It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• palpitations and Gerd

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2006, 06:45 AM   #31
    kattjo5220
    (female)

kattjo5220 HB User
    Re: palpitations and Gerd

For those of you posting about herat palps & reflux.
    Your vagus nerve runs next to your esophogus, I believe it also is connected or runs close to your stomach & lungs.

When The acid shoots up your esphogus it can irritate the vagus nerve thus causing heart palps. My GI called these A-Typical symptoms, I have a silent reflux, no heart burn, only heart palps, nausea, breathing difficulties, dizziness eventually I ended up with LPR because I had reflux for years and had no idea.

Also since laying down makes reflux worse then laying down will make the heart palps worse and so will eating or any activity that may make your reflux worse.

It causes a lot of anxiety to have your body acting crazy and not having an explanation. I never had anxiety problems until I spent a year with unknown reflux.
    I have to say also tht I have tried countless meds, zegrid, nexium, pepcid, prilosec OTC & RX, tagament, zantac... Most of which increased my heart palps.

I am back for a scope next week, I have been off meds except tums for 14 months. I may try the remaining few meds there are.

I hope this helps with anyones anxiety. It helped me so much to know that there is a physical reason for my symptoms and that I am not losing my mind. Nothing is wrong with my heart.

Good luck
    Katt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #32
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Thanks for letting us know why it could be worse when laying down. I still wonder why the medications would make it happen more often or worse. Is it possible to have acid coming up and not notice it because it happens when your asleep and you just sleep through it?

Old 04-29-2006, 08:34 PM   #33
    lulu123
    (female)

lulu123 HB User

Yes you can sleep through an episode. I was waking up most nights when I was in my 30's with a feeling of something in the back of my throat. The doctor told me at that time that I was experiencing heartburn and that I should not eat or drink anything a couple of hours before bedtime. As time went on the episodes got worse. Four years ago I started regurgitating in my sleep and on two occasions actually inhaled a small amount. That was a rude awakening and extremely painful!

The doctor put me on Prevacid and a motility drug (my stomach takes an awful long time to empty) to aid in quicker digestion. I think the Prevacid may be part of the "heart palp" problem, but when I think about what I had been drinking that day I can chaulk some of it up to an increase in CAFFIENE!

The doctor also said that when I have an increase in chest pain it is due to the reflux so I should use a little spray of nitro. I know that sounds drastic (it certainly did to me!) but it actually works! The chest pain goes away and I feel much better...except for the nitro headache of course! Remember though I have been completely checked for heart problems and my nitro is endorsed by my doctor specifically for the reflux symptoms. Maybe those of you who are having increased chest pain with no heart problems could ask your own physicians about this treatment.

Good Luck!

Old 04-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #34
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

What is a motility drug and how do you know if you need one? If your stomach empties slow does that mean your full or feel all the time?

Old 04-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #35
    lulu123
    (female)

lulu123 HB User

If I understood the doctor correctly, my digestion is so slow that it takes a long time to leave the stomach, therefore there was more time for the contents to spill up into the esophogas. Taking the motility drug did not change how my stomach felt one way or the other. It just moved the food out at a quicker rate.

The drug that I am taking is called Ran-Domperidone 10 mg. I take it four times a day. Perhaps looking up the drug on the internet would give you more information than I am able.

Check out the healthboard as well. Someone has posted some information about "esophageal motility" in a past thread. I don't know if that relates to my situation however.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:56 AM   #36
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the reply. I see, it moves the food out of the stomach faster. I was thinking it would move the food out of your entire body faster so not to get constipated. I'll do an internet search.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #37
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

Yes, i get them also. Especially, when I eat something that does not agree with me, I"m on Prilosec. They scare the crap out of me.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #38
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User

I think the heart palpatations are caused by undigested food sitting in the colon (which in my opinion is the cause of reflux). If you notice when you wake up in the morning your full of gas. Anyway the colon moves up pressing against all your stomach, heart etc. When the gas goes away, pressure is off, heart tends to palpatate. It isn't harmful but scary when it happens.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #39
    lovejoy_rat
    (female)

lovejoy_rat HB User

Palpitations was actually one of the first signs of my reflux. Im only 23, so naturally instead of thinking it was a tummy problem, I flipped out and landed myself in the er with an anxiety attack. My diagnosis is relatively new (as of yesterday hahaha) and I'm still in the freak out what do I do now, can I even eat anything stage. The more I read here, the better I feel about my situation tho! Good luck everyone!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #40
    ~K~
    Inactive
    (female)

~K~ HB User

I think anything that stimulates the vagus nerve can cause palpitations.
    If I dare to drink something fizzy I often get a run of ectopic beats, or bending forward I can get them. If I ate to much and got bloated I would have a racing heart and skipped beats.
    My husband has ectopics after having a heart stent. His doctor said that every cell in the heart can initiate a beat - so pressure from inside the heart or in most of our cases, under the heart, can cause ectopics.
    I wish it was possible to post a link here because I was also reading about magnesium and palpitation - linked to gerd. I will update when I have re-read it.

Closed Thread