It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Lasik danger!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
    donb7
    Inactive
    (female)

donb7 HB User
    Re: Lasik danger!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onataliya View Post
    Hi!
    This is absolutely ridiculous what you told us about your complications. Mine were just trouble focusing, weird vision for the 1st month or so (very different from what I saw with glasses), slight blurriness in the right eye due to some swelling probably (the pupil in that eye was slightly bigger than in the other one) but according to them it`s 20/15 in both eyes.. Plus it seems like they did change the way my eyes look as well.. 2 months of crapy vision and eye pain did the damage to my emotional state and I don`t care about this Lasik crap vision any more.
    Give me my glasses and my natural eyes back for God`s sake! What a relief that would be! I could never imagine I could cause myself so much suffering!
    I really believe now that this Intralase crap is much worse than the blade.
    Did they tell you about possible complications before the procedure?
    I can`t remember if they warned me before the procedure of what actually happened to me afterwards... I really was under impression that Intralase doesn`t have any complications.. They never mentioned it could take forever (if ever) for the eyes to heal..
    hi, I was just wondering if you are better now. My sister had this done about 2 months ago and it has not went well. The right is ok but fuzzy and the left eye is very blurry. She can see but says everything is blurry and at night it is worse. It changes all the time but not for the better. She is very depressed and this is making it very hard for her to just do every day things. She also suffers from Rhem. Arthritis on top of this. She feels very hopeless and the doctor does not really have a answer. We are going this week to see if she can get a contact but he thinks this will be hard because of eyeshape and a stigmatism.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

donb7,
    Is she using eye drops? Believe it or not, your eye can be dry and either she won't feel it as dryness or she won't feel it at all. If she isn't already, tell her to get some preservative free or non-preserved eye drops. My suggestion is Optics Laboratory Minidrops Eye Therapy (if you type that into a search engine you can find out what the box looks like and what stores in your area they sell them). They have been wonderful for me. I am 2 years and 2 months post-op and still have some dry eye first thing in the AM but, for the first 6 months or more after my surgery, my eyes were terribly dry and it did effect my vision by making things blurry. And, they were at their worst at night because they would be really tired. Tell her to try to stay from underneath or above a heat or air conditioning source and fans. Have her get one or two good humidifiers for her home and use drops once an hour or more if needed if she isn't already doing so.

When your eyes are dry, it manifest itself in blurriness. Our eyes need a really large amount of moisture both to function well and to heal well after surgery. Her surgery could be a complete success but, if she has a dry eye issue, she may not see immediate improvement until she gets it under control.

Take care and keep in touch!
    I hope this helps!

Old 03-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
    kessa
    (female)

kessa HB User

My husband had it done and it turned out great. 20/15 and 20/20. It was over a year ago. He is so happy. Sorry it didn't work out so well with you. My husband also went to co. that did Tiger Woods.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
    midnightblue
    (female)

midnightblue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onataliya View Post
    Hi,
    Just would like to warn others about Lasik danger. I was sucked into it because of the Intralase thinking it`s safer than the blade. It caused me so much pain and suffering. I`m 3 months out of it and didn`t have a single happy day! It`s very, very dangerous. I see some people are happy with it, well, this is pure luck...I thought I would be happy too.. There`s nothing worse than messing up with the eyes. Glasses are not much fun, but you won`t die from wearing them, as I believe now, you can die from Lasik. If you have problems, chances are you`ll be worrying all the time, depressed, not being able to work, actually, not being able to do anything because your eyes hurt and you can`t see, it could be very disruptive to your life...Imagine if you have to study or work and have these problems? I`m experiencing all these "nice" things now... What if that happens to you? Unless you`ll have the greatest surgeon in the world and the blade procedure? Or will be lucky? Are there any guarantees? I don`t know. The healing period could be very difficult.. All I know I`m having it. People say it should get better. But at what cost? If I only knew it would be like this I would be very happy with my glasses. Eyes are too precious to risk. Again, my procedure was Intralase with a well known doctor in our area..
    I've noticed your other posts here, sorry to hear that you are still having problems, however I don't think it is luck that most people have success from Lasik, it is just bad luck that you didn't.
    I'm sure that you were well informed about the risks before your procedure and unfortunately you are in the small minority that experiences difficulties, millions of others have had great success so you can't really call that luck.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
    Jenteal
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenteal HB User

I don't know who did Tiger Woods eyes byt my husband to be had Stephen F. Brint in New Orleans do his. Dr. Brint performed the first LASIK procedure in the United States and teaches other doctors as well.

My husband to be could not get the regular Lasik done casue he had toric vision and was legally blind. In one eye he had to few crystals and the other he had floaters in it. Instead of lazering the eye and lifting the flap they had to apply the lasik directly to his eye ball. He sad he could smell his eye ball burning. I believe the correct name of the procedrue was PRK. They applied a clear lense that had to remain in place since they burned off his original one. They removed it in about 3 weeks when his body grew a new lens.

The first 3 days his eyes ached really bad. He had 5 kinds of drops. One was a wetting kind that he had to apply at least every 30 min for a month. Three were different levels of numbing drops depending on how bad his eyes hurt, and the other were steriods. His eyes got better over time but they were not 20/20 until the 4 month.

It's the best thing he every did. He said he'd do it again without any thought. It was $5500 The pain was not like if you hit your hand with a hammer he described it more like an achy feeling inside the back of his eyes. Of course he could not rub his eyes cause that was against the rules. They gave him soft foam goggles to sleep in so he would not rub them. If he did the doctor told him he would go blind. It been a little over a year and still over joyed. Does not need the drops anymore either.

I'm sorry that you have such a bad experience. My dad is 68 and is in the process of getting his eyes done from the Dr. Brint as well.

Jenteal

Old 06-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
    2 Sharp Rob
    (male)

2 Sharp Rob HB User

My friend and I went at the same time I had lasik she had interlace, she had a lot of pain and a hicky on both eyes I had no pain and it was quick and easy. They did tell her she had little eyes and that is why they had a problem. But I have 20/20 in both eyes only 2 weeks after surgury and I even had a problem with my flap shifting. You can watch the video of the actual sugury on *******. I'm glad I had it done first!

Old 07-21-2007, 07:42 AM   #7
    john10
    (male)

john10 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midnightblue View Post
    I've noticed your other posts here, sorry to hear that you are still having problems, however I don't think it is luck that most people have success from Lasik, it is just bad luck that you didn't.
    I'm sure that you were well informed about the risks before your procedure and unfortunately you are in the small minority that experiences difficulties, millions of others have had great success so you can't really call that luck.

The wall street journal says that chronic dry eye after lasik is about 5% there are also other studies which shows quite high stats for long term dry eye. and this is only dry eye as a complication, there other comlications suchas halos, bad quality of vision etc. So fine it is still a small minority, but when millions of people get this surgery 5% still seems like alot of people. Most medical surgerys (non cosmetic) complications are alot lower. thats why there are numerous websites dedicated to lasik dangers. Just make an informed decision.

Last edited by john10; 07-21-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
    dddaqueen
    (female)

dddaqueen HB User
    Angry Re: Lasik danger!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midnightblue View Post
    Luck or no luck, I am living a similar horrific experience from Lasik!! I had it done 10 days ago and cannot see to do much of anything. My right eye is blurry constantly and it's puffy when I wake up every morning. My doctor is very well known for his lasik procedure in my area and claims to be the firefighter and police dept. lasik doctor. He was nice at first and then lost interest in me as soon as he got my money and did the procedure. The next day follow-up he said all looked good and told me to wait 2 weeks. It has been the longest two weeks so far! I was impressed to beleive I could drive to the visit the next day and life would be great. So far, this stinks and I am very sorry I did it!! I keep using eye drops often but it doesn't seem to help so far. Maybe there's a reasonable explanation to my troubles and if I had a caring doctor, he would explain it to me but right now I'm very disappointed!!
    I'm just hoping I can get glass this week so I can see again and drive and do normal things! Plus, I need to go back to work in a few weeks and I'm really concerned!!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
    PixieJen
    (female)

PixieJen HB User

My boyfriend just had Lasik done a week ago. He's fine and very happy with the results. He followed the steps very carefully with the steroid eye drops every day for a week and the regular moisturizing drops whenever his eyes feel dry. He wore the goggle/ glasses to bed for 4 nights and wore sunglasses for 2 days straight after the procedure.
    I also know 3 people at work who had it done and my boyfriend's brother had it done as well and none of them had any problems whatsoever. On my end Lasik still looks like a good idea. Maybe those of you who are experiencing major trouble should get a lawyer, this looks like malpractice.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
    eruiz67
    (female)

eruiz67 HB User

How are you doing now???? I'm thinking you were just having a bad healing phase...(and I hope your eyesight gets better)....I had lasik 1 month ago and was undercorrected ....from -8 , -7 to -2 in both eyes....I am wearing glasses now till I can get an enhancement

Old 07-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
    smartgal
    Veteran
    (female)

smartgal HB User

I think a lot of people go into it with unrealistic expectations (and the doctor I went to gave a five page consent form listing all possible complications). I was a minus 7.5 and tested the next day at 20/20, but my vision is in and out and I know that it will take months to stabilize.

I was also told that if you have autoimmune disease (such as RA) you are not a good candidate for the procedure.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #12
    Eubie63
    (female)

Eubie63 HB User
    Angry Re: Lasik danger!!

I saw the opthamologist today (roughly three years post-Lasik) and learned that my vision in my eyes has deteriorated since the procedure. One year after the procedure, my eyesight was 20/25 in each eye (20/20 when I had both eyes open at the same time). Now it is 20/50 in the right eye and 20/25 in the left eye. The doctor (a different dr. then the one who did the surgery, who was injured in a hunting accident a couple of years ago and had to stop seeing patients/doing surgery due to a tremor in his arm) said that the problem with the right eye is due to striation of the cornea. He the asked if I wanted a prescription for glasses. I said no, since I see fine to drive and can read without any problem. This stinks. I had Lasik to get out of glasses and contacts and now they want to put me back into glasses. I have complete confidence in the doc who did the surgery. He had been my opthamologist since I was 16 or 17, and prior to Lasik surgery I had researched his background (education, malpractice, etc.). He was listed in various "Best Doctors" publications, no malpractice cases (I had access to legal databases at the time), everything about him was positive. Grrr.....

Closed Thread