It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• stretch marks?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
    junebug85
    (female)

junebug85 HB User
    Angry stretch marks?

I recently freaked out when I found some (very minor) stretch marks on my inner thighs in the shower. A friend of mine, who also happens to be a recovering anorexic, told me that she heard that when you lose a dramatic amount of weight and keep it off for quite a while you'll get stretch marks at a very young age (I'm only 21!). Has anyone else experienced this? The eating disorder part of me wants to say that the obvious way to deal with this is to lose the weight again and then they'll disappear, but the rational part of me knows that this isn't the answer. If anyone else has dealt with this or knows anything about it, I was just looking for some advice on what to do thats healthy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User
    Re: stretch marks?

I don't post here much any more as I have recently found out I'm pregnant and just trying to avoid triggers altogether (though I have been recovered from anorexia over 5 years now).

The thing about stretch marks is--you will get them and once you do, they don't ever go away, whether you lose or gain weight--so don't listen to the ED voice, losing weight will not make the stretch marks go away!

I got them too, after I recovered from anorexia (especially on my hips). Rapid weight loss or gain or fluctuating weight can cause them. The only thing I've heard of that could possibly keep them from getting worse is using Palmer's Cocoa butter (this is debateable but a lot of pregnant women seem to have success with this minimizing stretch marks). I'm planning to try this with my pregnancy to avoid stretch marks on my stomach.

I used to be very self-conscious about them, but now, I just don't care so much. Sure, I'd rather they weren't there, but it's better to be healthy with a few stretch marks than feeling dizzy, faint weak & horrible all the time and living life ruled by an ED.

Closed Thread