It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Soy is deadly!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #16
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User
    Re: Soy is deadly!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    The problem with Rice Milk is the brands I have seen and used contain too much sugar.

There has been too many negative articles about Soy Product-- I really don't know but where there is alot of smoke -- there has to be a FIRE some place??

Harry
    I drink the Silk soy milk, but if a person has thyroid problems, they should use soy products sparingly. My mom was told she could eat the soyburgers, but to limit the amount.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #17
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I never stir fry my TOFU longer than 5 minutes, usually a lot less. Since it is pre-fermented it really needs no cooking...it is perfectly digestible right out of the tub so cooking is really only for heating through. I buy mine loose at an oriental deli for $.25 a "cake", about 3.5 ounces.

My fave is a cold lunch of sliced firm TOFU arranged around a small plate like a flower and sprinkled with a few drops of toasted sesame oil, a tsp. or two of spicy Szechuan sauce and a Tbsp or two of soy sauce.
    Takes a minute to prepare and is yummy and full of protein. Usually I eat 2 cakes, sometimes one.

I don't use tofu because it mimics meat but rather because it is an excellent food all on its own.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-30-2007 at 06:12 AM.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #18
    Bracelet
    Inactive
    (female)

Bracelet HB User

An important thing to note is that Soy is not good for women who already have problems with estrogen. Soy has an estrogenic effect on people, but women who are already having estrogen problems should not be consuming soy at all.

I learned that the hard way. My chiropractor was the one who figured out the link and immediately banned me from soy. But that's ok because I don't really like it anyway so....no big loss for me.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #19
    vegetableyogi
    (male)

vegetableyogi HB User

okay, well, I will admit that I did not read all the way through this very long, yet interesting, thread, so I apologize if anybody has covered this post or already.

To prevent these things from occuring, we can simply eat organic products. Organic products (and some that aren't even labelled as organic also) do not allow any hormone pumping, such as in dairy. The problem with dairy is that every single cow is pumped full of BGH. Organic milk isn't. So, the problem can be taken care of. Also, vegetables and all can also be purchased organic. If you are near a farmer's market, even better. At a farmer's market you can buy organic products for cheaper (yes, cheaper) than non-organic products in a grocery store. Worried about growth hormones and pesticides and other unknowables? try organic. It'll make you feel better.

Cheers

Last edited by Administrator; 01-25-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:54 AM   #20
    ryzza
    (female)

ryzza HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bracelet View Post
    An important thing to note is that Soy is not good for women who already have problems with estrogen. Soy has an estrogenic effect on people, but women who are already having estrogen problems should not be consuming soy at all.

I learned that the hard way. My chiropractor was the one who figured out the link and immediately banned me from soy. But that's ok because I don't really like it anyway so....no big loss for me.
    Do you mean those with low estrogen shd ban from eating soy? what does soy do to ur estrogen level?

Old 03-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #21
    naturodude
    (male)

naturodude HB User

Since certain substances in soy mimic estrogen, I try to stay away from it. But, as long as it's fermented, I don't see how moderate amounts can affect anyone (except men) negatively.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #22
    NeverGiveUp07
    (female)

NeverGiveUp07 HB User
    Smile Re: Soy is deadly!

I had my uterus and ovaries removed because of a sarcoma tumor and my ob gyn who is also an oncologist, did not put me on horomal therapy for the risks of getting cancer again from the estrogen, he also suggested that I stay away from soy products, again because of the estrogen. I don't know about men, but as a woman who has had cancer before, I just don't take the chance or risk so I stay away from the soy. But maybe someone else is different, maybe it depends on the kind of cancer, who really knows.

And I can't drink milk it takes me to gasville, and so I used to drink the soy, then I tried the rice milk, but that one didn't settle too well with me either, then I discovered the almond milk, and that's been the best for me.
    "A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing." Proverbs 17:22

Last edited by Administrator; 01-25-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #23
    bulletproof
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bulletproof HB User

All studies aside, I would avoid soy milk (or soy products, etc.) because the list of ingredients is waaaayyy too long. A good rule of thumb for choosing food is to stay away from anything with more than five ingredients. Especially when you don't know what half the ingredients are. For example, here are the ingredients in a frozen soy burger:
    WATER, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, REDUCED FAT CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO [COLOR], VITAMIN A PALMITATE), WHEAT GLUTEN, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF METHYLCELLULOSE, SALT, YEAST EXTRACT, CHEESE POWDER (CHEDDAR CHEESE [MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES], CREAM, SALT, LACTIC ACID), DRIED ONIONS, NATURAL FLAVOR (NON-MEAT), CARAMEL COLOR, SESAME OIL, BROWNED IN CORN OIL.

Lots of salt, dairy products, corn oil, caramel color? Doesn't sound that healthy to me. Yes, we all have to be wary of pesticides and growing procedures, but fruit, vegetables, grains and fish are really the way to go.

Dairy isn't so hot, either. We are the only mammals that don't get weaned. Maybe the longevitiy of Eastern countries is due to the lack of dairy instead of the addition of soy? That's just something to think about.

A good alternative is coconut milk. Look for a brand that only contains water and the milk, and maybe a guar gum for preservative. I use coconut milk in scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and pureed soups that call for cream. It does change the taste a bit, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #24
    adubz021506
    (female)

adubz021506 HB User

the only thing i have ever heard about soy is the fact that people with thyroid problems need to avoid it.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:15 AM   #25
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adubz021506 View Post
    the only thing i have ever heard about soy is the fact that people with thyroid problems need to avoid it.
    Oh believe me, there is LOTS, LOTS more information out there, if you will just read up online for it.

Closed Thread