It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Any luck with meds and obsessive thoughts? Going to psych again today...need input.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 AM   #1
    deenie
    (female)

deenie HB User
    Any luck with meds and obsessive thoughts? Going to psych again today...need input.

I am 45 yrs old today and have been anxious for a large part of my life. Nothing too bad except that over the past 2 yrs, it's caused physical symptoms. Well, after going through infertility and multiple miscarriages in my late 30s, having lots of bad medical luck during that time and finally two children after the age of 40, I've come to the conclusion that until I get time to exercise a lot more and get more "me" time, meds are the way to go. I just can't get a handle on the anxiety any other way. I've tried therapy, hypnosis, etc. but I still have insomnia, anxiety, breathlessness, etc.

My psych prescribed Buspirone (10 mg. 2x/day) which I've been on for about 9 mos. It seemed to help but now I'm not so sure. I still have obsessive thoughts over my health. I am healthy but when I started getting weird symptoms a few years ago, coupled with the realization that bad things can happen to me, it started getting out of control. I've always been a worrier and go from pimple to tumor in two seconds flat. Now that I finally have the children I've always wanted, I worry about them, my heatlh, DH's. I'm always afraid it will be taken away from me.

My psych had mentioned meds for the obsessive thoughts but I hesitate to try them because I don't need the sexual side effects. As it is, it's hard for DH and I to carve out any time for ourselves and with insomnia, my desire is non-existant as it is. Then I wonder if it could get any worse...but still, when we have sex, it's possible. I'd hate to lose that too. Maybe the trade off is worth it.

Today I'm waiting for repeat bloodwork that checked for high potassium levels. I had a physical over 2 yrs ago and the Dr. had seen slightly elevated levels and it sent up a red flag. Now I just had a physical and it came back slightly elevated again. He didn't worry since he says it happened to his wife and can have to do with lab error and how they process the sample or how they take the blood. He had me do it a certain way at a lab downstairs from him office on Tues. that would give a truer reading. It was at an hematology/oncology practice...talk about anxiety provoking! I was told the results would be in yesterday but, of course, they didn't get them. So here I sit on my bday panicking about bad news. He says most likely it's a big nothing but he wants to check it out. The thing is, if it's high, it could be something serious like adrenal problems (Addison's) or kidney disease. He doesn't see anything else troubling in my bloodwork which is comforting but I dread the thought of getting more tests or hearing anything but, "all is fine. It must've been lab error." I've been panicking since last week.

It's just that I've had times now where a Dr. has given me horrible news like when my 8 wk old pg ended when they couldn't find a heartbeat anymore and my 2 subsequent miscarriages. Of course I've had good outcomes too and things have been fine more times than not but it's hard for me to shake what COULD be.

My meds are doing nothing for that now and the Clonazepam .5 as needed doesn't do anything but make me tired. What do you think? Any other experiences like this out there. How do you handle it? Thanks.

P.S. sorry this is so long

Last edited by msmod; 05-24-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Read the posting rules as well as all "Sticky" posts at the top of this board as to why parts of your post were removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User
    Re: Any luck with meds and obsessive thoughts? Going to psych again today...need inpu

You might need your buspirone increased. My pdoc put me on 15mg 2x a day to start. After 2 years it stopped working and he upped it to 30mg 2x a day. It has helped tremendously. I am getting some intrusive thoughts lately but not obsessing like i was. God bless

Old 05-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
    deenie
    (female)

deenie HB User
    Thanks Marian

I saw my Dr. who upped my meds to 15 mg. twice a day. I hope this does the trick. I don't find myself really depressed but more anxious and found Buspirone to be without side effects so I'd like to stick with it. She's a conservative Dr. so she started me out on 5 mg. 2/day and I went up to 10 but now we're at 15...we'll see.

Thanks for your post. Still wondering about my test. Called the lab and Dr. and they sent it to CA since they don't do this particular test here. That means a long holiday weekend with no news. Maybe I'll be so sick of worrying about it by next week, I won't be panicking anymore. At least I hope so. Health anxiety is the pits.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User
    Re: Any luck with meds and obsessive thoughts? Going to psych again today...need inpu

Don't you hate the waiting? Try to think positive. Are you having any symptoms? If not then listen to your doctor and don't worry. Big help right ! I am a worrier also. I am working on that aspect. I can only do so much and put the rest in God's hands. Not try to take it back. Hope your test comes out ok. God bless

Closed Thread