It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Patella Subluxation/Lateral Release

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User
    Patella Subluxation/Lateral Release

Hello!

My knee pops, locks up, and goes out of place. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have had this happen to me three times in less than a year. After seeing three workers comp doctors this one that I am seeing now and the PA in ortho both say I have Patella Subluxation. The PA has now referred me to the surgeon. He also says that the surgeon may not want to do surgery, but that since it has happen so many times that he will probly want to tighten up the tendon that is around my knee cap. Has anyone have to do the lateral release? What is it like? What do they actually do? How long for recovery/time off from work?

Thanks,

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User
    Re: Patella Subluxation/Lateral Release

Hi!

Can anyone help/answer my question? I would appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 04-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
    looneybin
    (female)

looneybin HB User

My daughter (15) is having surgery on the 19th for patellar subluxation/dislocation. She has seen 2 ortho docs and the concensus is that there is no great fix for this problem. The best/easiest treatment includes strengthening the muscles that support the knee. Unfortunately, PT didn't work for her (she's popped her patella out twice since completing therapy). One surgeon wanted to shave offthe anterior portion of the tibia where the kneecap is supposed to track and move it slightly to improve tracking. The ortho doc that is doing her surgery doesn't like that kind of surgery stating that changing the architecture of the bone may improve tracking, but may result in pain of the knee cap. She will be having arthroscopic surgery to repair a small tear in the cartilage, smooth off the pitting on the back of the patella and then he will do a lateral retinacular release. He is hoping that, along with more PT, will keep the patella in line. If she pops it out again after recovering from surgery, she will be forced to have an open tightening of the medial retinaculum and shortening of one of the muscles (I think that's what it was). I will try to let you know how things go with her surgery. Good luck to you!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
    pinklovefuzz
    (female)

pinklovefuzz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockylucy05 View Post
    Hello!

My knee pops, locks up, and goes out of place. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have had this happen to me three times in less than a year. After seeing three workers comp doctors this one that I am seeing now and the PA in ortho both say I have Patella Subluxation. The PA has now referred me to the surgeon. He also says that the surgeon may not want to do surgery, but that since it has happen so many times that he will probly want to tighten up the tendon that is around my knee cap. Has anyone have to do the lateral release? What is it like? What do they actually do? How long for recovery/time off from work?

Thanks,

Cindy
    Hi Cindy,

I had a proximal patellar realignment on February 6th, 07, which is basically what you described.

I have been out of work since and am due to return on May 2nd. It hasn't been bad, but it hasn't been great either. PT is hard, and I have days where I don't feel like getting off the couch because it's such a hassle to get anywhere.

All OS's have different protocols, but mine had me locked straight for 6 weeks and then bending and full weight bearing since.

If you want to know any specifics, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
    44boji
    (female)

44boji HB User

I am so glad I found others who are dealing with Patella Subluxation. My daughter is active in sports and has twice had her knee dislocate. Now we are trying to decide whether to go forward with surgery, or take a chance and try to protect the knee with a brace. She has been in physical therapy for 2 months and has no pain, but we are told she is high risk to re-injure her knee. I would like to hear more about what your surgery was and how painful it was.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hi Looneybin!

How is your daughter doing after surgery? I hope she is doing better and the surgery was not too bad. If you could please tell me everything about it. I would appreciate. I am nervous about surgery, but I think if I hear what it is like then I will be ok. Thanks for you reply.

Cindy

Old 04-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hi pinklovefuzz!

Wow! That is a long time to be off. I hope I will not be off for a long period of time. Could you tell me everything about the surgery? What do they exactly do? Were you in a cast or brace after surgery? How long after surgery did you start PT? Are you doing better before/after surgery? Did you have stitches? I would appreciate any info you give. Thanks for the reply. Good Luck on PT!

Cindy

Old 04-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Can anyone tell me what causes a Patella Subluxation?

Thanks,

Cindy

P.S. sorry for all the questions.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
    looneybin
    (female)

looneybin HB User

One week after surgery, my daughter is doing really well. She only walks with her brace on or with the help of crutches, but not both. Her surgery was on Thursday and on that first day, she really didn't experience any great pain until late that night after all of the anesthetic they put into the joint had worn off. Day 2 was the hardest, but by day three, she had felt good enough to venture outside to sit in a lawn chair (leg propped up) outside with us. She went back to school on the following Tuesday. She still complains of pain in the knee, but nothing worse than when she pops out the kneecap. She gets her stiches out this coming Monday...she can't wait for that! At that point, I think they are going to set her up for PT.

As far as what causes the patellar subluxation...she is slightly knock-kneed, so her alginment is naturally "off", but I have been told that her ligaments are "loose" like a worn out rubber band and that allows the kneecap to move more than it should. The doctor said that strengthening her muscles will help make up for the loose ligaments. I did the same thing in high school. I am not knock-kneed but have the loose ligaments. I will try to keep you posted. best of luck!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hi Looneybin!

So glad to hear that your daughter is doing good. I saw the surgeon on Wed (4/25/2007). He said that I would need the lateral release and that I might need to do a realignment of my ligaments. He said that if I do the lateral release that I would be out for 4-6wks, but would not need a splint/cast. If I do the lateral release and the realignment of my ligaments that I would still be out for 4-6wks, but I would have to wear the splint/cast for 4-6 wks. I ask the surgeon what is the cause and he said that women are more prone to having patella subluxation. I will let you know when I have the surgery and how it goes. I hope this surgery helps your daughter. Is her other knee giving her the same problem? I am afraid that my other knee will give me problems. I have been told that if I don't have this surgery that I will have osteoarthritis on the back of the knee cap and will damage other parts of my knee and that 10-15 years I will have to have a total knee reconstruction. Is this what you daughter surgeon told you?

Cindy

Old 04-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #11
    looneybin
    (female)

looneybin HB User

My daughter's surgeon didn't give any long term info, but I can say that 22 years ago, I had it happen to my right knee, and then again about 8 years ago (to a milder degree) but have never had problems with my left knee, so hopefully that will be the case for you. From personal experience with my neck, osteoarthritis may not be avoidable because it seems that injuries often lead to arthritis. Sam's surgeon did talk about doing more than a lateral release, however, because of the size of the incision for the muscle/ligament moving, we opted to go more conservative first and then if down the road she needs more then we will go for that then. I hated to see my 15yr old daughter have to live with a 6 inch scar over the top of her knee.

Peg

Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #12
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hi Peg!

I am now having the same problems with both of my knees. The surgeon is correct that both of my knees are bad. I don't know how he could have noticed. The left knee is not as bad as the right knee. I have been fighting with Workers Comp on my right knee and so I have already hired a lawyer and I have a Benefit Review Conference on June 21. They are saying that it is not work-related when I picked up cardboard and my knee went out. Do you think the surgeon can do the surgeon on both knees at the same time or can he do one and then in 2 weeks do the other knee? I don't want to be out of work twice. I want to only do this one time. I am scared of surgery. How is your daughter? Was the surgery worth it?

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 08-29-2007, 05:30 AM   #13
    mommy12
    (female)

mommy12 HB User

How is your daughter? Did she have surgery? We are at the same point now. My daughter does not want it but popped her knee during pt. She is a dancer and worried she won't be able to do it after surgery.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
    lourash
    Inactive
    (female)

lourash HB User

Did you have a tilt to your knee too ?? My mri showed patella sublaxation and lateral tilt. Its has been hurting as has my hip on the right side for over 5 months. The ortho doc took forever to even order the mri of the knee and didn't even do anything for the hip. He says its bursitis of the hip and I don't need to do anything to the knee. now the other hip and knee are doing the same thing. Did you have trouble with just one knee or do you have pain in the other too. I have been trying to loose weight cause the ortho says since I am about 20 lbs over it will help the joints. I hope everything gets better for you soon.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
    NAC3030
    (female)

NAC3030 HB User

I was wondering if anyone has gone through what I am going through. Last year I tripped over my desk at work and tore the menius. And the knee cap slipped ou. I did have surgery, but 4 months later my knee started to slip and with within 8months it slipped out about 10 times. I went to another DR and said I needed a lateral release which I had 6 weeks ago. and since my second surgery my knee slips out at least 2 to 3 times a week now. just last week it sarted slipping out almost everyday. I'm in pain and will probably have to have another surgery. can anyone tell me if they have had the same problem?? I am so worried about my knee. I'm worried because it's also under workmans comp, which has been real good but the Doctors just suck.

Closed Thread