It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• My Stapedectomy report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #196
    mattbk
    (male)

mattbk HB User
    Re: My Stapedectomy report

Well, I'm 2 months post-op and I go in tomorrow to get my other ear done. I'm not nervous like I was the last time, but I'm still not excited for the recovery. I'm hearing great with my operated ear and am optimistic about this second operation. I haven't had many side-effects, just ringing in the operated ear.

Last edited by mattbk; 05-16-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 04:57 AM   #197
    Monicas667
    (female)

Monicas667 HB User

Good luck Matt!

Old 05-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #198
    Kat72
    (female)

Kat72 HB User

Is it possible to have no packing? The only visible stuff in my ear canal is a bit of scabby/dried blood gunk (that I would LOVE to rip out of my oh so itchy canal). I'm assuming maybe "packing" is just a wee bit of stuff way back? Surgery was 5/11 and having all the reverb super amplified hearing creepysaurus stuff. Post-op on Friday.

thanks everyone who has responded previously!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #199
    Monicas667
    (female)

Monicas667 HB User

Kat - you probably do have the packing. It's not something you can see - or someone else looking in your ear w/o the same instruments the doctor uses. My husband looked in my ear after surgery and only saw the dried blood gunk in there.

I have absolutely no idea what the packing looks like, but my doctor made a comment that it's kind of like little globules... if that makes any sense. He said it was on both sides of the ear drum and would dissolve on it's own on the inside.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Monicas667; 05-16-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #200
    Kat72
    (female)

Kat72 HB User

When you saw your surgeon for the post-op did he/she clean out the ear gunk? It feels like there is a disproportionate wad of stuff in there! A bit (a lot) maddening. Almost total loss of taste/numb tongue. I'm a bit more curious about this viscous paste in my mouth. I have to carry a water bottle w/ me or it gets too thick to speak. I thought it was from the anaesthesia or maybe the nausea patch or other meds but I am off everything and still the tongue paste continues.
    Ohm!
    Thanks so much for your responses ~

Old 05-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #201
    Monicas667
    (female)

Monicas667 HB User

Yes, he cleaned out some of it at the 1 week and most at the 2 week post-op. There was still some of the packing stuck with dried blood where he had to do the graft on my ear drum, so he left that until the next visit. He had me put ear drops in to loosen it up.

The cleaning was a little freaky too - it's vacuumed out and it's loud! Not painful, just weird.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #202
    Kat72
    (female)

Kat72 HB User

Monica ~

Thanks. I can't even imagine a vacuum a;kdfja.
    I appreciate your insight.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #203
    Bran80
    (female)

Bran80 HB User

Okay so Day 8 is here. I have also started having the creepy reverb thing happening and it is seriously driving me CRAZY! It only started on Tuesday a little bit, but then yesterday it was full blown. Every sound I hear has a high pitched echo to it. My husband was highly amused by this and was making any weird voices he could. Jerk!

Other than that, I have been finding myself waking up on the operated ear because that was the side I slept on mostly before, but there is no blood or pain, so I assume it is okay. There is little pain left (it is intense for a few seconds then gone) so I am not taking any T3s any more, just Advil. There are the odd moments of dizziness when I move too fast or spin around to get something. I am driving no problem. It just seems that this reverb thing is going to be the death of me. I just want to shoot myself to make it stop at times! Just kidding! I am glad I have not yet gone back to subbing because the noise in the mall made me crazy yesterday.

Thanks for all the support everyone. Now if I ever need to get my left ear done, I won't be worried at all.

Oh yeah and all I can see is the dried blood pieces too and I REALLY want to rip it out too. I kept the cotton ball in there until yesterday, because I a compulsive picker and I thought that at least the cotton ball would prevent some of it.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:02 AM   #204
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

HI ALL............

I had my right ear done yesterday...

Had to be there at 9:00am. Did all the pre-op stuff..blood, chest xray and EKG. Then went to waiting area for about 2 hours.

Went to pre-op room, got iv, talked to doc, they marked which ear to be done and then they gave me something in my IV to "Relax" me.

That's the last thing I remember until I was in recovery room with the nurse shaking me trying to wake me up. Last time, I was awake in the OR for about 20 minutes before they knocked me out, so not remembering even going in OR room was kinda of wierd.

Anyway, about 2 hours in recovery she said you have to eat something, drink something and go potty, then you can go home. Within 15 minutes, I did all 3 and left.

No dizzy at all, nothing like last time when I couldn't move my head an inch without wanting to puke. No pain at all either. Car ride home was pleasant cause I wasn't hugging a trash can this time.

Came home, went to sleep and slept for 4 hours. Got up, ate, went back to sleep.

About 4am, the pain hit and woke me up. I got outta bed to grab pain pills and discovered that the big dizzy's had hit too.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

So, took drugs and promptly went back to sleep.

Right now I can't hear anything out of that ear that is in a normal tone. Can't hear snapping or anything except really Loud noises - they are getting through - rumbling and echoing and rattling the old head.

Last surgery I heard conversation immediately, distorted but I could hear. Can't hear chit this time yet. BUT...last time I had basically no hearing in that ear pre-op so it was a super dramatic improvement.

This ear (right one) was my "good" ear since it wasn't near as bad as the left so the doc said any change would not be apparent until swelling goes down. I understood that, but wasn't ready to not be able to hear anything!.

Oh well......BUMP. The first of many as you all know.

ok...Ima go back to sleep.

More Later..

-Carol-

ps. Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Last edited by CAB1; 05-20-2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: drug induced typos

Old 05-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #205
    Deftone
    (male)

Deftone HB User
    Thumbs up Re: My Stapedectomy report

Hi all. I just had my first surgery on my right ear may 15th. No complications to report. Wish i had known about this forum months leading to surgery, but sure am glad to have found it! I had pain during 4 hour post op recovery, but as soon as i got my hydrocodone i was fine. Dizziness was the biggest setback. I had no nassea and a big appetite. I found myself eating more just out of boredom! The posts here make me feel so good about my decision(really the only one to make!!) I was getting a little worried, but realize it takes time for the healing process.

I've been dealing with hearing loss for about 6 years now. Finally decided to do something about it and received best news possible. Cheers to the Stapedectomy!! First post and it won't be my last. Healing prayers to all, Tony

Old 05-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #206
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,
    Day 4 post-op. Still can't hear a thing.

Major dizzies everyonce in a while. Pain off and on. Ear still draining a little too.

Trying to keep a positive attitude but it's really hard to right now.

I know, I know - patience. But its driving me nuts.

Need some cheerleaders to pick me up!

More Later,

-Carol-

Old 05-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #207
    Deftone
    (male)

Deftone HB User

Going through the open-close phase. Got a good heart beat going too. Still get dizzy here and there. Can't imagine being on my feet for 9 hours at a time. Work's gonna suck! 6th day post-op

Old 05-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #208
    Monicas667
    (female)

Monicas667 HB User

Carol - Don't despair (as you know)!! Not hearing for a while is something the doctors say can happen. We've all be lucky on this forum to hear fairly early, though after a couple days I remember not hearing very well at all. I'm sure you hearing will start to improve!

Deftone - I can't imagine having to stand for 9 hours without the surgery, let alone with it!! I'm pretty much dizzy-free, though there are still days that I feel it... and I'm now 9 weeks post op. It affects me more when I'm tired, so I try not to be tired ... not always easy to do.

Bran - hopefully the reverb feeling has subsided for you! I had a hard time with that phase. That and the loud heartbeat... I even told my husband to put his ear next to mine - I was sure he had to be able hear it since it was SOOO loud. He didn't. Oh well.

Good luck everyone!

Old 05-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #209
    Kat72
    (female)

Kat72 HB User

My surgery was on the 11th and I'm just just just entering times where I do not think of my messed up hearing. (rah rah ~ pom poms!) We went to the ocean today and I thought privately (and nervously) how horrific and loud and stormy the sea sounded. Not once did I connect it to my overly weird ear. I guess that's progress .

There was some mix up with my prescriptions when I left the hospital in that I was never given an Rx for eardrops. When (if you've had them prescribed) were they to begin? 48 hrs. post-surgical or later? Thanks for any input.

(and I must add how super freaky it is to hear things and think they're right behind you only they're quite far away)

Also thanks to the previous individuals who replied to my questions!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #210
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

Day 4 (late at night) post-op.

No pain, dizzy spells everyonce in a while. Still can't hear anything except.....for the old heartbeat/pulse sound. It's LOUD.

Other than waiting to be able to hear...things are going well. My naps are even getting shorter.

Kat - I didn't get ear drops prescribed with either surgery. Just pain med, dizzy pill and antiobiotic.

More later,

-Carol-

Closed Thread