It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Can anyone take fosomax or actenol without awful side affects??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2003, 08:29 PM   #16
    ladiedi
    (female)

ladiedi HB User
    Unhappy

The sore throat, that is one of the things it does to me, makes me clear my throat alot! I think that is the acid. Although, it wasn't as bad this last time I took it, but then I took a stomach pill , protonix prior and the day of. I could live with the indigestion it does go away, but those bone aches, that I cannot live with. I hurt so bad for two days, I felt like crying and did. I am not totally sure the fosomax did it, but the only way to tell would be to take it again, another time. Its so depressing, feeling like the only option is breaking???? I do feel bad while taking it, feel like its posion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 09:41 AM   #17
    loriannb

loriannb HB User
    I am very afraid of fosamx since this sore throat. I am fearful of what it is doing to the tissues in the esophagus. What good is it to have great bones, but now have other serious problems as a result. I am going to be investigating some natural products on my own. I had no bone aches as you mention and I am sorry for your distress. I have all ready taken the calcium supplements etc. Everyones bones deteriorate in time, we cannot have bones of a 16 year old person. A lot of money is spent on advertising these new wonder drugs, on TV and research. They are new still, and although I do not doubt it DOES reverse bone loss, one has to weigh carefully the side effects.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:33 AM   #18
    emotion sickness

emotion sickness HB User
    My doctor put me on Fosamax when I was 18. I recently turned 19. I haven't been on it that long but so far have not experienced any of the side effects. I take the once weekly dosage with just a few sips of water and do not eat for at least an hour afterwards, and make sure I am sitting or standing after taking it. I was really hesitant to take it because of all that I had read about the esophagus damage it can cause... I am anorexic and purge very often which is why I was worried. My doctor was worried too and that's why she waited to put me on it, but then decided it was mandatory because I have severe osteoporosis and she didn't want to wait any longer esp. since I don't take enough calcium (am really trying on this one... but most comes from pills which doesn't work as well as from food, or so I'm told). Anyway, there is hope because so far, I don't have side effects.

Fosamax is a serious drug, but the consequences of osteo are scary too... it was a win/lose situation but so far I think the Fosamax is worth it. However, I think everyone is different and maybe it's just not the drug for everyone. Obviously, if you are having really bad side effects, you should stop taking it and try to find something else. Does anyone know if taking in HUGE doses of calcium, plus Vit. D and enough fat to absorb it, is just as effective as Fosamax? ... I've been wondering about that.

P.S. to the woman who has a loose tooth -- I can sympathize with you... I had a "minor" root canal when I was 17 or just turned 18 (can't remember) and just had another one, this one much more serious and PAINFUL. My teeth are horrible partly due to vomitting but also due to my low bone density

Old 08-23-2003, 09:13 AM   #19
    jukeboy56
    (male)

jukeboy56 HB User
    I'm a 46 year old male taking 70 mg dose of Fosamax once a week for 3 weeks with no side effects.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-23-2003, 07:30 PM   #20
    lillyandme23

lillyandme23 HB User
    I take Fosomax weekly. I do not have any gastrointestinal effects from it but I can tell you that the pain it causes in my bones is almost unbearable. Four to five days of torture after taking one dose of it is unbelieveable. My doctor said she may change me to the daily dose which in my opinion would only make me hurt 7 days a week instead of only 5. Makes no sense to me. In answer to the calcium question, my doctor told me that without Fosomax or Actonel the 1800mg of calcium I take every day will do my bones absolutely no good. Perhaps that is because my osteo is so advanced, perhaps it would do something in a less advanced stage. Connie

Old 08-23-2003, 08:20 PM   #21
    ladiedi
    (female)

ladiedi HB User
    Does anyone know why it does this? I suspect, my bout last week with bone pain in my arm was due to fosomax. It was really terrible pain, two days, I had never experienced that kind of pain prior. I am not looking forward to this coming weeks dose. The medical field in my area is so over crowded , thats its almost impossible to get any kind of care, and information.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #22
    dlkella
    (female)

dlkella HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Can anyone take fosomax or actenol without awful side affects??

I took one weekly dose of Actenol...never again. I got a slight headache (nothing big...I normally get migraines anyway), upset stomach, gas, achey feeling and heartburn...but in the afternoon I was nauseated, ears ringing, sweating, and felt like I was going to burn up...I passed out cold. Scared my co-workers to death, not to mention my family. I ended up in the ER getting all kinds of tests done. Doc said to quit taking it. I'm still trying to get this dose out of my system...still have the headache and the dizzyiness. My mother took Fosomax but the muscle cramps were so bad she had to quit...we're both just taking calcium now.

Last edited by dlkella; 03-23-2007 at 12:24 PM. Reason: additional symptoms

Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #23
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User
    Re: Can anyone take fosomax or actenol without awful side affects??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mollymalone View Post
    The first Fosomax I took was the "Once a Week" dosage. I took it first thing in the morning, with 2 or 3 giant glasses of water, and I did not lie down after swallowing it. I took my shower, got ready for work, etc etc, went to work...in about 3 hours I thought I was going to have to go home. Oh my gosh - it was like FIRE!! I had someone run to a store and grab me a half gallon of milk, which I drank to try to soothe my stomach and intestines. I will NEVER, EVER take the once a week dose again. You couldn't pay me to take it. It was like a liquid volcano that went through my body.

Next I tried the once a day dose. I got up in the morning, took it with a giant glass of water, drank another glass of water in about 10 minutes, and did the same as before - take my shower and get ready for work. Now, that didn't really bother me. After a few weeks of it, another doctor told me to not take it because he's trying to reverse the osteoporosis in another way (by getting my thyroid under control). So I quit.

Last week I discovered a loose tooth. A loose tooth? Me? I'm 60, for Pete's sake! I called the dentist in a panic and told him about the newly discovered osteoporosis. He told me to get in there the very next day for an X-ray. I did. The X-ray told the bad news. I have bone loss even in my jaw. Holy cow. Am I going to start losing my teeth, too? Well, I called my regular family doctor and told her about the loose tooth and she gave me a scrip for the daily Fosomax and agreed that maybe I'd better go back on it.

I get up, go right to the kitchen and pour a giant glass of ice water into which I've put a few tablespoons of lemon juice. I take the Fosomax with the entire glass of water, pour another glass of water, go to the garage and walk on the treadmill for a few miles, then go take my shower, dry my hair, put on my makeup, etc etc, all the time taking more swallows of the water until the second glass is gone. I usually pour a third glass of water and drink it, too. I have had no problems doing it this way.

The doctor treating my thyroid problem told me Fosomax and Actonel are both horrible, and that he wishes there were something better for us women with osteoporosis. My choice is to take Fosomax, mainly because of the bone loss in my jaw. I've talked to two women who have taken it for a year and who have both seen a great deal of improvement in their bone mineral density. I just feel like I have to try it and see if it won't help the bone loss in my jaw. I've accepted gray hair and some wrinkles - I don't know about losing my teeth. That's a hard one to accept.
    I have mostly posted on the Forteo threads, because I was taking that drug for two years. I have just finished with it (it's only approved for use for 2 years) and I am about to start on Actonel this weekend. It was always the plan for me to go on to Fosamax or Actonel after the Forteo. I know several people taking the drug with no side effects, but I'm plenty nervous.

I'm only writing because there have been a number of posts on these boards about a rare problem with Fosamax and the bisphosphonate (?) class of drugs which involves jaw bone loss. I understand the problem is more commonly found in people who have had chemotherapy. I don't know much about it, but if you are not seeing an endocrinologist with a lot of experience with these drugs, you might want to consult with one to make sure Fosamax is not the problem.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #24
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Spinewhine,
    Let us know how you do with the Actonel. I was using Forteo because i couldn't tolerate the bisphosphonates. I'm still sticking with Calcium and exercise until my DEXA which is in two weeks. It just seems like long term use of the bisphosphonates will eventually cause stomach complications and/or bone pain. Hoping for another alternative soon.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #25
    thyme2b
    (female)

thyme2b HB User

I've just returned from my trip to Cleveland and the Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Licata. I discussed strontium ranelate with him. It is his opinion that this would be a viable alternative to follow up with Forteo, but he doesn't expect FDA approval. He said that strontium citrate was different than the ranelate type and that it was not effective. I'm wondering if strontium ranelate is available in Canada.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #26
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taape View Post
    Spinewhine,
    Let us know how you do with the Actonel. I was using Forteo because i couldn't tolerate the bisphosphonates. I'm still sticking with Calcium and exercise until my DEXA which is in two weeks. It just seems like long term use of the bisphosphonates will eventually cause stomach complications and/or bone pain. Hoping for another alternative soon.
    I was planning to start Actonel on Saturday, but the husband of an elderly friend died and we went to be with her. We are helping with funeral plans and I was afraid to take a drug I'd never taken in case I had the horrible burning heartburn I've heard about. The funeral is tomorrow, so I can't take the drug then either because I have a lot of driving to do. At this point, I guess I'll just wait until next Saturday. I know I'm supposed to take it the same day every week, so I think it will be easier to remember if it's Saturday, and not some weekday when I have to go to work.

I'll certainly check in and let everyone know what, if any, side effects I experience. Of course, I'm hoping for none, but time will tell. I know a number of people on these drugs (as opposed to Forteo, where I knew no one outside of these boards) and so far, they haven't had a problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #27
    newbones
    (female)

newbones HB User

Good luck, Spinewhine! It looks like I am probably going to go on Actonel soon; I'll be finishing up with the Forteo in another week. I took Actonel for a year before I started the Forteo and had no problems with it, so I am hoping it will be the same this time. I prefer to not to have to take anything, but don't want to lose any gains I may have made or have more bone loss. Fosamax scares me, I think mainly due to the long half-life and the fact that so many people on these boards have reported bad side effects with it.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:09 AM   #28
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User
    Smile Re: Can anyone take fosomax or actenol without awful side affects??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbones View Post
    Good luck, Spinewhine! It looks like I am probably going to go on Actonel soon; I'll be finishing up with the Forteo in another week. I took Actonel for a year before I started the Forteo and had no problems with it, so I am hoping it will be the same this time. I prefer to not to have to take anything, but don't want to lose any gains I may have made or have more bone loss. Fosamax scares me, I think mainly due to the long half-life and the fact that so many people on these boards have reported bad side effects with it.
    Well, I did the deed and swallowed my first Actonel. I have to say, after everything I've read on these boards, it was almost as scary as the first Forteo shot. Anyway, I've survived the first hour. I sort of feel a "ping" of heartburn, but it could be imaginary, since I'm anticipating it. (I also had a big dinner out last night, and that could be the culprit )

So far, no major burning sensation, so that's good.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #29
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I have taken Fosamax for years - since it first came out. I started with the once a day and now am taking it once a week. I started with full blown Osteoporois and have a Dexa test every two years. There is so much improvement that it is now called Osteopenia. So I have no complaints as it is doing its job. Nor have I ever had any side effects from it. I make sure to drink a full glass of water before having any coffee or anything else for a half hour. It has been a magic pill for me.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #30
    hypatia
    Inactive
    (female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

I'm in my 8th year of Fosamax and my results duplicate Barb's. Also have several friends on either Fosamax or Actonal with no problems. Unfortunately, with any drug there are those who will suffer side effects and we never know till we try.

Closed Thread