It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Ovarian cancer--should I be worried?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
    dannysmom
    (female)

dannysmom HB User
    Ovarian cancer--should I be worried?

I am a healthy 30 year old. But I have been having some symptoms that I need help with. For the past two months I have been very bloated but only during the last half of my cycle and worse at the end of the day. I am only bloated in the lower part of my abdomen. Also I have bleeding between my cycles but this has been going on for years now and I have been to the doc numerous times and each time they do different tests and say its nothing to worry about. The bleeding is will start a few days before ovulation and last about 5 or 6 days. I guess bleeding might be a little misleading. It's never heavy enough that I need to wear more than a liner. When I looked up bloating online of course they all say ovarian cancer. Do you ladies with any experience think that I should be pursuing this more?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
    Suzi Q
    (female)

Suzi Q HB User
    Re: Ovarian cancer--should I be worried?

well, I know that bloating is a symptom for ovarian cancer but I have ovarian cancer and I've never had bloating. But if you have a family member with breast cancer or ovarian cancer then that puts you at a higher risk. The Majority of people with ovarian cancer are older but then again I am only 25. So I guess if you feel you should pursue this more then it can't hurt. It is pretty hard to diagnose Ovarian cancer for sure with out surgery but you could ask your doctor to test you CA-125 levels in your blood. But even if it is higher than normal that still doesn't mean that you for sure have cancer.

Good luck

Old 05-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
    BerthaC
    (female)

BerthaC HB User

If you have any feelings that something isn't right call your doctor right away. I thought something was wrong & went to 3 different doctors, all telling me different things. I finally went to the ER for the 3rd time in a week & refused to leave before they did a ct scan & pow. I was told I had metastatic ovarian cancer. It ended up being stage 3c. Had I demanded 9 months before to have a ct scan I possibly may have been a lower stage. I don't mean to scare you BUT you know your body. You have every right to demand that something be done. Good luck, I'm sure its nothing but better to be safe than sorry.
    Bertha

Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
    ess8437
    (female)

ess8437 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BerthaC View Post
    If you have any feelings that something isn't right call your doctor right away. I thought something was wrong & went to 3 different doctors, all telling me different things. I finally went to the ER for the 3rd time in a week & refused to leave before they did a ct scan & pow. I was told I had metastatic ovarian cancer. It ended up being stage 3c. Had I demanded 9 months before to have a ct scan I possibly may have been a lower stage. I don't mean to scare you BUT you know your body. You have every right to demand that something be done. Good luck, I'm sure its nothing but better to be safe than sorry.
    Bertha
    Bertha,

Were you ever told ever told during one of your ultra sound exams, your pelvic wasn't "clear" and at any time were they unable to locate one of your ovaries? Because that is the case with me at his time. I am 52 years old in a lot of pain, nausea, pain in my thigh, lower back, hip. My cysts are large on both left and right. I fell something is serously wrong. We know our own bodies more than anyone else. The waiting is just so stressful. Anyway, I know I'm rambling, sorry. So did you have an unclear pelvis, and if so, what does that mean?

ESS

Old 06-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
    MichelleNTX
    (female)

MichelleNTX HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannysmom View Post
    I am a healthy 30 year old. But I have been having some symptoms that I need help with. For the past two months I have been very bloated but only during the last half of my cycle and worse at the end of the day. I am only bloated in the lower part of my abdomen. Also I have bleeding between my cycles but this has been going on for years now and I have been to the doc numerous times and each time they do different tests and say its nothing to worry about. The bleeding is will start a few days before ovulation and last about 5 or 6 days. I guess bleeding might be a little misleading. It's never heavy enough that I need to wear more than a liner. When I looked up bloating online of course they all say ovarian cancer. Do you ladies with any experience think that I should be pursuing this more?

I had the same symptoms, and after several tests -- it was nothing more than a cyst on my ovary. Cysts can cause many of those symptoms, and is a more probable cause of yours than ovarian cancer. If you feel your doctor isn't doing his duty to diagnose you properly (and inform you of your diagnosis) -- get another doctor. Better to err on the side of caution.

[url]http://www.4woman.gov/faq/ovarian_cysts.htm[/url]

Old 06-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
    ess8437
    (female)

ess8437 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MichelleNTX View Post
    I had the same symptoms, and after several tests -- it was nothing more than a cyst on my ovary. Cysts can cause many of those symptoms, and is a more probable cause of yours than ovarian cancer. If you feel your doctor isn't doing his duty to diagnose you properly (and inform you of your diagnosis) -- get another doctor. Better to err on the side of caution.

[url]http://www.4woman.gov/faq/ovarian_cysts.htm[/url]
    Bertha,

Thank you! for such a quick response. I'm looking into another doctor. Maybe it's just the "cysts" causing all the discomfort and nothing more, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've been living with the pain for three months now and the cysts (LT4.2 centimeter and RT 3.4 centimeters)for a bit longer. With my age It does cause me to be concerned. If the pain continues before my Woman Welliness visit June 28th I'll call and see if I can get in sooner. Once again,

Thank You,
    ESS

Old 06-29-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
    allison666
    (female)

allison666 HB User

Get your doc to do a CA125 blood test, This is a quick simple indicator of any ovarian cancer

Last edited by allison666; 06-29-2007 at 06:08 AM. Reason: not enough info

Closed Thread