It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• My Stapedectomy report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2007, 04:52 AM   #211
    Monicas667
    (female)

Monicas667 HB User
    Re: My Stapedectomy report

Kat - I wasn't prescribed ear drops after surgery until two weeks later and only to loosen up the packing/dried blood so the doctor could clean it out. If it wasn't so hard against the drum, I wouldn't have had drops either. I don't think it's the norm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #212
    Deftone
    (male)

Deftone HB User

7th day post-op. Got out of the house yesterday to feed a freinds dog and pick someone up from the airport. Wow, did i get dizzy! Probably wan't a good idea, but i managed. I go see the doctor tomorrow. Everything seems to be going as planned. This site really puts the worrying to rest.

Thanks all, Tony

Old 05-22-2007, 04:29 AM   #213
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi All,

5 Days post-op.

There is no pain to speak of. I only have the dizzies if I look up quickly or flop over in bed fast. My ear is still draining a little bit.

Had my first shower yesterday instead of a bath - boy was that interesting. I forgot how much fun it is to try to wash your hair with one hand (cause the other is holding the cup over the ear).

As far as the hearing....

Yesterday my ear was making "gurgling or bubbling" sounds for a while. Then I had the "heart beat/pulse" sound for a bit. Late afternoon some conversation started getting through. It was very light, but was getting through. I was a weee bit excited.

I, of course, then did the cover one ear and listen...cover the other ear, etc. With the TV on 19, I could hear bits and pieces of words in the operated ear. So....I guess the swelling is doing down a little.

I hope everyone is doing well.

More Later,

-Carol-

Old 05-22-2007, 03:04 PM   #214
    Deftone
    (male)

Deftone HB User
    Thumbs up Re: My Stapedectomy report

Hi everyone! it's one week after my surgery and just had my return doctor's visit. Dr. Fucci removed packing and cleaned ear. Now i can hear unbelievably well! Everything is multiplied in stereo! Had to get home as quick as possible to get to a quiet place. Wow the small things that i could here again. Wind, birds, music background. I'm in total shock. really just wearing me out. had to share this with y'all. Anybody in Arizona that needs this surgery should look up Dr. Fucci. Gilbert Az

I'll keep you all updated. Hope everyone's doing fine.

Tony

Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 AM   #215
    Monicas667
    (female)

Monicas667 HB User

That's great news Tony!

Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #216
    Bran80
    (female)

Bran80 HB User

Okay, so Day 15 has come and gone. The reverb is finally subsided. I went to Mount Rushmore over the weekend (it was a long weekend in Canada to celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday, really). I did not have any trouble with the elevation changes. My husband made a comment that my ear must be driving me mad because his were and I guess because it was the same sensation I had had for two weeks, I didn't even notice.

My feeling in my tongue is back and I had my first appt with the Dr. He said that some doctors cut the nerve that leads to the metallic taste or numbness and when they do that it takes up to six months to recover! I thanked him for not cutting it completely because I really dont want my chips to taste creamy and that is what the effect of the numbess was for me.

Anyway, most of the packing is disolved and there is still a bit of old blood in there. I started back at work yesterday, and despite having a great bunch of students who all wanted to know about my surgery (it was all biology classes) I was exhausted by the end. But it might have been the driving 45 min each way more than the students. I had three business classes this morning and was thakning God that I only had a half day of subbing today, because they were horrible and I had to send a student to the office for the first time (I sub at this school often). I slept from 2 until 4 after that.

I am happy that life is now back to normal. I pick up my neices and nephew and drive everywhere. I am teaching tomorrow afternoon (these kids are CRAZY though) and all day Monday, so I am really back into the swing. I start my job (again) at Payless on Monday so we will see how exhausted I am then.

The weird thing is, all my doctor prescribed to me after the surgery was pain meds. There were no antibiotics or drops. Huh?

Carol - you know better than the rest of us that things are going to get better. It was because of you that all of my "problems" after the surgery were seen as just par for the course. I had a really bad day on day three, so I understand, but really that was it. You will get through this and just remember how well you hear out of your other ear now. In a few months that will be your newly operated ear and your hearing will be almost perfect. Rest lots and take care of yourself.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #217
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

Bran & Tony - I'm so glad to hear things are going well for both of you.

Its day 7 now.

Yesterday was good. No dizzy, no pain and sounds were coming through
    (mostly just low tones though) no gurgling or heart beat/pulse sounds.

I felt great. I went to my softball game to watch my team and ended up playing ball because some people didn't show up. I did ok. I hit well and ran without any problem. While playing the field I warned my team that if the ball was Hi up in the air..I couldn't/wouldn't even look up for it. I would let it fall, then retrieve it. Looking up fast is still my problem. Major dizzies if I do that. Anyway, it felt good to play.

Today I went to my daughters award ceremony at school.

BAD BAD BAD IDEA.

It was in the gym, the band was playing, thousands of people talking - I lasted like 5 minutes before I had a panic attack. I really didn't expect that to happen but was soooo loud in there everything just echoed. My head felt like it was gonna explode. I sat in the car almost an hour trying to calm down and waiting for the pounding to stop before I could drive.

I finally got home and took some pain killers to relieve the headache. It didn't help much. Its now 10 hours later and it's still pounding but not near as bad.

My oldest daughter graduates tomorrow night. Big places with lots of people/noise/conversation - I dunno We'll see how it goes.

My ear hasn't done the "open/close" thing yet. Its just been closed.

Thanks for the encouragement guys/gals. I was really bummed for about 4 days. I went back and read everything from Andy's first post till now to help remind me of all the bumps I would go through. (It's kind of odd that I forgot about a few of them since I was the one that posted certain bumps for the first time). That helped a lot because it made me realize I was almost the only person that could hear immediately after surgery. Most people had to wait a week or so before they started hearing. I WAS JUST SPOILED.

The recovery this time is more in line with what others experience.

More later,

-Carol-

Old 05-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #218
    Bran80
    (female)

Bran80 HB User

So it is now three weeks since my surgery. I have been back substitute teaching for a week and the last few days the dizziness is back when I belch or yawn, and there has also been some pain. I can't take the T3s though because it takes me forty five minutes of highway driving to get to and from the school I have been at.

Anyway, I am a little discouraged because of that, and also because I am still not hearing as well as I would have expected. If someone is speaking on my right side it is loud, but sounds still get muddled up if there are background noises and I am still asking people to repeat themselves. I hope this improves soon. Feeling really down about it.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 AM   #219
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

Today is day 14.

Back on day 7, my ear opened up right after I posted. Since then, it's been crazy.

It opened most of the time now. I can hear good, but it's still a little distorted. I am now noticing some taste issues but it's not bad and the left side hadn't ever stopped with the metallic taste, so now the right side of my mouth matches.

I have had no dizziness since day 4. I have been back at work for 3 days and have had no problems at all.

Here's the things I've heard that I never knew about.

Birds - Did you know different birds make different sounds? I have heard up to 4 different kinds of birds at once making different sounds. It was odd at first, now it's really cool.

Footsteps - did you know you can hear your own footsteps? I was walking through the kitchen on day 7 and I thought there was someone behind me. It really scared me because I knew I was home alone with the doors locked. Turned out, it was MY FOOTSTEPS. Of course, then I kept walking back and forth, giggling that I could hear em. Was too funny.

Refrigerator - It hums!! I opened it up and stood there trying to figure out where the hum was coming from, then I realized it was the motor. That was really wierd.

I have heard lots and lots of new things but these were the memoriable moments this last week.

Oh - and I can hear my BF whisper in my ear

BTW I did go to my childs graduation on Day 8 (the day after the panic attack). I talked the security people into letting me in the VIP room (glassed in room so I could see but not hear all the echoing).

I went to the doc yesterday (day 13) and he took the packing out, did the tuning fork thingy and said.."YUP, it worked." He cleared me to sneeze, blow my nose and get water in the ears. YAAAAY Last time it was week 7 before I got to do those things. I go back on August 15th for my first hearing test on the right ear and my 2nd test on the left ear.

Bran, the same thing happened to me when I had the first ear done. At about 3 weeks, I started having some pain and the hearing kinda slipped backwards. It was that way for about a week, then the pain went away and the hearing stabilized. REMEMBER...........3-6 MONTHS for everything to stabilize.

Hang in there! .....BUMP.........BUMP.........

TONY - WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I'm very very happy for you. Now your brain will just have to learn what sounds to keep and which ones to throw away. (Your own footsteps, the hum of the fridge, etc....hehe). It will be a little overwhelming at first but it does get better. Watch those really loud echoy places for another week or two. All those little sounds will sneak up on you, build in your head and well.....I've had a couple of panic attack from it. It's like every sound in the world in closing in on you. The good thing is - you hear EVERYTHING.

More later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 05-31-2007 at 07:40 AM.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #220
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

Today is day 20 post-op.

My hearing is not distorted anymore. (The blown speaker effect is gone).

I can hear the TV on volume 4 (and sometimes it's too loud).
    I can hear the car stereo on volume 1 if I'm sitting still. With the road noise, it has to be on 3 (better than 15).

So, YAAAAAY! I can hear all sorts of stuff now pretty clearly.

Metallic taste is still there but I'm used to it and it's not annoying.

Still no pain, no dizzies since day 4.

Where is everyone else? Why are you not posting? We need updates, I'm curious and I know everyone else is as to how you guys/gals are doing.

More later

-Carol-

Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #221
    ds_kumaran
    (male)

ds_kumaran HB User

I have been reading this forum for the past several weeks.After seeing the encouragement people have been posting , I have decided to go in for a surgery next month. I would keep this forum updated about the progress.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #222
    shirleyb123
    (female)

shirleyb123 HB User

I had my right ear "fixed" about 15 years ago. At that time the prosthesis used was of a ferrous material which means I cannot have an MRI. As is normally the case, the worst ear was the first in line for surgery. I was evaluated two years later for the same surgery on the left ear. My ENT said I had too much neurosensory loss in what HAD been my "good ear" to warrant the surgery. I have been funtional w/o hearing aids since, but functioning below normal and with volume up to an uncomfortable level for my family. As I approached 65 I decided it was time to be reevaluated. I had the left ear operated on May 30. I had my first post-op visit today. The surgery was "successful" and the healing is progressing nicely. That said, I cannot and do not expect the same level of hearing as in the right ear. Also, I had to have the ear canal "siphoned" gently to remove some "ichy" stuff that had accumulated. Mildly worried about infection, the doctor ordered ear drops to be used twice daily and an oral antibiotic. There are risks in having the surgery. Weigh them carefully. I not only had it done, I had it done twice....years apart. The methods used today are different. The new prosthesis is of non-ferrous metal. I had three small stitches to close a small incision above my ear this time. No incision last time. Taste is messed up but I can still identify the foods that I am eating. Imagine how your tongue feels after eating very cold ice cream. That is kind of what it is like. In addition, my mouth is dry. I had a bit of light headedness yesterday but not enough to make me nauseated. I have only vomited twice, the first day and the second day. The most difficult part of recovery is just taking it easy. I want to work in my garden, pick up my grandkids, etc. I don't mind that the vacuum cleaner is too heavy for me to pick up!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #223
    Bran80
    (female)

Bran80 HB User

Okay, so I am involved in a great event this weekend, called the Weekend to End Breast Cancer, in which thousands of people walk for two days to raise money for Cancer Care Manitoba. Anyway, since I will be there on Saturday, which would be my one month aniversary, I will post tonight.

All of the distortion is now gone completely, even when the brats are being brats at the school I am subbing at. Mostly, they are really good. I still find that there is the odd pain, but not as intense. I am still really discouraged that I am not hearing better, and it is just one thing in a list of things that I am finding discouraging in life in general right now, so last night I was bawling about my ear. I guess my expectations were just too high.

I still have bits of dizziness still at odd times when I belch or yawn, but it is no longer constant. I can't remember if I posted that the numbness in my tongue is gone, but it is. And the opening/closing of my ear is still happening, with it being closed most of the time. I keep tilting my head to that side because it almost is the same feeling as when you get lots of water in your ear, and tilting your head relieves it. My husband thinks I am crazy.

I guess the big thing I am feeling right now is that I am not "better" yet. And the logical part of me says to give it time, that there is still a lot of time for healing and hearing, but the impatient part of me wants to hear everything RIGHT NOW!

Anyway, I am going to go finish my decorations for the car I will be using to pick up injured walkers this weekend. I am glad that most of you are having such a good go with your surgeries.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #224
    careh
    (male)

careh HB User

Hi Cab1 - In a previous post you mentioned you work in a computer room & that it was quite noisy.

Have they done tests of the decibel level in that computer room?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #225
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

Everything is still going great! I'm getting used to the new sounds and my brain has learned some of what sounds to "throw away". It's getting better daily.

No Careh, we haven't had the noise level measured. There are two high speed production printers in there that are the loudest and then probably 100 or more other pieces of equipment, all of which have fans in them running. We don't spend much time in there because we have offices and can remote into every piece of equipment. We only go in when we need but the noise all those fans make is quite loud. Add to that the "blown speaker" effect for the first 3 or 4 weeks after surgery and it's just annoying.

More later,

-Carol-

Closed Thread