It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Drop Foot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
    picnica
    (male)

picnica HB User
    Drop Foot

Went to PT evaluation. Has anyone had PT for a drop foot? What do they do? I can't for the life of me figure how they are going to strengthen the foot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Drop Foot

I know they use a brace to support the foot but as far as exercises I don't know of any.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
    bonita555
    (female)

bonita555 HB User

hi,
    i am in pt for some improving drop foot and i do an exercise bike for 10 minutes (to wake up the leg they say). Then they have me do these leg pushes on a total gym machine, some toe raises, calf stetching and the therapists works my foot with resistance trying to get the anterrior tibia muscle to get strong. i am sort of in this trial pt place and may need to do surgery if it doesn't improve.

best of luck to you in pt, i hope it goes well for you!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
    hurtie0607
    (female)

hurtie0607 HB User

Hi,
    I too had foot drop, however, most of it was eliminated with my micro-d. I still can't walk on my heels, nor dorsiflex my foot very well. I have been going to P.T. for strengthening. There are certain exercises that will help. I have been doing alot of them in the water, as to not irritate the weakened nerves and muscles.
    I do exercise at home with a #2 band to pull up on my toes, while sitting. Please do not get discouraged, as these situations can take a long time to resolve.
    You probably will get some improvement. Is your foot drop the result of a disc problem? It will also depend on how long you have had this.
    I wish you well.
    God bless
    Kay

Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Today my doctor told me to do foot flexes in the pool, to do circular motions with my foot and to use a flexband to pull the foot up in the water as well. If the land walking does not work without severe pain, he told me to do no land walking except in the house and concentrate on the pool therapy. He is concerned about my foot -- at this time it is not foot drop -- PRAISE THE LORD --but he has told me that he is hopeful that my weakness, numbness, nerve pain is simply due to the length of time the sciatia nerve was inflamed and that everything is just settling. He told me I could have the pain for up to one year after my fusion and that it very possible that this could be permanent damage but it is to soon to tell.

Kay would you please share any other exercises you are doing?? I would like to have them for later once I have accomplished the other in the pool. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
    mlh11350
    (female)

mlh11350 HB User

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;2884367]Today my doctor told me to do foot flexes in the pool, to do circular motions with my foot and to use a flexband to pull the foot up in the water as well. If the land walking does not work without severe pain, he told me to do no land walking except in the house and concentrate on the pool therapy. He is concerned about my foot -- at this time it is not foot drop -- PRAISE THE LORD --but he has told me that he is hopeful that my weakness, numbness, nerve pain is simply due to the length of time the sciatia nerve was inflamed and that everything is just settling. He told me I could have the pain for up to one year after my fusion and that it very possible that this could be permanent damage but it is to soon to tell.

Kay would you please share any other exercises you are doing?? I would like to have them for later once I have accomplished the other in the pool. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

When can they tell if the nerve damage is permanent and how?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #7
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I really don't know if there is tests or if it is just a matter of time.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
    Lynn1991NY
    Inactive
    (female)

Lynn1991NY HB User

Kay
    I have a foot drop due to a L5-S1 herniation. I had a Microlumbar Discectomy as well but the foot drop did not improve. how long from diagnosis did you have the surgery and what discs were involved? I had a Discectomy in January of last year (2006) after being diagnosed the November (2005) before. I recently (January 2007) had a posterior tibial tendon transfer in my left foot because over the last year, the drop foot never got any better.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
    hurtie0607
    (female)

hurtie0607 HB User

Hi Lynn and Diet,
    I had foot drop for almost a month and a half. My nerve was so very compressed in two places. I hope that I can get most of my strength back. I saw my family doc and he told me not to worry about the lack of dorsiflexion and heel walking and to just concentrate and getting rid of the sciatica pain and the weakness. I stopped going to P.T. as I have learned the aquacize well enough to join a group at the local civic center.

Diet, I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I will pray that the Lord will reach out to today, espcially Easter Sunday. Perhasps the dog incident just was enough to throw things out of "kilter" for a bit. I hope and send you healing energy to you on this holy day. I think when the sciatic nerve is compressed for a length of time and then is the compression is lifted, if one does something to disturb the delicate process, you may get a relapse.

Diet, I promise I will write and describe in detail the water exercise and strenghthening I was doing. I went btw and it is difficult for me at the end of the day to sit in front of a computer, when I get home. That is why some of my messages aren't answered in a timely fashion and I apologize.

I had the whole fam here for Easter Sunday and now I am going to hit the sack - even with all the help I am still exhausted, and I have to be up at 6:30am. I only had a micro-d - I can't even fathom recovering from a fusion. Whew, the pain and courage on this board.

Easter Blessings to all-
    God Bless
    Kay

Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #10
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Thanks Kay, I look forward to seeing what those excercises comprised of.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I got drooped foot after my surgery. At first it was just leg/foot numbness and very weak toes (especially the first 3). I had my PT started next day after the surgery right in bed. PT was working on my leg and foot to get some feelings and to make it stronger.
    All together i had 5,5 month of PT: warm water walking pool, water excersices, bike, stretches, etc.
    I still had hope at that time. 10 month after my surgery i was diagnosed by neourosurgeon and neurologist with permanent damage to my leg/foot/toes and i have to wear AFO since i took a fall already twice hurting myself badly. EMG test confirmed their diagnoses.
    I think before about 8-10 month hard to say if your nerves recover or not unless your foot gets worse instead of getting better.

Good luck to you and i hope your foot will get better.

Closed Thread