It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• My Stapedectomy report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #76
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User
    Re: My Stapedectomy report

Dwalt,

How funny you should use that phrase. "No Pain, No Gain" - That's why I've been telling myself!

It's interesting you mentioned salt too. I buy unsalted everything and don't put salt on anything, but the last 2 weeks I've been craving salt ALOT. So the saltier the fries, the better right now. Guess I should watch that, huh.

More later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 02-26-2007 at 07:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #77
    LucBob
    (male)

LucBob HB User

Hi Carol and All,
    Today I completed 1 Week after surgery and went for my first return visit with the doctor. The office was packed (as ususal) and I took a 10 Question sheet to ask him right away. The weird thing is that "he did not ask me anything", not even how I did I do the last 7 days...Here's a summary:
    - He removed the packing (with the help of a micro-vacuum cleaner, I'm not kidding )
    - Ask me if I hear anything. I said I hear very low and ditorted like in a tin can.
    - No more need for cottonballs
    - release me to shower with no ear protection but no swimming.
    - I may take a flight in one week from now.
    Unbelievable...very different from my first doctor, much more conservative.

Anyway, today was also my first day back to work. I'm already driving and I confess it's much more comfortable to speak on the phone through my "good ear" rather than personally where you need to be lip reading to make sure you got the meassage. I'm still dizzy and I need to concentrate to walk on a straight line. Did not feel quite OK on my first day back. When I went out to lunch, I felt disoriented with too much noise coming into one ear only. It seemed that everyone was screaming at the restaurant. Not comfortable at all. Then I had to set my mind to have a lot of patience because this will be a gradually slow moving development process. Patience pays and I keep on remembering the evolution of my 1st surgery.

Carol, I never had a different tasting (metallic or sweet). On my 1st surgery I believe my dizziness went out completely after a month or so. What I do remember is that shortly after that, my life got back to normal. So normal that I just forgot for a long time I had that surgery in the past. And that for me is the best sign. If you forget it's because it does not bother you anymore and it's not an issue. No restrictions, swimming , flights, even scuba diving. I'm looking forward to those days again as I'm still entering my 2nd week after surgery and have a long way to go. Meanhwile, I'll have to cope with alll these several discomforts: stuffy ear (even without the packing) , still low and bad quality hearing and dizziness. It seems I have a malfunction and will not be fixed again but this is just a feeling that will go away day by day.

So be strong and have a lot of patience to heal yourself.
    regards
    Luciano

Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #78
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

Quick note - GRRRRRRRRRR!

Been waiting and waiting for today to get the packing out and get my first hearing test.

I was really looking forward to taking a shower in the morning without having to hold a cup over my ear!

Doctors office called, he had an emergency and had to leave. Now I'm rescheduled for Monday (5 more days).

More later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 02-28-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #79
    LucBob
    (male)

LucBob HB User

Take it easy Carol.
    I know the feeling. It's a relief to take out the packing and your doctor will probably free you to wet your ear and wash your hair. This is the good part. However, it's likely that your doc will not make a hearing test right after removing the packing because the ear is still healing (you will still feel it "stuffed"). The test would not be done under normal conditions, not fair yet. My fisrst test is scheduled for 2 more weeks. I did the same thing you did today and tested my operated ear on the phone at work. Had to put it in max.volume but it worked. Very rerwarding ! But the dizziness is still there, annoying me all day long. How is yours ?
    Luciano

Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #80
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

I know, I know....but man, I was ready to get the stuff out. I'll live.

The last 3 days dizziness has been a lot better. I'm back to not being dizzy unless I make some real swift head movements. I can now go from a vertical to a horizontal position without dizziness at all. THAT is a major improvement.

I'm 6 weeks post-op now. I wonder why some docs take out packing after 1 week and mine waits 6 weeks to do it. Hmmm. Oh well, guess I'll ask that question Monday too.

I still catch myself starting out with the left ear (new ear) on the phone and midway through the call, I'll switch ears. But, at least I'm remembering to use it more. It's funny really that I do that because to switch ears I have to take out my hearing aid in the other ear to keep it from squealing..... and I still don't realize i'm doing it. Years of habit to break!

Taster is still getting metallic and sweet tastes, but it's calming down quite a buit. The really strong "taste" moments are getting less frequent.

More later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 02-28-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #81
    jazz83
    (female)

jazz83 HB User

Awww, Carol that sucks man. Hehe.. don't worry, what's 5 more days after 6 weeks of anticipation! :-P My hearing test is on the afternoon of march 26th but I doubt I could get leave because of classes (I'm a highschool teacher). I might have to reschedule it. :-(

By the way, I went for my medical check up for work. I was so happy when they ticked on the medical report "hearing: normal" Hehe, I was amazed I could hear the examining doctor's voice clearly. Pre-op, I had a hard time straining to hear doctors as one tend to speak softer during a one-to-one conversation.

Luciano, hope you're recovering well. My dizziness stopped on the 5th day post op. Maybe because I stopped taking the strong painkillers as well then. My doc's like that too. I had to ask him all the restrictions since he didn't elaborate enough. But it's odd though, he kept emphasizing on the no water in the ear for about a month and not to carry heavy things while yours seems flexible. The "no water" is killing me since I have long hair and I need to wash it everyday to prevent dandruff!

Cheers,
    Jazz

Last edited by jazz83; 03-01-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #82
    LucBob
    (male)

LucBob HB User

Hi Carol and Jazz !
    How are you all doing this Saturday Morning ?
    Hope all are recovering and feeling better day by day. This is my 11th day pos-op and I feel a lot of improvements. My dizziness has been much better but is still there. I feel it when I'm driving and pass a bump (my brain shakes left and right...). The "stuffed ear" sensation is phasing out gradually every day (still there though...). It means it's healing. And the sound is passing through and I just did a test. I plugged my iPod with low volume and a big band jazz song with all instruments to test how I hear the low , medium and high frequencies of my operated ear relative to my "Good 7 years ago operated ear" . I kept taking off the left and the right earbud to check the differences. The results: the good ear sounds like a High Fidelity Speaker, perfect bass , treble and etc. but the operated ear sounds like a poor radio-clock tuned in a AM station, mono like in the old times... I know this is going to get better but I was curious to test it.
    Question: Do you guys also have stitches on your outer ear ? The other thing that bothers me is the constant ringing as Dwait said. It's like a continuous bell buzzing in my ear and I can feel it much more when there is silence or when you go to sleep. This is my update fopr today and hope to hear from you all soon.
    best,
    Luciano

Old 03-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #83
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

hehe..it's funny when you finally realize that something is not happening anymore. My ringing and buzzing are completely gone and I realized that I haven't heard it for about 5 days now. WEEEEEEE!

Dizziness is gone now too, none of that for a couple days now, even with swift head movements. Another...WEEEEEEEEEEE!

Taster is getting better by the day still. Now metallic just pops up a couple times a day and not real strong when it does.

Luciano..No, I don't have any stitches..that I'm aware of.

Wow Jazz..I bet that was cool getting a "hearing: normal" report. I bet you even giggled a bit seeing that! My first reaction would have been "na na nana na...I got a nooor..mal". HEHE. Good for you!

I"m just kicking back and trying to remain patient till Monday. Everyone I know gave me crap about being upset at the doc appt being delayed. They all said same thing as Jazz...it's just 5 more days. I know that...but..ya know.

More later,
    -Carol-

Old 03-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #84
    eaglenest
    (male)

eaglenest HB User

Hello all, I am looking for some answers.

I had a right ear stapedectomy on Feb. 7th, 2007. Overall , things went well. I had some post op sickness (4-6 hrs) mostly from the anesthesia, and a small amount of dizziness for about a week after surgery (usually when siting up after lying down). I had some minor drainage from the ear for 2-3 days after surgery. I had very little pain, and did not need to take any pain meds.
    My taste was not affected at all. Initially, hearing was improved, although it was like hearing through a tin can. Loud noises were distorted, and some were too loud. I could actually hear noises that I could not hear before surgery, like the snow crunching under my boots, my sons quiet talking, and outside distant noises. It was awsome!!! I actually felt like a new human being. It was an almost life changing experience.
    BUT,
    When the packing was removed 1 week after surgery, there was NO noticeable hearing improvement. It still sounds like I have an ear plug in that ear. The loud noises have subsided, and so has the distortion, but the ear still seems plugged. Hearing is probably worse right now than before surgery.
    I go to the surgeon this week on March 7th. I am very anxious!!!

Is there anyone out there that has had the same experience, that could give me some info as to what to expect in the future. I have read, and read and read about what to expect after surgery, but there is nothing like hearing from someone who has lived it.

thanks dave

Old 03-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #85
    eaglenest
    (male)

eaglenest HB User

Hello all, I am looking for some answers.

I had a right ear stapedectomy on Feb. 7th, 2007. Overall , things went very well. I had some post op sickness (4-6 hrs) mostly from the anesthesia, and a small amount of dizziness for about a week after surgery (usually when siting up after lying down). I had some minor drainage from the ear for 3-4 days after surgery. I had very little pain, and did not need to take any pain meds.
    My taste was not affected at all! Initially, hearing was greatly improved, although it was like hearing through a tin can. Any loud noises were distorted, and some were too loud. I could actually hear noises that I could not hear before surgery, like the snow crunching under my boots, my sons quiet talking, and outside distant noises. It was awsome!!! I actually felt like a new human being. It was an almost life changing experience. I was looking forward to talking with my co workers without trying to guess what they were saying.
    BUT,
    When the packing was removed 1 week after surgery, there was NO noticeable hearing improvement. It still sounds like I have an ear plug in that ear. The loud noises have subsided, and so has the distortion, but the ear still seems plugged. Hearing is probably worse right now than before surgery.
    I go to the surgeon for a follow up this week on March 7th. I am very anxious!!!
    I have the ringing in my ear also.

Is there anyone out there that could give me some info as to what to expect in the future. I have read, and read and read about what to expect after surgery, but there is nothing like hearing from someone who has lived it.

thanks

dave

Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #86
    shaydad
    (male)

shaydad HB User

I am a 32 year old Male from Saskatchewan, Canada. I had my stapedectomy on Feb 20, 2007. I had to fly out to Victoria, BC for the surgery. Tomorrow will be the start of week 3 since my surgery.

My surgery went amazingly well. I arrived at the hospital at 6 am and was in the OR by 8am. I even had some pre op sleep before we started. I woke up starving and just in time for supper. I sat around the hospital room for another 3 hours to please the nurse and I was out eating supper again by 8 pm. I could have stayed the night if I wanted to but No THANKS!

I really had a strong "tinny" taste in my mouth for the first 2 weeks but it has since gone down. But I do have a slight numbness.

I have 2 preschool children (1 and 3.5 years) that do tend to cry and it is difficult to avoid those loud noises.

I had the packing removed from my ear a week after surgery and that hurt like a bugger. But that packing was so itchy to me that I was really glad to feel that pain.

I was quite concerned about the "broken stereo" symptom that I am experiencing right now but, I now feel more comfortable knowing it is just a phase. My doctor "forgot" to mention this.

On March 23 I go for my hearing test. 4 weeks after my surgery.

I also wanted to let others know that have this surgery, that my experiences flying weren't all that great. I flew home on the Thursday evening, 2 days after. Going over the Rocky mtn's I was in pain. I had a connecting flight, and the second part of the flight over the prairies wasn't as bad. I was prescribed Tylenol 3's JIC and only used them for the first half of the flight.

I am really impressed with this MB Community. You guys are doing a great thing sharing your experiences with everyone.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #87
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

I know you have all been on the edge of your seats waiting for this report. (Ok, ok. Maybe it was just me on the edge of my seat, but I’ll share the results anyways).

The goal of the surgery is to “close the air-bone gap”, which means trying to get the “air numbers” to match up as close as possible to the “bone numbers”. Mine are a lot better than they were, but there is still room for improvement. The doc said that the hearing would continue to improve the next 3 months.

Normal hearing is anywhere between 0 and 20 decibels.

“Bone” = the best that can be expected by each frequency for ME. Most of my hearing loss is from Otosclerosis but I do also have some loss due to nerve damage and that portion of loss cannot be restored.

“Air Old” = my numbers before surgery.

“Air New” = my numbers today which is 7 weeks post-op.

..............dB..............dB........ ..........dB
    Hz.......air (old)......air (new) .........bone (goal)
    250........75...............35.......... .........5
    500........85...............60.......... ........30
    1000......65...............25........... .......25
    2000......75...............40........... .......40
    4000......50...............20........... .......20

My Speech Recognition Threshold used to be 65dB. Now it's 25dB.

As you can see my 1000-4000 which are the higher frequencies (females, kids, etc) are as good as they will ever be, the "air new" and "bone" match. The 250-500 are the low sounds (male voices, etc) and hopefully it will improve.

**He removed the packing from my ear about 10 minutes before the hearing test.

It hurt like **** . He pulled and poked and pulled and he couldn’t get the stuff out. It felt like he was trying to pull a one inch rock through my ear canal or something equally as painful. He ended up putting some liquid COLACE (stool softener) in my ear to soften up the packing so he could pull it out. It’s ok, you can laugh – I have been. I know its funny but it was very effective.

Needless to say the headphones hurt my ear during the hearing test because of that. So, I don’t know if these numbers are really accurate because I was hurting and distracted by it. It’s now 5 hours after he took packing out and my ear canal STILL hurts. Remember my packing was in for seven weeks and it obviously thought it was going to stay.

Doc said I could get water in the ear now and then started to list other things I could resume doing. I stopped him and said, “Instead of telling me all the things it’s ok to do now, just give me the do not do list because hopefully it’s shorter.” He laughed and said that there was nothing I could not do, no restrictions at all.

Surgery for the right ear is scheduled for April 17th. Yippee, I get to start this all over again..

More later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 03-05-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #88
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Ok Dave and Shaydad, I wasn't ignoring you I just wanted to give my numbers earlier.

Dave - If you read all 20 pages of posts you see that we often said our "ear opened and closed". Your plugged feeling and lack a sound is what we are talking about. The swelling of your inner ear where the doc invaded will eventually go down and the ear will open again. Patience. It's frustrating, we know but just hang in there. It will open and close for weeks and finally one day it will open and stay open.

Shaydad - I'm only four weeks ahead of you so I can't say for sure what the future holds. I have spent countless hours reading up on the surgery and the long term results. I saw very few negative longterm reports from people that had early positive results. Either it worked or it didn't and if it didn't the person knew that within the first month or so. The "broken stereo" sound you have is normal and will last around 4-5 weeks. Once that goes away you will be very pleased because sounds then start getting clearer every day.

To both of you -Welcome and strap on your seatbelt, it's gonna be a bumpy ride but you will get there. Just remember 2-6 months and Patience.

More later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 03-06-2007 at 07:24 AM.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 PM   #89
    jazz83
    (female)

jazz83 HB User

(36 days post op)

Welcome Dave and Shaydad!

Dave, don't worry. Your eardrum is still healing and it's "opening" and "closing". So there are times where your hearing sounds poorer. It will take time for the ear to heal and stabilise while hearing continues to improve for the next 3-6 months.

Luciano, I do have stitches on my outer ear! My doc made an incision to widen the ear canal.

Carol!! I'm so happy for you. Your results are amazing! I can only hope to achieve such improvements in my upcoming test. *fingers crossed*

I don't know what happened but my operated ear started doing that crackling noise again the past two days during bedtime. I started panicking, thinking something's wrong with the eardrum but I guess maybe it's still healing. I have no problem with dizziness but sometimes there's some fleeting pain that last for a few secs.

My ear pops a lot these past week and opens more. Things aren't as loud anymore and I think it's stabilising (I don't have to cover my ears when I shut the creaky door). One problem I'm experiencing is the direction of sound. In the doctor's office the other day, I heard someone call my name loud and clear but I can't distinguish the direction of the sound. Hmmm...

Cheers,
    Jazz

Last edited by jazz83; 03-06-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:20 AM   #90
    noelinec
    (female)

noelinec HB User

Hi Everyone!

Carol, I am soooo happy for you! Wow!

Quick update from my side - saw the Doc last week, he peeked into my ear, then he took those metal/silwer thingies that makes a noise and held it at the back of my ear, at the front and then against my forehead. he always does that and then I must say "where" I hear the sound. It's so funny, Iwant to laugh when he does that, anyway, I just told him, Doc, at the back and front, really no difference, where it used to be loud at the back of my ear. Forehead one - well - I hear it at my forehead. He looked quite pleased with my answer and with himself and said well ok, that's it. He wants to only see me again if there is a complication. No hearing test. So I asked him if I'll then see him round about June or so for the other ear and he said yes. That's it. I suppose he'll test my hearing then and then we'll decide if worth it to do the other ear. maybe I must just phone them and make another appointment for a hearing test specifically -I also want to see my results

Anyway, my ears are still ringing, but I've had flu on top of everything else so I think I'll ask the Doc, about the hearing test when that's all cleared up.

Noel

Last edited by noelinec; 03-06-2007 at 01:21 AM.

Closed Thread