It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

• Husbands Strange Symptoms/ALS?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
    Tulip15
    (female)

Tulip15 HB User
    Husbands Strange Symptoms/ALS?

Hi, my husband has been experiencing strange symptoms for awhile now. The muscles in his upper thighs feel tired, especially after he is sitting awhile, driving, sitting at work, having dinner, when he gets up he says his legs feel not right, like they won't work right, but once he's up and walking it goes away. His fingers started swelling so the doctor put him on celebrex, that seems to be helping, but still wakes up in the morning will swollen hands. He is a tennis player, and says that when he is on the courts he says his legs just don't feel right, tired, sluggish etc.....
    He did have an EMG of his hands because his primary doc. thought carpal tunnel, the EMG person said that he has the beginnings of carpal tunnel, but they think too that he has something else going on and that it could be neck or brain related.
    I'm so concerned especially given the fact of the issue with his legs, is this a sign of ALS?.

We are thinking that his problems were related to requip that he was on that caused him severe side effects, after being off the drug for several weeks now, his symptoms are starting to go away, thanks all for the information, I was so worried, and didn't know what to think.

Last edited by Tulip15; 06-11-2007 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Husband Doing Better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
    marky1956
    (male)

marky1956 HB User
    Re: Husbands Strange Symptoms/ALS?

Back when I went thru an ALS scare several years ago, I did an awful lot of reading & research, and came to the understanding that ALS begins in "1" limb, usually in a foot or a hand. Dropping things or dragging a foot or tripping are early signs. Bulbar onset presents in the tongue, throat, or breathing. Not to say that your hubby may not be experiencing some other neurological disorder, but I'd say "NO" to ALS if he's complaining about 'legs' not feeling right.

By no means am I an expert, but just another Joe that experienced muscle twitching & fatigue, then went to the internet and ******d these symptoms, only to be scared half to death when ALS came up on the search.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
    Re: Husbands Strange Symptoms/ALS?

Tulip.....Is your husband on any kind of statin drug for high cholesterol? The symptoms you describe are side effects of statin drugs for some people. If so he needs to let his doctor know ASAP.

Closed Thread