It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• What do you all think about chiropractic treatment to lower HBP?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
    2muchdrugs28
    (male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User
    What do you all think about chiropractic treatment to lower HBP?

Hi all,
    I recently read an article about a study that showed chiropractic treatment can lower HBP. It invovled a special procedure to adjust the atlas vertebrae, which are located near the base of the skill.

Admittedly, I have always been skeptical about chiropractic treatment. The only reason that I have paid attention to this study is because a MD, not a chiropractor, conducted the study and reported the results. However, after taking HBP drugs for two years, I am open to alternative treatments. Does anyone have success stories (or warnings) about resorting to chiropractic treatment for HBP?

thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: What do you all think about chiropractic treatment to lower HBP?

Personally,
    I wouldn't let any chiropractor fiddle anywhere NEAR my axis vertebra. THe risks with neck manipulations include STROKE, neurological disorders, etc.

There is no good evidence that any manipulation of the Atlas vertebra will lower blood pressure. I judge such claims to be pure QUACKERY!

Chiropractors have their place, but NOT in blood pressure management.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-13-2007 at 04:18 AM.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
    2muchdrugs28
    (male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User

Lenin,
    A year ago, you may have been right by suggesting that there is no good evidence that chiropractic treatment can lower blood pressure. However, there is a recent study by Dr. George Bakris, a MD at Rush Hospital in Chicago, that showed adjusting the atlas vertebrae could lower blood pressure significantly. Patients in his study who underwent the atlas adjustment averaged a blood pressure reduction of 14 mm Hg systolic and 8 mm diastolic. Patients that received a sham chiropractic treatment experienced no BP reduction.

All I am saying is that the risk of a stroke from chiropractic treatment may be worth it if you can lower your blood pressure significantly. We all know that high blood pressure by itself is a major risk factor for strokes too.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Just wondering if the BP reduction was permanent or only temporary.Would regular on-going chiropractic treatments be required for BP maintenance?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:01 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

2muchdrugs,

If I had a quarter for every claim that was made for chiropractic cures, I would be a VERY rich man today. Yes, some even claimed they could cure cancer with manipulations.
    When I see a good controlled study of the beneficial and relatively risk free effect of Atlas manipulation on the BP and this study duplicateable (sp?), then I will believe this jillionth claim of chiropractic's wonders.

THere ARE some people who suffer various conditions because the size of the entry hole into the cranium is too small...surgical resizing of this hole has been beneficial...but my memory is hazy on this and I don't know if it's still being pursued, or even what the conditon was....it was big news about 5 years ago.

There is almost NOTHING worth risking a stroke or full body paralysis for, IMHO. I REALLY, REALLY think it is too dangerous to contemplate. Peruse anying like the "dangers of neck manipulation" and you'll find some scary stuff.

A large group of Canadian clinical neurologists , all certified members of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, have issued a warning to the Canadian public and provincial governments about the dangers of neck manipulation, warning that stroke and death due to neck manipulation has been reported in the scientific literature for over 50 years and that manipulation is one of the LEADING causes of stroke in the under 45-age group. In fact they recommended that any young people presenting with stroke symptoms be quizzed about recent neck manipulations.

The state has long used Atlas manipulation in the judicial system...it was called HANGING! <I COULDN'T resist!>

If you DO want to try it, make sure you make yourself an "informed consumer" first...read all you can on the pros and cons. MAke it SUPER informed because of the potential horrors. (I'd happily take a bullet to the head rather than paralysis.)

Last edited by Lenin; 06-15-2007 at 06:30 AM.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
    2muchdrugs28
    (male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User

flowergirltoday,
    I do not know if the potential BP improvement from chiropractic adjustements is temporary or whether it requires lifelong treatment. The procedure that I read about is an atlas orthogonal adjustment. If you are interested, it may be worthwhile to speak with a chiropractor who is trained on the procedure.

I live in Colorado. One of the directories I checked only listed 4 chiropractors in the state who are trained on the atlas orthogonal adjustment. The procedure is a gentle adjustment aided by a machine. It is not the rapid neck adjustments that most people associate with chiropractic treatment.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 AM   #7
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2muchdrugs28 View Post
    Hi all,
    I recently read an article about a study that showed chiropractic treatment can lower HBP. It invovled a special procedure to adjust the atlas vertebrae, which are located near the base of the skill.... The only reason that I have paid attention to this study is because a MD, not a chiropractor, conducted the study and reported the results....
    I briefly reviewed the literature and found info on the study I believe you are describing....what I learned was:

1. 50 subjects participated in the study, 25 received treatment and 25 did not
    2. only people with early stage hypertension participated in the study
    3. the study lasted 8 weeks

Based on this info, I see LOTS of problems and have LOTS of questions. My thoughts are that a study of 50 people is not statistically significant--in other words there weren't enough people participating for meaningful results. Given this small sample it was impossible to test this treatment on men, women, whites, blacks, well people, sick people, young people, old people, etc.---this is important because some populations react differently than other populations do to treatment.

Early stage hypertension can be "treated" sucessfully (as is documented with numerous legitimate studies) with lifestyle changes that cost nothing---why pay money to see a chiropractor for treatment that has not been tested thoroughly and that my be risky?

A study that lasts only 8 weeks tells us very little about the short term and long term effects of treatment.

Some more thoughts...just because a study is done doesn't mean the results are reliable. One has to look at the data and look for flaws in the study--- One also has to look at the funding source for the study as that too can influence results. And although a doctor may or may not be associated with the study, keep in mind that the doctor's comments/interpretations may or may not be recorded accurately or in context, and or used with permission. Just because something is in print doesn't mean it is accurate or true.

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 06-18-2007 at 07:52 AM.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

2much,

I could not imagine such a farfetched study being carried out by anyone, but did not want to look it up and read it. I had never heard or read about chiropractic adjustments influencing blood pressure one way or another. It sounded like one of those miracle cure type of things you see advertised everywhere. If there was a bit of truth in that, I am sure we would have heard. Thanks for your reply.

Flowergirl

Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
    joe86
    (male)

joe86 HB User

I'm sorry if I offend any practitioners or believers of chiropractic, but I wouldn't submit my body to this quackery for any reason, let alone hypertension.
    I was once taken in, hook line and sinker, by the chiropractic myth. I even went so far as to enroll in a chiropractic school. But then after hearing one too many times that both and my wife would soon be "falling over" backward without treatment I saw the light. Twenty-five years later we are still walking upright, thank you very much!
    Now to hear claims of relieving hypertension with this beggars belief.

Closed Thread