It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• buzzing after exercise.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
    3love
    Veteran
    (female)

3love HB User
    Question buzzing after exercise.....

Hi- I was wondering if any of you have buzzing/electric like feeling in your feet after you exercise? I find that whenever I go on the bike for more than 30 min, as soon as I get off, my feet start to buzz and as if electric is being zapped through my feet. It dosen't last that long, no more than 5 minutes or so. I'm fine after I walk it off.

Anyone?

Julia, (still trying to hang in there)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
    mnewhall
    (female)

mnewhall HB User
    Re: buzzing after exercise.....

julia

one of my many first sx's was buzzing, vibrating, or tingling in my legs and feet after exercising. i am currently undx'd at this point, but doc is 95% sure its MS, but we are waiting to do another brain MRI in Nov as all my MRIs have been clear as well as my LP and he has ruled out all other things through bloodwork. i am usually very weak and fatigued after exercising as well as shakey.

just wanted to let you know you are not alone and you will probably find alot of people on here who experience this too.

are you dx'd with MS or are you in the "waiting game"?

take care and keep on hanging in there

blessings,
    michelle

Old 06-12-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
    3love
    Veteran
    (female)

3love HB User

Michelle- still in the waiting game Just curious, why does your neuro think that it's 95% chance that you have ms, given that all your tests have come up negative? I find it interesting that your neruo can actually say that he is 95% sure that you have ms, even with the clean mri's and mine said definetly no ms because of clean mri. He just told me to come back at the end of the year if symptoms continue! Every symptom that I told him of, he just said the body does strange things sometimes. This did not sit to well with me! Needless to say, I have found another neruo, which I will see next month (thanks to Nikki )

How long have you been trying to get a dx?

Later,
    Julia

Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
    mnewhall
    (female)

mnewhall HB User

julia,

my neuro said that just because the MRIs are clear and the LP is clear does NOT mean you don't have MS. you will find some of the MSer's on here who have a dx of MS and have clear MRI's.

the neuro has to rule everything else out first. alot of my sx's match MS which as you know MS sx's and other disease sx's can mimic each other and he's ruled out Lyme and B12 deficiency and everything else. taking into consideration my sx's and medical history, he's able to come to a conclusion of a possible dx. i think i mentioned before that he has a young patient in the nursing home who is paralyzed with clean MRIs and a clean LP and clean bloodwork, but he dx with MS.

it's just so hard to dx MS and it takes a good patient/doctor relationship to be able to dx.

i have had sx's since 1991
    dx'd Fibromyalgia, Sjogren's & Raynaud's 1995
    dx Vertigo 2003
    dx TMJ 2004
    dx Interstitial Cystitis 2004
    etc etc etc

wishing you well and answers to your questions soon.

blessings,
    michelle

Old 06-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
    c57s53
    (female)

c57s53 HB User

Hi Michelle,
    With the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia I'm wondering if that could be your main problem. Anyone with Fibro. please jump in if I am wrong, but I have, honestly, so many symptoms of MS it isn't funny. Thats why I am here often just reading and respond occasionally. I, at times, feel like I MUST have MS, but I know I don't. I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia along with Hypothyroidism and Diabetes and a major problem with Neuropathy that causes me numbness in my right leg, pain in my legs, restless legs, etc. The Fibromyalgia has so many symptoms, heaviness in the legs and arms, brain fog, dizziness, migraines, depression, and so many other things. I don't have them all at the same time but it is very debilitating for me when it flares. Some doctors brush it off as if it doesn't exist, and I think some honestly diagnose it when they don't know what else it is, but I can tell you the tender points are extremely painful and for me, it is as bad as my Lupus can be at times. I was diagnosed with Lupus a year after the diagnosis of Fibro. and I have heard that Lupus and Fibro. go hand in hand....don't know if that's true or not, but if you have Sjogrens, you shold look into it. Just a thought, and I know how much the same these autoimmune illnesses can be, causing so many of the same symptoms. Before I was diagnosed with Lupus I was having a terrible time walking out of my house I was in so much pain and my legs felt like they weighed a ton each. I was going for aquatic PT when a couple of the Physical Therapists asked me what my diagnosis was I said "Fibromyalgia", and they responded to me that they thought I could have MS based on my symptoms and that it probably hadn't been diagnosed yet, so even they thought MS, but I don't have it. Anyway, I hope you do get your answers soon, it is a bummer not knowing.

Connie

Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
    mnewhall
    (female)

mnewhall HB User

Hi Connie ,

When I was first dx'd with fibro I had a borderline positive ANA and they thought I had lupus as well. eventually my rheumie said i did not have lupus, but i did have the fibro, secondary sjogren's, raynaud's. i also have been dx'd with endometriosis, fibroid tumors, interstitial cystitis, hyperthyroid turned hypothyroidism, vertigo, TMJ, restless leg syndrome and the list goes on.

when i finally came to see my neuro (whom i really respect) last year, he told me (and this is just my neuro stating this, not me) he did NOT like the dx of Fibromyalgia because to him it means the doctor does not care enough to research and find the true cause of the sx's. he said it's a cop-out dx, but that my sx's are real and further testing needs to be done as well as taking clinical sx's into consideration. this was a blessing to me in that he was taking me and my sx's seriously, as in the past i have always felt brushed off or shunned or made to feel like a hypochondriac (esp with a dx of fibro). i never had any tangible sx's like swelling in my joints or rashes, etc so my rheumie just would have me come in for checkup every so often and would not do anything but look at me and tell me to come back in 6 mos.

since being dx'd with fibro, i have progressively gotten worse with more and more sx's that are closely overlapping MS and nothing that my rheumie rx'd helped (meds or stretching, etc). all my tests have normal results and MS many times is dx'd after all other possible causes have been ruled out.

i'm sure there are many that were first dx'd with fibro and later it's discovered that they have MS (i think i've seen some threads on this). i know MS is very hard to dx and fibromyalgia is so controversial amongst doctors; and you know, wouldn't it be something if they (medical field, doctors) found out that fibromyalgia was actually the beginning stages of MS or pre-MS. i know the dx tests listed on the MS society site states that clear MRIs do not mean that a patient does NOT have MS, but all other things must be ruled out first.

thank you for this post. it's always good to keep an open mind to anything. i believe in my heart of hearts that it is MS, but it could be a long time before my MRIs would show anything if they even would. i'm curious though as to why you say you don't have MS. i know there are people who are dx'd with MS have clear MRIs and LPs and even the MS society page says you don't have to have lesions visible on MRIs to be dx'd with it.

i'm sorry you are going through so many different diseases. i truly understand about pain and can relate. wishing you pain-free days (even if it is only 1 or 2 at a time ). i honestly wouldn't know how to act if i woke up one morning without pain i probably would think i had died and gone to heaven!

blessings,
    michelle

Last edited by mnewhall; 06-12-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
    c57s53
    (female)

c57s53 HB User

Michelle....I should say my doctors haven't diagnosed with MS nor are they looking for it. They did think it was MS about 30 years ago but then after an mRI came out clear they said I didn't have it. Most recently, about 9 years ago, i was diagnosed with the Fibro. and a year later with Lupus and that's where all the major tests stopped. I do have some unanswered questions but no mention of MS by my Rheumatologist. I am getting a new Neuro. since my old Dr. moved out of state. I have so much going on right now, just sold my house and have to really pace myself to get things packed up to move and a very sick BIL with Lymphoma...he could poass at any time and it is so sad and I am worried about my sister.....so, I have no time to think about myself and what I am feeling, and honestly I think sometimes it's just better that way.
    Wishing for good days

ahead for everyone here!

Connie

Old 06-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
    parisiancat
    (female)

parisiancat HB User

Julia, that is my main symptom! When I exercise (even just walking for more than 20 minutes) I lose the use of my leg. I have a constant tingling and deminished sensitivity in my hand and when I exercise the tingling/buzzing gets worse, the more I exercise the worse it gets.

My neuro says that it's heat. When I exercise, the damaged nerves heat up, worsening the sx. When I stop moving the buzzing subsides.

Cat

Old 06-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Cat, Im experiencing quite a bit of what you describe only its all in my hand. My neuro said last week it was the heat, too; however, IM ready to chew my hand off it hurts so bad. Ive come home from work and sat with an ice pack in my hand, trying to numb it- as nothing else has worked.

He is now talking to me about trying Achter Gel, a steroid which is injected rather than IV. Im liking the idea of not having an IV in my arm for 5 days, but scared to death as this was only recently approved for MS treatment. Im also not sure at all about the sounds of the side effects...they sound awful! I didnt do well on IV steroids, and have no idea if this will help. Has your neuro given you anything at all which has allieviated the pain you are having? Lyrica, neurontin and host of others have done nothing for me...

Nikki

Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
    mnewhall
    (female)

mnewhall HB User

Connie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your BIL. i will keep him in my prayers as well as your sister and yourself. i know exactly how you feel about not even having time to think about yourself and your well-being. i need about 8 more days in my week

please know that i'm praying for you.

blessings,
    michelle

Old 06-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #11
    parisiancat
    (female)

parisiancat HB User

Hi Nikki,
    I'm not on medication. The buzzing in my hand is not bad. It's inconvient and strange but not painful. My leg is frustrating and impacts on my day to day life alot but again it doesn't cause me actual pain.
    Good luck with the Acter Gel. I hope it goes well for you. An injection has got to be easier than an iv. I think you're really brave - I've been doing everything I can to avoid medication and am scared of the day when I will finally have to give in.
    Let us know how you get on
    Cat

Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 AM   #12
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

thanks Cat! I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, when you say you are avoiding every medication, does that include MS Therapy Drugs as well? You are dx with MS Im assuming. Why not get on something to slow down the progression?
    Our hand symptoms sound alot like, my biggest issue is that I think Im going to have to live with this for the rest of my life, and what used to be annoying is now downright painful all the time. I hate this feeling.
    I hope that you are considering an MS drug. Theres so much proof of what being on these drugs does for us, and so much proof that NOT being on them can cause permenent disability...I just want you to be okay in the long run.

Having a tough day, and its only 7:30 am. Off to work I go.
    This should be interesting!
    Have a good day.
    N

Old 06-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
    parisiancat
    (female)

parisiancat HB User

Hi Nikki, I was dx two months ago. I'm giving myself six months (until my next checkup) where I'm working on changing diet, supplements, and some lifestyle changes. I'll see where I am then. I have been learning about the thearpy drugs but am happy to go without them for now. I am not ruling them out completely.
    Hope your day wasn't too stressful. Cat

Old 06-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
    LupieOne
    Inactive
    (female)

LupieOne HB User

I have Lupus, Fibro, OA, Raynauds, Sjogrens, APS, etc...etc...etc...and recently, these current worsening symptoms put me in the hospital in April for 3 days and after some testing and such, my now X neuro said, "It must be your Fibromyalgia causing all this." Well, when my rheumy heard about this the following week at my appt. she was peeved!!! First off, because the neuro never even contacted her or had ANY other rheumy see me in the hospital(my rheumy isn't with that hospital) nor did he contact my ENT or my cardio, who both ARE affiliated with that hospital-and should have been called in to see me during my admission because I was seeing the ENT at the time for some of the symptoms AND because of my high blood pressure and the fact that I had a Cardiac Ablation a year before and had a racing pulse at the time of admission too...as well as the fact that neuro pawned all of it off as being the Fibro. She said..."There is NO WAY this all from Fibromyalgia! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!" She then proceeded to go call my neuro and gave him a piece of her mind on all of it! lmao Obviously, i am NOT going back to that neuro group!! Believe me...this kind of thing is very common and typical of some docs when you have Lupus and/or Fibro and they don't know what is currently wrong...they are very quick to blame anything and everything on Lupus/Fibro!! I can't tell you how mnay times I have heard... "oh, it must be/is from your Lupus/Fibro"
    I even told an ENT I saw several yeras ago that I did NOT want to hear that its from my Lupus, when I went to him for an odd echoing-beat in my left ear, to every syllable I speak(still un-DXd on that prob! lol) He did not like that I said that one bit-made copies of my records and told me he couldn't help me then! lmao Rheumy said I must have stepped on his ego big time and called him an arse!! rofl!
    So I don't take kindly when docs try and say every single thing we deal with is from Lupus or Fibro! A person CAN have other things wrong that is not from one disease they are already DXd with and I and many other Lupies are proof of that!!! lol

Closed Thread