It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Accutane and Minocycline

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2003, 10:25 AM   #1
    StripedShirt

StripedShirt HB User
    Lightbulb Accutane and Minocycline

I just got prescribed accutane while i was on minocycline.. The dermatologist didnt say anything about the two.. and the pharmacists didnt notice when i got my first pack of pills either. But when i went back to the pharmacy to pick up the second pack the pharmacist rushed over to me and gave me a sheet saying that the two are never to be taken together. aparently they have serious serious problems resulting in both being taken in the same period.
    We called the derm and she just said "yeah.. uh.. Why dont you go ahead and stop that minocycline now."
    Is it that serious? anyone know? I think the pharm. said something about seizures and such. kinda scary that noone noticed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
    knut

knut HB User
    EEK, I don't know anything about combining the two, but I wouldn't just leave it at that. Figure out why there is a problem, either call a pharmacist or your doctor. I mean, it may be absolutely nothing, but being that accutane is such an intense drug, I wouldn't want to risk it.

Old 08-24-2003, 09:48 PM   #3
    hancho

hancho HB User
    for about 1 year, i alternated the two medicines but i did not take the two medications together.
    what my doctor allowed me to do was take 1 week of accutane and then 3 weeks of minocin, and i continued this cycle for about a year.
    This helped my acne alot but the only thing i did not like is the fact that right after i took the accutane, i would break out heavily for about a week until they all cleared up.

Old 08-25-2003, 03:14 AM   #4
    ShivaShakti

ShivaShakti HB User
    I've never heard of this, and I think your pharmacist might have been over-reacting. Minocycline and Accutane are two *VERY* popular treatments for acne. Were there any major problems associated with taking both at once, there would be plenty of information on it. Your dermotologist would also have mentioned it. In my years of researching acne and Accutane, I have not once heard of this. I also went straight from Minocycline to Accutane and had no problems.

Namaste!

Old 08-25-2003, 08:15 AM   #5
    Tummy

Tummy HB User
    This shouldnt be a problem. Minocycline is not just described for acne. Its just a medicince that has been proven to work for acne in some patients. If you couldnt take Minocycline while on Accutane, then you couldnt take any other antibiotic. What would you do when you got sick? Some physicians say when you get sick, you need to stop accutane and take the other medicine until you are better, but regardless both medicines are in your body either way. Dont know that its safe to have prolonged exposure to both,but I'm pretty sure its not going to kill anyone.

Closed Thread