warns of this. He says that after so many surgeries, my nose is only 60 percent healed after 1 year. That is a long time but truthfully my nose looks good now and has looked good ever since the surgery. It improves over time but the changes are subtle. Well, that's my story. Hope it helps someone.

Closed Thread