It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Help I am confused about Tramadol ultram

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #16
    mozn
    Inactive
    (male)

mozn HB User
    Re: Help I am confused about Tramadol ultram

p.s. personally anti inflammatories, even toradol, don't work for me. i figure this is probably b/c i am so used to real pain medicine. so they might not work for you either, but go ahead and try it. you know, my mom gets tired from taking 2 advil but then again, she was never on heavy opiates for any length of time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #17
    mozn
    Inactive
    (male)

mozn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mojorzn View Post
    p.s. personally anti inflammatories, even toradol, don't work for me. i figure this is probably b/c i am so used to real pain medicine. so they might not work for you either, but go ahead and try it. you know, my mom gets tired from taking 2 advil but then again, she was never on heavy opiates for any length of time
    sorry raccoon, yeah, you probably want to hold off until finals are over

Old 05-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #18
    Fancyface102
    (female)

Fancyface102 HB User

Redhead

I was just reading your posts. I'm so sorry , I know what you are going through..or were" so are you back on the Tram now ? If you have a lot of pain issues you're dealing with and you opt to use Rx meds , no matter what they are really...down the road you're going to feel SOME type of physical/mental withdrawal symptom(s) when you attempt to quit them or even taper them. I think you're at a point to where you need to outweigh the pros/cons in taking the pills for your pain/depression etc, over the long term effect it's going to have on you and determine for yourself if it's worth it to you. When I first started taking Trams 3 yrs ago, I thought great, no pain and when I get pain just pop one of these magical pills and it goes away, one turns into two and three and so on...."AT SOME POINT YOU WILL NEED MORE EACH DAY to keep moving. My body built up a tolerance to them that I basically maxed out, so then nothing was helping me! Except for I HAD to take the trams so I didn't have the WD symptoms and up to 14 a day at that! Some say addiction is different than dependancy , I think who cares "what term" you want to call it, it's all the same , your taking pills and you can't stop taking them or you get deathly ill ! Now what do you want to do about it ? If you want be on meds each day and they help you then so be it but if your condition isn't "better" in all spectrums , mind and body then what's the point? You're making yourself worse, adding new problems to the mix, and down the road IF you do stop taking them you will feel 20x the pain that you did before you ever went to see a Dr, and t's a long road back to recovery from there on. Trust me, I went to "hell" and back in only 3 days after I decided to quit Trams and I prayed to God every minute of every day to bring me out of it and he did, now it's all down hill. I will still have a back injury that will ail me from time to time , I'm sure, but it's worth it to me "as trade to have my life back."

My suggestion would be to weigh things out in your head as to what route you want to take and go from there and learn ( educate) yourself with as much information as possible so you know how to manage your pain effectively. The only one that's going to know what works best for you is "you." No Dr. out there can tell you otherwise, they can only try and prescribe safe formulas for you to take to help with your symptoms. I tried to wean off Trams about a year ago, I went to a totally NEW Dr. told him my situation and how I get the WD sickness yadi yah....what did he do? He prescribes me MORE Trams in my fill and say's I've upped the amount for you so that you don't run out before the Month is over and then you won't get sick." At the time I wasn't strong enough in my head to know what I wanted, I knew I wanted them little pills though because I have kids, I have work, I have a family I run here......there was no time to ponder over it at that time, I wished I had just walked out that day and now I would be on my path further than what I am now. Short lived though, I finally caught on to the fact that I AM in CONTROL here, not the DR. I choose to go see, he's doing his job per say?" who knows.........

When I was in WD pains ( sicker than a dog) I would be up at night in severe agony sometimes wondering how I'm going to make it between my next refill ) and I would think to myself "You know, I highly doubt these Dr's perscribing Tram and Hydro , Oxy etc; to their patients are laying up in their bed at night wondering if they're sleeping well at night." Nope,. they're not.

So take control of the situation for yourself honey! Reach for a higher power to help you , that's the only way I have made it through to today. Going on 3 weeks tram free now and I feel so much better !! You can do it too but you got to want it.

If you choose to go off , ask for a low dosage of Zoloft and start it about a week prior to your detox from Tram , it will help your mental state of mind, or ST. Johns Wort is over the counter and it will help the same but ONLY take it if your not on any other anti depressents meds.) Don't go off the meds unless you know in your head strongly that you're ready or else you may not succeed but even so don't let that discourage you , pick yourself up and try again!

You'll make it.......!

Always here for support ( I should have chosen The Crazy Rambler as my user name , geeeeeeeeeez....sorry for those who might of dozed zzzzzzzz ;-)
    Good Luck Fancy R.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
    Tyme4Changes
    (female)

Tyme4Changes HB User
    Smile Re: Help I am confused about Tramadol ultram

I'm new to this forum and have been reading all the various posts about quitting Tramadol & Vicodin, etc. I've had migraines for a few years & some arthritis...got started on Tramadol and occasionally was given Vicodin. I hoarded those things like they were the family jewels, because I was always afraid that eventually my doctors would wise up & discontinue them. Nope. So, anyway, the past 6-8 months its crossed my mind that I was getting more dependent on them because I had to have one in order to go to work. and once at work, I was not doing so good. Having trouble focusing, being highly irrational about something that was nothing, etc. I started seeing a "shrink" about inability to focus because I really felt like that was causing problems on my job. He switched my antidepressants that I've been on for several years to Wellbutrin and that helped greatly. It does help me focus better and I'm happier taking it. But I've been to suspect that taking Tramadol was going to increase, from 1 pill a day to 3 or so. 1 in the morning, 1 at lunch, 1 at dinner, etc. My life is highly stressful anyway, being a single mom, so I rationalized that I needed 3. Homelife was rocky too, I wasn't "there" as mentally well as I should be, over react to everything, etc. Well, I had shoulder surgery about a month ago and have not taken any of my supply of Tramadol & Vicodin since then. I had a rough few days but I attributed that to the anesthesia (and it might have been). Highly emotional & irritable & probably downright crazy, but I survived the worst part. I still get unusually weepy but that could also be from the ups/downs of the surgery and the new pain meds that they gave me. I think that I legitimately needed those for the first couple of weeks, but I don't think I really do now. Nor do I feel the urge to take a Tramadol or Vicodin, but I was given Percocet after this surgery & have used that off/on since then. I haven't been taking very many of those, most recently only like 2 a day, and they make me itch like crazy so last night, after a sleepless night of itching, I flushed them down the toilet. Good riddance. I've been debating whether to get rid of my remaining Tramadol & Vicodin, but just couldn't quite bring myself to it. Last night, with insomnia, I found this board, and I think that I really don't want to go back to square one and get started on Tramadol again. I've obviously survived w/o them for several weeks, so my body surely must be de-toxed from them now (?). This is kinda a huge step for me, becuase I've been (even in a small way) emotionally and physically dependent on these little pills for a long time now. I haven't done this yet (flushed them) but I'm really going to try to do it today and just remove that from my temptation. I've got a dull headache today but I don't really think it can be from withdrawal (I could be wrong) but I'm going to try taking Advil and see if that helps. I had stomach surgery about 5 years ago and am not supposed to take NSAIDs ...but frankly of the two evils, I think I'd rather go with an upset stomach than being addicted to these pain pills, even if I were addicted in a small way.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #20
    Fancyface102
    (female)

Fancyface102 HB User

Tyme,
    good choice is to flush them little babies right down the toliet. If you choose to play the dip n dab game, they'll snatch your soul up quick and then it will be even harder , almost "seemingly" impossible.
    So do it now and don't look back!

FF

Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #21
    Tyme4Changes
    (female)

Tyme4Changes HB User
    Smile Re: Help I am confused about Tramadol ultram

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fancyface102 View Post
    Tyme,
    good choice is to flush them little babies right down the toliet. If you choose to play the dip n dab game, they'll snatch your soul up quick and then it will be even harder , almost "seemingly" impossible.
    So do it now and don't look back!

FF
    ...well, right or wrong, I did get rid of them. I gave them to a friend of mine to keep for a little while. She is not convenient to get ahold of and she lives on the other side of town....given that I can't drive, I'm sure not going to hop on a bus to go over there to get one. I asked her to keep them for me and if I don't miss them (and I don't *think* that I will) then she can flush them in one week. That was the best that I could do for now ....still a little leery about just getting rid of them. I am going to call my doctor and ask him to put a note in my file that I was concerned that I was getting addicted, so that I won't be tempted to call & get him to refill it (which he would most certainly do w/o this type of note!). I think this is a move in the right direction, I hope it is. I feel a little woozy when I stand up suddenly, but I have been taking Percocet, in small doses, this past week, so I'm sure that there's still some opiate stuff left in my system.

and thanks for your advice -- it did help me boost them along their way, even if I didn't destroy them myself. I trust my friend completely to do this (and who knows, given how she feels about these, she may go ahead & flush them as soon as she gets home -- hmmm thinking about that, I guess I'm okay with that). But are there any remedies to help flush this remaining stuff out of your system better?

Old 06-01-2007, 08:05 AM   #22
    Fancyface102
    (female)

Fancyface102 HB User

Well either way I think you did the best thing...the smart thing and about calling to have them leave a note." You are putting road blocks in the way of your ability to self destruct. As far as getting all the opiates etc; out of your system, I think all you can do is stay off them, I have been drinking tons of gatorade to flush out my system, vitamins also and here and there I'll drink a red bull. They seem to help me keep my energy level up " a little."

Today i'm feeling sickly ( still) it's hard on you physically and mentally, SO Hard! But I keep going, it took me over a year to get out of control with those things so It's not going to happen over night obviously. These are the times are strength is tested to an extreme ...I believe. You have made the right choice for yourself, out of site out of mind.

Just hold on

Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #23
    Tyme4Changes
    (female)

Tyme4Changes HB User

Yes, I'm vowing that this is the end of taking anything & I don't think I'll have any problems as long as the temptations aren't available to me .....but I sure felt like crap last night, got to sleep okay but work up (again) around 2:00 in the morning and couldn't sleep for a couple of hours. I do need to go get some vitamin & mineral supplements, lots of liquids & Omega 3 ... bunch of other stuff that the Sample Detox Plan suggested. Since I was primarily on Tramadol & Vicodin for the majority of the time that I've been taking pain meds, I don't know if I'm having withdrawal effects from that or from the Percocet that I've recently been on - ? I stopped taking Tramadol & Vicodin completely around the first part of May. Only used Percocet for the few weeks after surgery & then decided those had to go too. So I'm assuming this is Percocet w/d??? Not that I guess it makes much difference, whatever it is, I'm going thru it and I hate how I feel. Mentally, I've very determiend and not the least bit unsure about that (my friend, another one, has been telling me that I should NEVER have flushed them) but she's also taking everything under teh sun, for first condition, then something else to offset that,e tc. I'd just like to be clear-headed for once and not wonder if its the medicine causing me to make the goofy decisions that I make, etc.

thank you again for the reassurance - I'm going to need it.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #24
    Tyme4Changes
    (female)

Tyme4Changes HB User

Fancy ....when was the last time that you have taken something? just curious

Old 06-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #25
    Fancyface102
    (female)

Fancyface102 HB User

13 days or so ......and I'm still vedged out on the couch unable to function most of the day. It's sad really...

Old 06-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #26
    Fancyface102
    (female)

Fancyface102 HB User

Tyme
    How is it going today?, keep us all posted. I am here for ya....getting off "Tram" has been completely ugly for me, I am weak today but I still know in my heart and my mind that I'm STILL not going back to them things. Defin get some vitamins and lots of gatorade or something a long that line. I can't sleep at night either , I'm up all night tossing and turning, WIDE awake. It's nuts...lastnight I took some Nyquil and that seemed to help a bit.
    Good Luck with this, you can do thiss, just keep strong thoughts

Old 06-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #27
    Tyme4Changes
    (female)

Tyme4Changes HB User

last night was not so bad (considering the daytime hours were awful) ...and my emotional mood might have been worsened because my physical condition was pretty exhausted. I know that I'm doing far too much than what I should be doing right now, just having surgery recently. So I pushed too hard and ended up miserable physically & emotionally. but I took my first doses of the multi-vit/multi-min & Omega 3, etc. + bought lots of good juices (kind that have vegetables mixed in where you can't taste them). I detest all vegetables, unless it might be something like tomato sauce on pizza, or mashed potatoes, etc. I will never eat a salad or greens, no way, no how. I think it was childhood trauma from growing up on a farm. Anyway, I drank a whole glass of that stuff TWICE, which amazed me. I also got some green tea drink and while thats not the greatest tasting stuff (I love iced tea regular), well, its not that but its okay. So I slept pretty good last night.

watching my grandchild today, and that keeps me busy & happy. I'm probably not physically uptopar with watching him either, but gramma had to step in on an emergency basis. keeping my mind busy has helped, I haven't had time to dwell on how I felt, so I'm taking that as a positive side. I don't think I've broken down once today and cried over something minor . that had been happening almost once a day, putting more time & time in betweent the crying jags, so I hope thats positive too.

i'm supremely glad that I put some distance between me & Tramadol & vicodin via this surgery. Taking those Percocet set me back too, but it was easy to give those up because the itching was maddening, no matter how good they made you feel, it was too short-lived. So I don't know how to count how long I've been completely un-recreationally drugged. 4 weeks for the tramadol/vicodin and only 3-4 days for the percocet. oh well ...

Old 06-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #28
    Tyme4Changes
    (female)

Tyme4Changes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fancyface102 View Post
    Tyme
    How is it going today?, keep us all posted. I am here for ya....getting off "Tram" has been completely ugly for me, I am weak today but I still know in my heart and my mind that I'm STILL not going back to them things. Defin get some vitamins and lots of gatorade or something a long that line. I can't sleep at night either , I'm up all night tossing and turning, WIDE awake. It's nuts...lastnight I took some Nyquil and that seemed to help a bit.
    Good Luck with this, you can do thiss, just keep strong thoughts

Fancy: I will tell you this, to see if it can help you sleep. Walmart has these two GREAT CDs (in the candle section) and both are called just Spa (one is pink & one is blue). I've only bought the pink one so far, but it can put me right ot sleep very easily. I don't like annoying sounds with chirpy birds or oceans with a seagull suddenly screeching or thunderstorms (because they don't sound real) but this music is very, very soothing. I definitely want to go back & get the blue one, but everytime I've tried, its been gone. Someday I will make it there before they're all soldout. I'd recommend you get that & see how relaxing it helps you feel.

And, before I got some, I never put much stock into "aromatherapy" but THAT does help too. If you can find some pure essential lavender oil (I got mine from ****), then just touch a dab of it somewhere in your room. I don't like heavy smells so I didn't put it on my pillowcases or sheets, etc. but it does really, really help a person relax too. Or take a bath & put a few drops in yoru bath water. Even ifyou don't like lavender smell that much, this is very relaxing stuff. Just a thought -- I hope the night time gets better for all of us soon!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #29
    Fancyface102
    (female)

Fancyface102 HB User

Tyme

Thank you , I will check into that. I'm a walmart regular so I'm sure I've seen the CD's and just never paid any attention. Today is about as bad as yesterday for me if not worse, my legs are aching so bad omg ( #$%
    but I'm here plugg'n away saying to myself " this too shall pass"

Hey one thing I did though and it seems to help, I bought a big bag of epson salt and I took a hot bath in it and soaked and for like an hour or so afterward, my legs were feeling better. The aches come back of course but I think it would be something to do before bed to help also.

Ideas Ideas :: hmmm
    Thanks again

Last edited by Fancyface102; 06-02-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread