It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Can't lower my cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
    codyc
    (male)

codyc HB User
    Question Can't lower my cholesterol

I am a 55 year old male. My cholesterol numbers have been fairly constant at around 220 to 240 total, 170-175 LDL and 43-45 HDL. No other risk indicators. My triglycerides are low. I have low blood pressure. I don't eat high cholesterol foods and work out 4 days a week. I don't smoke or drink. Other than the cholesterol my doctor indicates that I am in very good health for a man my age.

I have tried many different approaches over the past 10 years and nothing affects my levels.

Some of the approaches have included:
    Very strict eating protocols
    Phytosterols
    Flush Free Nicacin
    Plant Sterol Complex
    Pantethine
    Fish Oil (still taking daily)
    Gugulipids
    Chelation

I even tried Lipitor for a while and my cholesterol increased 40 points.

I no longer use statins due to some adverse side effects. I also tried welchol, but I didn't like the side effects.

Nothing has worked and I am open to any recommendation from anyone that has seen a similar situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
    Re: Can't lower my cholesterol

When you say, very strict eating protocals, I don't know if you have tried Dr. Dean Ornishe's plan? It is extremely strict, almost like a "vegan" diet. Many find it hard to adapt to, but most see good results.

Also, you don't mention your weight to height. I assume you are within an ideal body wt range and BMI. however, if you are overwt, wt loss will almost certainly lower your chol.

Re meds, there are still others you might try, such as the older drug, cholestyramine (a powder that requires mixing with something such as juice).
    I believe another med (non-statin) is lopid. I would guess, you would like to lower chol without more meds, but might want to ask your doc. for other nonstatin options.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Well Cody, you seem to have run-out of the non-drug options, except perhaps for the Ornish Diet (vegan and excrutiatingly stringent for most people.)

Quote:
    I even tried Lipitor for a while and my cholesterol increased 40 points.
    I MUST say that I have been researching Lipitor for the 8 years I've been on it, but this is the first time I've ever heard of it causing a large cholesterol INCREASE?

I see only two options, assuming the diet is out of the question:
    1. give statins another try and live with the side effects if they aren't awful,
    2. ignore your cholesterol levels...they are not good (Ratio TC/HDL of 5ish) but they aren't horrible either.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-03-2007 at 07:13 AM.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

You need to try prescription Niaspan. Like you, I've tried just about everything, including 3 different statins. My cholesterol is in the normal range for the first time in 15 years.

Niaspan has worked better then any statin I have tried, and it's really a natural medication since it's only vitamin B-3. I have had no adverse side effects. Other report flushing that they can't tollerate, but any flushing I have had is way better than how the statins made me feel.

I am currently taking 3,000 mg a day at bed time. You start out on 500 mg for a month and then up the amount by 500 mg every 4 weeks until you are taking 2000 mg a day. I'm taking 3000 mg because my cholesterol has always been stubborn, and I don't have any issues or side effects from Niaspan. 2000 mg is the normal max dose, but the Doctor can prescribe up to 3000 if needed.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
    codyc
    (male)

codyc HB User

I appreciate the replies. I tried something very similar to the Ornish diet previously for 6 months. It help with other problems I was having, but didn't lower my cholesterol. I watch what I eat, but I am not sure that I want to go back on that strict of a diet again. It was a lot of work and not very pleasant.

I have not tried Niaspan, but did try nonflush Niacin. How is Niaspan different? I know that my doctor will prescribe it and it is possibly worth a try.

I just can't tolerate the muscle pain and weakness that comes with Statins.

I am going to have a Heart Scan in a couple weeks so we will see how that works out.

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
    were2alike
    (female)

were2alike HB User

hey how you doing may I ask have you tried eaten oatmeal for 30 days? it really works. once I had high cholesterol it was like 263 I ate oatmeal and turkey bacon and instead of margerine or butter I used benecol and when I went back to do a blood test for my cholesterol it was down to 230.I try to eat oatmeal all the time but its kinda hard because I work the nite shift an I dont want to fix oat meal I just want to shower and take my medication an go to sleep.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

cody,

I doubt that Niaspan will work any differently from the No-flush formulation you tried and it is very expensive in comparison.
    No harm in trying it though. A boost in your HDL will do you a world of good.

You CAN consider a regimen of 2 drinks a day, every day. It will boost your HDL and is proven to lower your risk of heart disease and MI. Latest research is that alcohol might change the size of both HDL and LDL for the better.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
    codyc
    (male)

codyc HB User

Lenin,

At least with the Alcohol approach I would feel better

Old 06-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Alcohol can be a funny thing. I know for myself, that alcohol dramatically raises by triglycerides, and hence, my total-C. And I know this will not be true for everyone. Candy and sugar seems to have the same effect on me.

Niaspin vs. Slo release niacin... I don't think they are the same. I am quite pleased with the Niaspan. And it's a natual solution too. Any niacin your body doesn't use gets pee'd out as it's a water soluble vitamin. You still need to have your liver checked due to the high doses you are taking. And Niaspan did lower my LDL. For the first time in 15 years, my LDL is in the normal range.

And you will never catch me taking another statin again... very nasty stuff. It's kind of funny that I was taking Baychol and decided to stop taking it on day due to the adverse side effects... and then two weeks later they recalled Baychol as it was killing folks... disolving their heart muscles. While this effect was exagerated for Baychol, I can't help but think the current statins on the market could have the same effect, long term.

Try the Niaspan... start out slow.

Closed Thread