It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• ORAL vs IV ABX

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
    Weavor
    (male)

Weavor HB User
    ORAL vs IV ABX

I just want to know what the differences are between being prescribed oral (CEFTIN) and IV antibiotics. I had my followup with DR E yesterday and she said that IV wasnt necessarily mroe effective in treating it, but wanted me to go get the spinal tap incase my insurance wont approve of IV antibiotics, so i had another positive. But then i asked, is IV that much better, and she said no. Im a lil confused... Also does the Pic line affect everyday activities? i try to go to gym and stay active as much as i can, and the thought of having the pic line in my arm. seems like it would prevent me from doing certian things?

Last edited by Weavor; 04-03-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
    silentstones
    (female)

silentstones HB User
    Re: ORAL vs IV ABX

hi weaver , sorry your having to deal with all this . i will give you the percentages given to me on the paper from my last visit to dr.c's office on 3/14 . ceftin has a 65% responce rate if given orally . iv ceftin has an 80% responce rate. so you gain a 15% responce rate. as for the iv itself, i dont have mine yet but was told it has to stay dry and must be checked every week or more to make sure of no infection. the iv is much more expencive , and much more difficult to get approval on most insusants( ive been working for week trying to get approval ). dr c preferres iv but many are denied therefor not many are on iv.. it makes since to me to go for the most response one can get. stay strong , dont give up the faith, if you dont have some (faith)get some .your going to need it ...lol... god bless debi

Old 04-04-2007, 02:35 AM   #3
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User

hi weaver
    I was on oral doxy for 4 months then got much worse I now take IV Rocephin It was a little uncomfortable when they first put in the Picc line but now I do most anything You do have to keep it dry and I use an ace wrap to keep the line from getting in my way I have improved alot since the IV Rough week with herx this week I had tried to return to work but probably over did myself otherwise I was doing well It is really good you can still go to the Gym since I have trouble even lifting a cup sometimes so go for it if your insurance will approve so maybe you won't get that far Good luck and keep checking the boards for support as well
    ryebeach

Old 04-04-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Weavor. There are many antibiotics, both oral and IV, that can be presribed for Lyme disease. Which is chosen depends on many factors such as how long you have been sick, the type of symptoms you have, if you have co-infections, other health issues that are present etc.

Oral antibiotics are often prescribed first because they can be effective, they are less expenisve, are easier to administer, and are less risky.

It can seem overwhelming to infuse IV antibiotics, but it really is very easy. A nurse will usually show you how to do the infusions until you are comfortable doing it yourself. It does not take long to learn.

With a PICC line, it is very important to keep the site clean and dry at all times. An infection in the line can be deadly. You have to use common sense, but your normal activities should not be affected much. You may have to make minor adustments in your workout, but you can still exercise.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
    Weavor
    (male)

Weavor HB User

thanks for your answers. i guess i am lucky in the fact that i have been able to stay active physically. The majority of my symptoms have been neuro. Vision, dizziness, brain fog are the primary symptoms i have. I have only been infected for 7 months so i guess if i waited anymore time, i would be in the same boat as some of you guys.. However.. my insurance did approve the IV rocephrin. In as much as i been only affected 7 months i hope my response the abx is strong and i could go back to my old self.. thanks for the help.. TICKER.. u didnt respond to my test results on the other post i did.. what are your or anyone elses thoughts on it?

Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
    dianneom
    (female)

dianneom HB User

Hi Weavor,
    I've been on IV Rocephin (4) times. The last time being most of last year. Rocephin did work better then oral Ceftin but did not make me well. I feel best on oral Biaxin. Next I will add Plaquenil with the Biaxin. My problems are mostly neuro too. I've been sick since 1999. Still waiting to feel like my old self.

Closed Thread