It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone Have experience with Effexor for Anxiety & Panic

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
    djames
    (female)

djames HB User
    Anyone Have experience with Effexor for Anxiety & Panic

I just started Effexor after being on Paxil for 5 years I stopped the Paxil about 7 months ago. Want to know other peoples experiences, with this drug I am also taking Ativan for the Anxiety until this drug starts working. I am pretty miserable Dizziness, sweats, I am hoping this will pass. Look forward to anyones input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
    LdyNY
    (female)

LdyNY HB User
    Re: Anyone Have experience with Effexor for Anxiety & Panic

Oh wow, I take Effexor and I also take Ativan too

I started taking both Effexor and Ativan back in 2003, so I've been on them for about 4 years now. They've helped me a LOT with both my depression and my anxiety. Effexor got rid of my depression almost 100%, but I am still very anxious, which is why I still take the Ativan.

How much Effexor are you on now? You may have to go through all different doses until you find one that hopefully works. I know that my father has been on Paxil for years, first he tried Effexor and it didn't work for him. I was on Wellbutrin, and also Lexapro, but they made me feel worse. Effexor has been the only thing that helps.

I've gone from 37.5mg to 75 to 150, and at one point I was on 300mg's a day. Now I'm down to 150mg, I take two 75mg's together in the morning. I can tell you one thing, do NOT forget to take Effexor on time. The withdrawal symptoms are absolutely horrible. It makes my whole body ache, I can't get out of bed because I'm dizzy, I sweat all night long with nightmares and I'll get those 'brain zap' things.

The Ativan should help a bit, I take it when I have an anxiety attack and it works wonders.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
    djames
    (female)

djames HB User

Hi Thanks for the info. I have started on a super low dose since I am so sensitive to these drugs, I have started on a quarter of a pill of the lowest dosage and I will work my way up. Trying to avoid more panic attacks I am having several a day which have been very debilitating., I am 51 and have suffered with this all my life, I should know better by now but I have a lot stress in my life which I have been ignoring and it finally took its toll. Thanks Again

Old 05-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
    Dawn B.
    (female)

Dawn B. HB User

Can I ask you why you stopped taking Paxil?
    I was on it for 6.5 yr. and it just quit working. I'm trying to find something to replace it. Effexor just scares me. I have not tried it, though my doc seems to always be asking me if I want to try it.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
    LdyNY
    (female)

LdyNY HB User

Even though Effexor DOES have its scary withdrawal effects... I know a lot of people who it successfully worked for. Especially people who tried both Lexapro and Paxil unsuccessfully. If you take it everyday on time, you're fine. You don't get any horrible feelings. And my depression has improved 100%! I am never depressed like I used to be, I just have really bad anxiety.

But the Ativan does wonders for that. 1mg 3 times a day, or if I don't feel too anxious some days, I don't take any. Then I save a few for when I get a really bad anxiety attack, and I'll take 2 to calm me down. I just feel like Effexor and Ativan is a good combo (In my opinion, of course) to treat Depression mostly, and then your anxiety.

It's been a true life saver for me, as much as I hate that my body is dependent on it now... I may not be here if it weren't for Effexor

Closed Thread