It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Tummy Tuck

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
    bigbootymona
    Inactive
    (female)

bigbootymona HB User
    Re: Tummy Tuck

Thank you my dear..............I will let you informed of the results I get..........may be post before and after photos of my self here too.thanks again for the help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #17
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

you are welcome - hope some of my experience and thoughts helped you. Good luck and I hope you get some great results (and I'm sure you will).
    take care

Old 03-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #18
    jbear123
    (female)

jbear123 HB User

Hi, I had extensive whole body lift, it's called a "belt lipectomy" (lipo, tummy tuck,etc) after losing 150 lbs. I was 62 yrs. old, it is very overwhelming on the rest of your body. I was cut all the way around my body and 25 lbs. of skin and fluid removed. I did have a fantatic surgeon. When I left the hospital after 4 days (I was only supposed to stay in 1 day) I have 6 drains, sutures. one drain had to stay in for 8 weeks. It took at least 6 months to start (just start) to feel better. It has been over a year now and if someone would say to me, was I glad I had it done. I would have to answer yes, but at the time it took a lot out of me, mainly because of my age....so before you do this, do a lot of research and what actually you want done, where and what doctor....I wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
    me2007
    (female)

me2007 HB User

I have a few questions. How many surgoens would you guys suggest I consult with first (second opinions) before deciding? Also, how much does surgery like this cost? Roughly that is. If I do not have much of a waist and carry all my weight in the middle (apple shaped)would I more than likely need lipo along with a full TT? I know, its just an opinion, Id need to consult a surgeon, but just wondered what you guys, who have already gone through it, thought. One last questions, Ive heard that you can return to work (light duty or desk job) after about two weeks post-surgery....is this true? Thanks!

Old 03-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #20
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

I would recommend seeing 2-3 surgeons and ask your friends for references too. Make sure the surgeons show you THEIR before and afters - some can even take your photo and morph it to show you somewhat what your results might be. I honestly cannot give you a fair quote on what full tummy tuck cost b/c I did mine at the same time I had my hysterectomy (hee hee) and the surgeons tagged teamed ---- needless to say longgg recovery. YES you will need lipo along with the tummy tuck probably just a little to even you out so to speak - I did anyway. Recovery was tough - you literally do not want to stand up straight for a good week or so b/c all your abdomen muscles have been cut and believe me it hurts and also the surgeons don't want you to either. I had my drains in for at least 3 weeks but that's me. Everyone is different and really no one can tell you how your recovery will be (stinks doesn't it?). Rought estimate on my cost was probably around $7,000 but that was 6 years ago but it was worth it. hope this helps some.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #21
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Unhappy Re: Tummy Tuck

This is what is so unfair in my opinion. If a woman goes for a hysterectomy, she usually has a morphine pump in the hosp. (my friend did). If she goes for a stomach stapling, she gets morphine (my other friend did). BUT if she goes for a tummy tuck? No morphine
    Do these plastic surgeons not "get it?" That if they would lessen the post operative agony to almost nothing THEY'D HAVE MORE BUSINESS.
    I mean, I'm a Grandmother (!) and I'd have a TT tomorrow if I'd be guaranteed little pain. I Refuse to believe that movie stars suffer like the ordinary woman.
    I bet they know which docs give the good stuff and that's who they go to. They all have work done, they compare notes, talk about the experience--and they go for the lesser pain docs. Betcha.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #22
    bigbootymona
    Inactive
    (female)

bigbootymona HB User

I fully agree with you Susan............do you think Pamela Anderson felt any pain when she did her boobs? I don't think so............that's why she kept doing her boobs again and again as if it was just fun.........no pain at all because her doctor helped her overcome the pain.
    Unfortunately we are no Super Stars so we have to live in pain after each surgery.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-15-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: please don't quote the previous post - it just clogs the thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #23
    nygirl98
    (female)

nygirl98 HB User

Hi everyone, i just found this site today, and i'm glad i did. I've found reassurance here. As i'm 5 days post-op from a full tummy tuck.

I've been going through so many emotions since the surgery. (mostly pain-based emotions) I keep wondering why didn't i just keep trying to workout and tighten the abs and skin on my own, but the truth is i had a lot of stretch marks and extra skin in my lower abdomen pouch. most of the straie is gone ...they didn't go away 100%. 100% of the extra skin is gone. my abs look very flat and toned.

but i've been freaking out about not being able to stand up straight ever again and having the stretching tight feeling accompanied with the sharp shooting pain of some nerve endings in the groin area. i understand this is all normal and will eventually get better.

The doctor commented that he did remove quite a bit of skin. i'm wondering if he may have taken TOO much skin. Is that possible? does skin regenerate and expand again?

I selected this PS because of his reputation and i've had 2 co-workers have TTs by him as well. so i've seen his work, it's beautiful. he also has a very modest and honest temperament about him.

I have a lot of swelling in my pubic area as well as in my abdomen. i have just one drain which will be removed tomorrow. i was told to be on pain meds for that procedure.

the only thing holding my incision area together are "steri-strips". my PS told me this was all i needed.

i've never suffered a migraine before in my life until 2 days post-op. it was "hell" it made me nauseous and i threw-up. has anyone ever had these similiar after post-op effects. is it from the pain medicine. I'm trying not to take pain meds just limiting it to 1x per day vs. every 5 hours

i'm supposed to go back to work on the 24th of April not sure how i'll manage that since i work in DC and there's a lot of up and down metro station stairs, etc. and its a good .8 of a mile walk from the metro to my office.

Please reassure me that this will all get better. I just want to feel like my old self again. will i ever be able to bend and stretch and run again.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #24
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Talking Re: Tummy Tuck

hi, I hate to answer since I've never had a tummy tuck but I wanted to reassure you that you will stand up straight, climb stairs, bend and stretch and everything will be back to normal--in time. I have read quite a bit about cosmetic surgeries and I think it'll be one full month before you'll be 100% again. You Do know, I assume, that you were cut open and had muscles
    tightened? This isn't some minor thing. You'll be so flat, so slim, so much more attractive with your new stomach I Know you'll be glad you went thru all this. I think it'll be a month before you'll be able to climb stairs standing straight up. I'm envious of you! You're gonna look fabulous .

Last edited by moderator2; 04-15-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: please don't quote the previous post - it just clogs the thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #25
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

I had mine done about six years ago and ohhh how I remember saying the same things. You will be GREAT!!!! You are not suppose to stand up straight for a while. But trust me in a few weeks you will be so thrilled.

As far as the drain removal I remember that part too -- doesn't hurt as much as you would think to have it removed - it was more of a "oh my that was inside of me???" kinda feeling. Just don't watch them remove it - trust me on this one!! BUT PLEASE if you start to see fluid start to build up a few days later call your doctor and they can quickly drain it off for you. I had to do that numerous times and again it was NOT painful at all!!! Your tummy will be numb for a long time (atleast mine was) so draining off excess fluid, as bad as it sounds, does not hurt - and I'm a big baby when it comes to that stuff. So don't be nervous about it.

If your pain pills are making you sick to your stomach have them changed to something different or give you a prescription for phenergan for nausea. I can't take Percocet so I take Mepergan. Remember you are the patient and you need to tell your doctor these things b/c everyone reacts differently to pain meds.

If your back is bothering you because you are hunched over the best advice I can give you is invest in a shower stool so you can sit while showering and be able to "enjoy" the warm water hitting your sore back. It was a life saver for me. I just picked one up I think at Walgreens and it wasn't expensive at all. I used mine for a long time especially after a hard day or when I first woke up when you tend to be more "tight".

You going back to work on the 24th should be ok - if you are no longer needing your prescription pain meds. You will probably be tired the first week or so getting back in the swing of things and you might even see some swelling so plan on that when dressing everyday. You might even want to take a pair of sweatpants/elastic banded and tennis shoes to change into for your commute home. If you were in great shape before your surgery though you should be fine though. Just remember the more activity the more swelling you will have but that will eventually stop - it just takes a while but little by little it will improve. This swelling also will be more than likely only noticeable to you - so don't freak out about this.

As I said having my tummy tuck (and mine was hip to hip) was the best decision I ever made - I'm just sorry I didn't do it sooner. Get plenty of rest and drink tons of water. And definitely relax during your time off - this is YOUR time to recover!

hope some of info helps -- take care

ps-----you said something about skin stretching afterwards. Mine has not - not one little bit!! Mine is still tight and flat and I've gained and lost 5-10lbs here and there - thank goodness though this past year I've manged to keep all of it off - but shhhhhh I still hate cardio, lol.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #26
    nygirl98
    (female)

nygirl98 HB User

River & Susan- Thank you both so much for this wonderful reassurance. when you're looking down and feeling all the pain and wierdness it's so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel...I know it's like a slow process and with time it will all feel and look great! patience and healing. i'll definitely post again...**** the recovery and post op photos, etc.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #27
    marie72
    (female)

marie72 HB User

Hi everyone!

I was happy to see that this discussion has continued. I will be going in on April 30 for a full tummy tuck and breast lift, possible implants, haven't decided on that yet, too confusing. You guys just gave me some excellent information about the tummy tuck. Thanks! Where were your drains?, my surgeon said she would put them on the sides, by my hips, much more comfortable. I was wondering about the compression garments, has anyone used them, do I need them, I'm allergic to latex and was concerned if I should invest in latex free ones. My surgeon made metion that I may not need them, any advice? Glad to hear eveyone's happy with their results!!

Old 04-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #28
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marie72 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I was happy to see that this discussion has continued. I will be going in on April 30 for a full tummy tuck and breast lift, possible implants, haven't decided on that yet, too confusing. You guys just gave me some excellent information about the tummy tuck. Thanks! Where were your drains?, my surgeon said she would put them on the sides, by my hips, much more comfortable. I was wondering about the compression garments, has anyone used them, do I need them, I'm allergic to latex and was concerned if I should invest in latex free ones. My surgeon made metion that I may not need them, any advice? Glad to hear eveyone's happy with their results!!
    WOW!! You have got an exciting day to look forward to. I wish there was a way to do private messaging. I just had a lift and implants about a year ago. I think the statement of once you do one procedure you want another is true - atleast for me,

When I had my tummy tuck (along with a complete hysterectomy) my drains were somewhere down there I feel that they were more in between my hips and pubic area. Remember the end of the drain tube is somewhere other than where it is coming out of your body as it is just a long hose. But I do remember having to safety pin them up to my clothing so they wouldn't hang or pull.

PLEASE get yourself a shower seat and a RAISED toliet seat. I promise you will be so much happier to have these when you get home. Just imagine doing nothing but ab exercises for 24 hours and the next day trying to sit down or get up - a raised toliet seat will be a lifesaver for you - it will be the best money you will have ever spent and they aren't expensive. Also if you have a poster type of bed tie a rope to the end post to help pull you up.

Compression garments -- YES YES -- you will want to wear one. I can't imagine you leaving the OR without one on. Number one reason it makes a huge difference keeping the swelling down. If you are allergic to latex definitely check with your surgeon about ones without - I didn't realize they had latex in them It was a real strange feeling when I took mine off that first time -- a feeling I can't even describe - it just felt like my skin was real loose and if I didn't put the garment back on my stomach would just jiggle After a few weeks I started wearing Spanx.

Are you getting a full anchor lift? That's what I did and like you I also couldn't decide on implants at first but went ahead and got them (small ones). I'm glad I did now - I was just worried I would be lifted but "empty". I had quite a bit of breast tissue but wanted to be able to completely fill out/in a bikini top but still look natural. I was a C/D going into surgery and came out a D so no one even noticed - the only comments I had was I looked like I lost weight . You will be amazed after you have your lift and tuck too how taller and thinner you look because your breast are off of your abdomen!

take care and keep us updated

Old 04-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #29
    marie72
    (female)

marie72 HB User

Hi River525,
    Thanks a million for the reply. I'm not sure what type of lift we're doing yet. The surgeon wants to cut a minimal as possible, with the option to do a lollipop lift if needed, not an anchor. I'm an empty c-cup would like to be full or small D. Victoria's Secret has been my secret for the last 4 years, every one thinks I have a large chest, but I hate the way I look when the bra comes off. I'm so tired of adjusting them and of the heavy bras. I don't think anyone will notice mine if I keep the size natural and fitting for my body. What type of implants did you get? Saline or Silicone? What manufacturer? Are you happy with them, do they move around, do they feel cold in your body? I'm always cold and worry that they will make me feel cold. I know it sounds silly, but I need to know. Did you use silicone sheets for your scars? Thanks about the tiolet seat, I feel like I potty training, lol! Have seat will travel! Looking forward to hearing from you!!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #30
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

I went with saline and they are under the muscle. I did this about a year ago and I too was worried about always knowing something artificial was inside. I won't lie - I definitely notice and yes I feel them moving around. I work out 3-4 times a week and I still am uncomfortable doing push ups or pull ups but other than that all is great! They don't feel cold at all though - I hadn't even heard of that being an issue. I asked about the silicone and my surgeon said unless I just felt like spending the extra $$ he said I really wouldn't notice a difference - but who knows that answer till you have had both, right, lol?? My girlfriend went with silicone and she was flat as a board and she said hers are heavy so not sure about that comment. My implants are McGhan or Inamed (same company just not sure which is the newer name) and I also bought the warranty so I can always go larger if I wanted too but I don't think I will - my teenage son would die if I became a Dolly Parton look a like - hee hee.

Yes I used silicone sheets for scarring. They help and the cheaper brands work just as good as the expensive name brand ones - so save your dollars and get the CVS or Walgreen brands. You just cut them to fit over the scars and believe me they stay on!! Just make darn sure your scars are completely healed over before using them though or you will pull the scabs off and that is a big OUCH!!

Also regardless if you do implants or not - find a comfortable bra to sleep in - no wire of course. I bought mine from Chico's line of lingerie - Sonoma. And to change it up I will wear a Spanx top. I am now never without a bra - drives my husband crazy, lol. But sorry I'm protecting my investment from falling.

Just a little hint - don't freak out about looking like Madonna with the torpedo look - that does go away. I was lucky as my implants really fell into place quickly so I didn't have the square boob syndrome or boobs up to my collarbone like some do. My girlfriend had that but they dropped after a couple of weeks and hers look great.

I don't know you but from your description of yourself I would say go ahead and do the implants. I'm glad I did b/c I know I would have regretted not doing so and then I would have had to wait 6 months or so to do the implants and basically doing it at the same time of the lift the cost is a lot less b/c they are already working on them.

If I knew you and you lived near me I would literally bet you a big wad of $$$ that an elevated toliet will be a lifesaver for you. And a shower stool. Seriously please go get these - and you will be wanting to send me flowers to say thanks for the advice on this. Don't want to be too explicit and I'm not sure if you have ever had surgery before but the toliet will be your friend/enemy for a week or so and you will want that extra height. And make sure you ask your doctor for some Ambien or something to help you sleep because for the first week if not longer you will be sleeping on your back and unless you are a back sleeper it will be difficult.

I hope I'm not freaking you out of anything but if I was in your situation I would want to know everything upfront to be able to plan and be prepared - hopefully you feel that way too.

take care and feel free to ask anything - You are going to be so thrilled when this is all over -- especially with summer right around the corner!!! BIKINI shopping!

Closed Thread