It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• What are the real side effects of accutane?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
    pnt68
    (male)

pnt68 HB User
    Re: What are the real side effects of accutane?

I was on Roaccutane (im guessin its the same thing) for 4 months and it worked like a miracle for me and my face has remained clear for nearly 2 yrs. The only side affects i suffered were dry skin and nasal passages. It can have many side affects but after it cured by fairly severe acne after 9 years of suffering, pain and bullying, i cannot speak highly enough of it. Just gotta be sure you have deep pockets or good health insurance. I was with BUPA and did it all privately, they used to cover the cost of the treatment as they did for me but dont any longer and its not cheap. My 4 months worth would have cost us around £800.

Last edited by pnt68; 06-05-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 06:28 AM   #17
    falcone
    (male)

falcone HB User

I was on roaccutane (I tihnk its just the difference between US and UK names) for around 4 months to. This was about 3/4 years ago.

Surely there are no long term side affects are they?

I was told nothing about all this blood stuff

Can anyone enlighten me as to long term effects if any?

Old 06-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #18
    EddieDean
    Veteran
    (female)

EddieDean HB User

I'm 28 and have been on Accutane twice....once in early high school and again right before I graduated.

My biggest side effect was dry lips.....they gave me some special balm to try and it did absolutely nothing. No matter how much chapstick I put on, they were incredibly dry.

The other big issue that drove me crazy was that it dried my poop out. I know it's really gross, but it was soooo painful to take a dump. Honestly, I've had some stomach problems ever since and that was when things went sour....I don't really BLAME Accutane for this, but it does seem awfully ironic.

I haven't eaten red meat since the 5th grade and have always had incredibly low blood pressure and cholesterol. I had my cholesterol taken on Accutane and it was something like 350, which is unbelievably high. I had it taken back in college and it was back down to 170 after I went off the Accutane, but that's another thing to keep your eye on.

Honestly, with all these horrible side effects it really doesn't seem worth it. That being said, it completely cleared my skin up back then and gave me my self confidence back, so it sure felt worth it at the time! It's a personal choice.....I never had any hair loss or depression, FYI.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #19
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

My biggest side effect was really dry lips.. I had to use a prescription ointment, chapstick and the like did NOT help. My hair did dry out a little but I had not hair loss. It can cause problems with the liver so be sure your doctor is monitoring you. I had blood tests done once a month. My liver stayed normal, but my cholesterol shot through the roof (it came back down after I was off of it.. and unless you have other problems, this isn't really dangerous).
    As for giving blood.. you have to wait a certain time until after you are off of it to give blood. I believe it is 2 months. I have given blood multiple times through the Red Cross since I've been on accutane.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #20
    catie111
    (female)

catie111 HB User

Hi all - i've found all your posts really interesting - I've taken Roaccutane (or Accutane in the US I guess) twice - I was prescribed it on the NHS so I recommend you all (in the UK!) try and go through your doc first - i think they will (or used to) prescribe it for free if your acne is severe enough although I guess it depends on your doctor, where you live etc. The side effects I had were similar to all yours - really dry lips, nose, eyes - my friends called me 'The Fly' for about a year which was nice..ha ha. Anyway apart from that I didn't have any other side effects - check ups and blood tests all ok (although never tried to give blood at the time). Certainly no depression and apparently my liver is functionig fine (and i did drink before, throughout and since the treatment) Its been about 11 years since my last course and nothing long term has cropped up (must be a good sign?!). I would say that it totally changed my life and would definitely recommend it - I'm 29 now and my skin is far from perfect but having the odd zit compared to what it used to be like is fine with me! Good luck all.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #21
    ebird
    (female)

ebird HB User

I took accutane when I was 14. I thought they banned the stuff? Its hardcore and has way too many side effects.
    It worked but... it was a very troubling experience - especially when I was 14. I had totally dry lips, dry skin, aching joints, and some disturbing psychological issues. the accutane caused me to become depressed. and oddly, my hair completely changed texture. I don't know if that was the drug screwing with my hormones or if it was just the way my body was destined to change.

I took the accutane for almost 2 years and it cleared me up really well, and I dont think there have been any long-term side effects.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #22
    ctrl-alt-del
    (male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User

These were my side effects:
    - extreme low back pain
    - pain in joints; particularly in lower back, knees, and elbows
    - decreased night vision and increased visual disturbances at night time
    - mental confusion
    - depression
    - issues with ego and self-confidence
    - curled hair (I normally have straight hair, but the drug made my hair completely curly)
    - significant hair loss (which thankfully stopped shortly after ending the course of treatment)
    - and of course extremely dry lips, eyes, skin, etc.

I have gotten over MOST of the side effects by now (it's getting close to one year that I've stopped it now), but my dry lips still persist. I have to use chapstick 30 times a day. Not even kidding you. It's ridiculous, but I have faith that one day that will go away too.

I hope that was some good reference to someone!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #23
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

As for the blood giving question. My daughter took accutane and her blood gets accepted. She has been off of it for approx. two years.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #24
    xyzmarie
    (female)

xyzmarie HB User

I have taken Accutane 4 times.
    I do not have cystic acne, just very stubborn acne that doesn't clear up with anything else.
    The biggest side effect I had was really dry lips. Vaseline in the tube worked really well for me.
    I won't hesitate if I need it again. It totally gave me a very healthy self image, cuz my skin was SO CLEAR.
    I have been off of it almost 2 years (this time) and if I need to take it again, I will.
    My skin was blemish free for about a year after taking it. Simply amazing...
    Now I get a zit here and then but they go away fast.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #25
    Alex1110
    (male)

Alex1110 HB User

I took the stuff once and had no side affects at all, except for mildly dry lips, need for more water, and a couple of rashes. Im getting ance back again after 4 months off the drug.

One suggestion before you start taking it - start putting vaseline on you lips a couple of weeks before starting the perscription. I think this is why i didnt have so much problem with my lips.

Last edited by Alex1110; 06-18-2007 at 08:24 AM.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #26
    rk66j
    (female)

rk66j HB User

Be very careful with this drug. Make sure that the risks are worth what you will gain. My daughter was put on Accutane 9 years ago at the age of 14 and again at the age of 15. She did not have acne per se. She had sandpaper like skin on her forehead and got very sore pimples along her lip line that looked like small cold sores. The dermatologist put her on Accutane without telling us any of the risks (except the pregnancy part). I wish I had done research! My daughter began to have completely unexplained seizures by the age of 16 and severe stomach pains shortly thereafter resulting in scopes and an unnecessary gall bladder surgery as a last resort. She also suffered from frequent kidney infections. We never considered a connection to Accutane. She is now 23 and still suffering from all of the above. On advice from a doctor friend, we started researching Accutane about 2 years ago since that was the only medication she had taken other than antibiotics and Maalox. She is now part of a research group that is being evaluated for Accutane side effects. Although we still don't know if Accutane is the root of her problems, it seems to be quite a coincidence that this all started shortly after her last treatment with Accutane.
    On the bright side....she has absolutely beautiful skin!

Old 06-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #27
    jillr
    (female)

jillr HB User

Your daughter shouldnt've been prescribed accutane. Accutane is only for severe acne and should only be prescribed as a last resort.
    Also, for the others who have posted about all these side effects while you were on it, why didn't you tell your doctor? You have to see your doctor once a month to get your prescription. Didn't they ask you how you were doing on it? Mine went through all the questions about side effects(especially depression) every month.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #28
    rk66j
    (female)

rk66j HB User

I agree Jillr--my daughter should NEVER have been put on Accutane! Unfortunately at the time I had never heard of it and trusted the doctor that it was a safe and routine drug. I am NOT that trustworthy anymore! Live & learn!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #29
    unruhe
    (female)

unruhe HB User

Thank you everyone for the intelligent and useful responses.

I have read in other groups that starting lip balm and body/face moisturizer right away is beneficial, if not BEFORE you start taking accutane. It's all about staying ahead of the game. We'll see!

I am now very familiar with the side effects to look for. It not that I don't trust doctors, but I know my body better than anyone else. So if there are worrisome side effects I will certainly speak up.

The possible kidney side effects are unnerving, though.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #30
    xyzmarie
    (female)

xyzmarie HB User

Another thing to remember about Accutance is your skin is VERY sensitive.
    Do not do any facial waxing (eyebrows, lip) whatever when on Accutane.
    It will rip your skin off..
    Also, be very conscious of sun protection.
    As I said in a previous post, I have taken accutane 4 times and it worked wonders for me. After all the negative press about accutane I asked my derm about it and she said she had prescribed it to her two teenage kids because of her belief/confidence in the drug.
    My personal opinion is, use common sense, communicate with your doc.
    All drugs, not just Accutane, do not agree with all people.
    I had a very positive experience w/Accutane, but not everyone does.

Last edited by xyzmarie; 06-21-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Closed Thread