It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Chewing Gum Instead Of Ice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
    PBREARD
    (female)

PBREARD HB User
    Chewing Gum Instead Of Ice

I am just curious. I know chewing ice is a sign of anemia, but before when my hgb was 8, I was craving gum and chewing it constantly. If I ran out I would have to go to the store and buy more. I was buying 3 packs a week. I felt like a smoker. It just seems funny that now that my hgb is up to 10 I do have any urge to chew gum. I wonder if there was a connection to the anemia. Just a thought. Have a great weekend everyone.

Phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
    alwayshotroddin
    (female)

alwayshotroddin HB User
    Re: Chewing Gum Instead Of Ice

Hi Phyllis,

I actually was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia not too long ago, so our conditions are a little different, but I have the same problem with chewing gum! I've been the same way as you for several years now, and I know iron deficiency anemia can go undiagnosed for some time because some people have no symptoms, so it's probable with my gum chewing habits I could have been iron-deficient since I started this habit.

But at any rate, I still chew gum all the time. I go through probably 4-5 pieces per day. I have no idea if that means anything but it sure is interesting! I've been treated with iron supplements for 2 months now and still chew gum just as much though so maybe it's just an ugly habit we both have! Sure is something interesting to think about!!

Kecia

Last edited by alwayshotroddin; 03-16-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
    CoyoteBound
    Veteran
    (female)

CoyoteBound HB User

I was diagnosed with iron defeciency anemia and I had noticed way before I found out that I was anemic that all wanted to do was chew ice. It was like I couldn't get enough ice! I did read though that chewing ice is a sign, but maybe you two have something in common and you never know that someday it might just come out that chewing gum is a sign of anemia too. Hope you both get to feeling better soon. Since I have been on the B12 shots and started taking the Iron tablets, I do feel better than I did. It's a good thing something kicked in because I felt like I couldn't go much longer.

Jan

Old 03-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBREARD View Post
    I am just curious. I know chewing ice is a sign of anemia, but before when my hgb was 8, I was craving gum and chewing it constantly. If I ran out I would have to go to the store and buy more. I was buying 3 packs a week. I felt like a smoker. It just seems funny that now that my hgb is up to 10 I do have any urge to chew gum. I wonder if there was a connection to the anemia. Just a thought. Have a great weekend everyone.

Phyllis

Old 03-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

hi,i was eating exyra strong mints all day couldnt get enough of them,this went on for a long time,my iron levels must be going up becouse i cant look at them now,strange

Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
    PBREARD
    (female)

PBREARD HB User

Thanks for your replies. It just a curious thought that the need to chew was the sign of anemia and not so much what you chewed. I don't know why ice, as there is no real nutritional value to it. It was just an interesting theory. Take care all.

Phyllis

Closed Thread