It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• What is the cause of your anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2007, 03:09 AM   #16
    PBREARD
    (female)

PBREARD HB User
    Re: What is the cause of your anemia?

Good Morning,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I had trouble logging on. After taking the pill, 2 hours later I was allowed clear liquid. 4 hours later I was allowed a light lunch. They suggested 1/2 sandwich. I personally had a soft pretzel and 2 cookies and something to drink.
    I did talk to my GI and the prilimary result did not show anything. But, he said he likes to go through these studies 2 to 3 times to make sure. I assume it is a lot of photos to go through. He is on vacation this week and will get back to me when he returns.
    Good luck with your study.
    Phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #17
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

I got the leaflet for capsule endoscopy. It needs to fast over night. I can follow the instruction.

It wasn't written on any paper for iron infusion. As I remembered, my gastro Dr said need to fast for the iron infusion too. I'm a bit confused. May be I'm stuffed up. Do you need to fast for iron infusion? All of them or just the first time infusion? How long does it need to fast? What prep do I need? If you can't remember then I need to call her at the office! I'm lost, I think my memory got virus attacked!

Phyllis, you're not kidding? "he said he likes to go through these studies 2 to 3 times"? Your dr likes the little camera or he is interesting to your intestine photos? Look likes he enjoyed to see the pictures or slides!

Thanks a heaps.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #18
    PBREARD
    (female)

PBREARD HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pika View Post
    I got the leaflet for capsule endoscopy. It needs to fast over night. I can follow the instruction.

It wasn't written on any paper for iron infusion. As I remembered, my gastro Dr said need to fast for the iron infusion too. I'm a bit confused. May be I'm stuffed up. Do you need to fast for iron infusion? All of them or just the first time infusion? How long does it need to fast? What prep do I need? If you can't remember then I need to call her at the office! I'm lost, I think my memory got virus attacked!

Phyllis, you're not kidding? "he said he likes to go through these studies 2 to 3 times"? Your dr likes the little camera or he is interesting to your intestine photos? Look likes he enjoyed to see the pictures or slides!

Thanks a heaps.
    I had no prep for IV iron. As for my doctor I think he is just being thorough. My innards can't be that interesting.

Good luck and take care.
    Phyllis

Old 03-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

There's no prep for the iron infusions. It's just an IV...

Old 03-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #20
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

Do you need to fast a night before?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #21
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

No, you don't need to do anything before the infusion. Like I said, it's just an IV so they just stick it in you and then you just hang out until it's all done. They may give you Benadryl beforehand but that's something that would happen once you're at the office. There's nothing you have to do at all! It's not a test, just an infusion. For most GI tests you will have to at least fast for 8 hours and be on clear liquids the day before, but again, this is just an IV, not a test. Are you sure it was your hematologist that said you'll need to fast? I noticed you're having the capsule endoscopy... I had that done twice and there is a bit of a fast and clear liquid diet prior to that test.... maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Old 03-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #22
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

Not the hematologist. She sent me home and said I left it for so long so I can live with it now. Now is the new gastro Dr. She only saw me once. Was my second GP asked her to do it and help me out.

Yes, capsule endoscopy needs to fast and clear fluid the day before. I might call her and ask.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #23
    CoyoteBound
    Veteran
    (female)

CoyoteBound HB User

My doctor did a Colonoscopy on me and took out 3 Polyps. At the same time he went down my throat with the little camera and took a look into my stomach. Sent me home and said to start Slow Fe Iron. They rescheduled me to go back and to do a CT Scan of the stomach with dye and to also check my pelvis and the A-Orta which all of that came back fine. The Doctor still does not know where my bleeding is coming from. But I do feel some what better since I started taking the Iron tablets. I just hope it continues because I was so tired all the time and I didn't have a clue that I was anemic.

Jan

Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #24
    danagrace
    (female)

danagrace HB User

Good that your doc did some test to figure out why. For two years I have known that I was anemic and my GP said to take over the counter iron. I asked my obgyn to retest me, and my blood test just showed that my levels went down from 21 two yrs ago to 14. My obgyn gave me repliva iron pills for it, but did not test to see why i am anemic. I am not pregnant, and I eat lots of red meat and green leafy veggies. I do not know why I am still anemic. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks!

Old 03-20-2007, 05:00 AM   #25
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danagrace View Post
    Good that your doc did some test to figure out why. For two years I have known that I was anemic and my GP said to take over the counter iron. I asked my obgyn to retest me, and my blood test just showed that my levels went down from 21 two yrs ago to 14. My obgyn gave me repliva iron pills for it, but did not test to see why i am anemic. I am not pregnant, and I eat lots of red meat and green leafy veggies. I do not know why I am still anemic. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks!

What is your age? Are you still menstruating? If so, are your periods heavy?

As you've seen on the other threads, there are so many causes of iron deficiency or anemia:

Celiac Disease
    Lupus
    Thyroid Disorders
    Colon and/or Stomach Bleeding
    Malabsorption of nutrients.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #26
    BonnyB
    (female)

BonnyB HB User

I have anemia that's caused by low B12, which is caused by having had a small bowel resection (including the removal of the ileum) due to Crohns. I don't know how low my B12 was, but at first I had to have B12 injections every two weeks and now monthly. I can tell when it's time for another injection because I get so tired and have a low level depression. Does anyone know is anemia can cause one's BP to elevate and occasionally feel as if one's lungs aren't working well? On another board someone suggested esophageal spasms can cause some of the feelings in the chest. My internist isn't saying too much except has me scheduled for a CT scan of my lungs. Anyone have other symptoms with anemia other than the tired feeling? Thanks much!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #27
    kristin62980
    (female)

kristin62980 HB User

cause of my anemia...be helpful if i had doctors that seemed some what concered. i've suffered from anemia for as long as i can remember, they put me onto an iron suppl and after 3 months he said my levels are elevated but not at the normal state but i could stop taking the iron if i wanted too. i did, and then it has gone down hill from there. i get my "attacks" as i call them where i cant even go up stairs without having to lay down and blacking out. In january of this year after months of dealing with being sick I went to the ER. i'm a happy go lucky person so my body just grew adjusted to being low when they tested my blood i was a a HCB of a 6 and the doctor was freaking out on me because I needed an emergency blood transfusion and he thought I was going to die and didn't understand how serious this was. I declined the transfusion (i'm 21 and this was a very scary issue) but he told me my family had the power to decide otherwise and no matter what I was getting the transfusion because Iron wasnt going to solve the problem and i'd be dead before the year was out.

1 month after my transfusion...3 pints to be exact(a lot of blood I was told) my HCB was still abnormally low. So the Gyno put me on Repliva and a birth Control with an Iron in it to try to help bring my levels up, I wont know until May if this is working. The women from the lab at the hospital came down to test my blood to find my blood type and said I should be seeing a Hemotoligist but everyone I call in my area will only see me if I am a cancer related patient and I'm not.

I just am tired of the endless "I don't knows" and am getting fed up with "we'll try this and if it doesnt work we'll try something else"

Old 04-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #28
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Kristin,
    You need to be seeing a hematologist - doesn't matter if it's cancer related or not. If your hemoglobin is 6, you are at risk, and the reason your hemoglobin got so low is unknown - even if it's something easily treated, leaving it go because the doctors are shrugging their shoulders is dangerous.

Please get a second opinion. Most doctors would be doing testing at the least.

TAke care,
    Jill

Old 04-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #29
    BonnyB
    (female)

BonnyB HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by japlopper View Post
    Kristin,
    You need to be seeing a hematologist - doesn't matter if it's cancer related or not. If your hemoglobin is 6, you are at risk, and the reason your hemoglobin got so low is unknown - even if it's something easily treated, leaving it go because the doctors are shrugging their shoulders is dangerous.

Please get a second opinion. Most doctors would be doing testing at the least.

TAke care,
    Jill
    After months of being treated for anemia, high BP, rapid heartrate, I was admitted to hospital via the ER for a small bowel obstruction. I had been treated by both an Internist and a GI (being a Crohns patient). The pain/vomiting that required the 911 call came on very quickly. Only after having an NG tube for 3-4 days, did the obstruction clear...almost anyway. I post this here just as a reminder that everything is not always what it may seem .. at first anyway! I've learned that an SBO can cause all those symptoms for which I was being treated. I did have an Endoscopy scheduled for later this month and now that's rescheduled. Hope everyone has some resolution to their anemia issues. Thanks to all for the support I.ve received here and on other boards/threads.

Last edited by BonnyB; 04-14-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #30
    kfont
    (female)

kfont HB User

I never did find out the cause of my anemia. Quite a few years ago I was put on iron for anemia. I took them faithfully for a while then stopped. Then in the fall of 2005 after weeks of having pains in my legs when going up stairs, rapid heart beat, being pale and having no energy I finally made a doctors appointment. Until that time I muddled through the days-work, taking care of the kids etc. even though I was exhausted. Blood tests revealed hemoglobin was at 4.3, hematocrit was 14. something, my ferritin was also critically low but I'm not sure what the number is on that. Anyways the doctor told me to go to the ER. The ER doctor couldn't believe I was walking. I was admitted and had blood transfusions (4 units). My numbers started rising-slowly- helped by 300 mg of iron each day. I had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, x-ray of my intestines but everything was clear. My menstrual period has never been very heavy. I had an appointment with the hematologist but the blood test I took right before I saw him showed my levels were acceptable. So other than a few more blood tests he decided not to do anything. I took my iron faithfully for a while and then gradually took fewer pills and then stopped a few month ago. My blood test 4 1/2 months ago showed good numbers. Then I had a blood test last week and my hemoglobin is 10.7 and my hematocrit is 30.7. I have a doctors appointment on Monday and I'm sure I'll be back on the iron and will need to make sure I take it becasue obviously I do need it. You'd think they would want to know what's causing this because I would like to know but maybe sometimes the reason is "undiagnosable"?

Closed Thread