It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Hard breakup, no contact and trying to move forward

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
    Erin942
    (female)

Erin942 HB User
    Hard breakup, no contact and trying to move forward

I posted before about my first foray into dating after a sudden breakup. I thought I'd post now about that breakup. Others on the board atre struggling with theirs, too, and I wanted to relate with mine. It's long, just as a warning...

I'm 27, my ex is 33 and he broke up with me almost two months ago after two years of a very easy, enjoyable relationship because he was unsure of me/us/the future/what he wants. It was very hard, we both cried, he didn't have a lot of answers to give me -- something just told him it was not right. We had an incredible relationship -- it was the longest and most serious for us both. I thought he was the one for me, I had the most incredible love, pride and admiration for him. I felt like the luckiest person in the world to be with him. I could so easily see him as a husband, as a father. I saw us together. I just felt so certain about it. And he treated me so kindly, with so much care and love. It felt perfect. He seemed perfect. I fell in love with him, I fell in love with his family. My parents adored him, our parents became friends, everyone thought we'd move in together or get engaged sometime soon. Especially me. But neither of us felt rushed, we just went with the flow but both knew that settling down was an eventual go for us as individiduals. The love I had for him and with him was completely indescribable. And I felt the most intense pain and sorrow when he broke up with me.

It was an unexpected, incredibly painful breakup -- him saying he loved me more than anything, but felt that ending things was right, that he could not be there for me like I deserved and he couldn't give anything more to the relationship and to me. He said it hurt him to know how much I gave to him and to our relationship and that he could not match it. He didn't know what he wanted, didn't want to hurt me. It wasn't about me, it wasn't about anything I did. It wasn't about another woman or wanting to be with anyone else. He didn't have concrete answers as to why he felt he could not be with me, there weren't really any overlooked warning signs, we never fought and we rarely disagreed. So, it was sudden and shocking to me. It was not planned, however. What began as a conversation about how he was feeling anxiety about work/life/us in general resulted in our dissolution. Fortunately, we managed to break up gently, without harsh words or actions. More so, it occured repsectfully and with love, albeit with tears and sadness on both sides.

We have not seen each other or spoken since two days after our breakup, when I collected my things from his house. I left communication up to him and said it was his to own. He told me he'd want to check in to see how I was in a week or two, after a little time had passed. I said I was not sure how I felt about that, but left it up to him. I have not heard from him. I go back and forth between how I feel about this. In the beginning, it completely shattered me more and more as each day went by and I never heard from him. I am not waiting for his call now, but I do think about it and whether he would ever reach out to me. I am very firm about me not contacting him. It was my last promise to him -- that communication was his. I've stuck to it for nearly two months now.

I saw a few of our mutual friends last night for dinner and found out that he does not have the intent to contact me after all. My ex is exceedingly private and has not said much to friends or family about our breakup and why he did it. His reasons to me were a little nebulous, too. No one saw it coming, especially me. Our friends and families were also very shocked and saddened. Two of our mutual friends who I saw last night, two guys he grew up with and are his closest friends, had been out with him a couple weeks back and decided to see if he would open up more about our breakup. The other couple of times they have seen him since we broke up, they mentioned it and he immediately clammed up, just saying it was hard and sad, he was hanging in there. But then he'd change the subject. So this most recent time they all got together, they asked if my ex had been in touch with me (they knew he had not though) and he said no. They asked him why and he said that too much time had passed and he felt weird calling now to check in on me. They pressed him more for why and kind of ganged up on him, asking him if he thought that was best and why. He was short with them and said he that he didn't really know what to say to me, and he felt badly and didn't want to hurt me more or make things harder. They said it got awkward and he clammed up and it was clear he did not want to talk about it any more. Because of his reaction, they changed the topic.

When I heard this, I burst into tears. And I don't really know why. Everything he told them about why he had not reached out to me is exactly what I had been thinking. There were no surprises here. And I am not waiting around for him to call like I did in the few weeks following our breakup. I also agree -- what really is to be gained from a phone call? Why drudge through this, especially if neither of us feels like we have anything to say and he can't give me any more answers as to why he ended this?

But, I guess hearing that those words came from him and that he truly had no intentions in contacting me -- potentially ever -- still felt hurtful to me. It makes me feel completely discredited, like I'm not even worth the breath, like our relationship was such a minor blip that he can toss it so simply and refuses to talk about it to his closest friends even. I did not fall in love with a robotic, unfeeling person. His approach to this just seems so mechanical. Again, I don't think contact would be good and I understand why for us both, but this just seems like direct evidence that he has truly cut this off and out of his life, and just left it, me and us in the dust and kept walking without ever looking back. It's hard, to feel like this is a setback, another kick. I think about me not contacting him, him not contacting me. We could easily just never be in touch ever again. That in itself is so very sad. Even if it is necessary and true. I'm working hard to move away from this with grace, to be open going forward rather than embittered and jaded. But it is so hard to stay positive when you don't entirely understand why you were left and may never truly know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User
    Re: Hard breakup, no contact and trying to move forward

I'm sorry that you are still in so much pain over this. It is so much easier when you know the reasons for things. It gives you some sort of clossure. I can completely understand how hurt you must still be by all this. It's going to take some time Erin, but it will get easier.

I think you are very wise not to contact him. You are so much stronger than a lot of other people who post about their breakups. Contacting him (or vice versa) is only going to reopen old wounds. I think that is why he hasn't called you. He knows he hurt you and there is nothing he can say to make it any better, and he probably feels guilt for that. He is in pain too (from what his friends said) so he may be protecting himself and allowing himself to heal as well. The no contact may be hard to understand but it really is for the best until you are completely over him and your relationship.

Keep staying strong. You will be fine.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
    D31
    (female)

D31 HB User

I do feel for you. And I do agree that you sound stronger than most (and myself when my ex and I broke up) And you are definatly doing the right thing by no contact trust me on this... I made the huge mistake in the past of contacting the ex and I felt worse later.. it was awful. And as far as why he broke up with you.. trying to get answers on why or question yourself. You will never know.. and really no matter what it would have happend at some point.. from the sounds of things. To me he sounds confused. And if you think for a minute he is not hurting wrong.. he is human to. And he may deal or show it a different way.. but he is hurting. You don;t just walk out of a relationship as you had and just dust yourself off. Perhaps this is why he clammed up everytime people asked him what happend.. why etc....he simply does not was to rehash it. Who would ? It is upsetting. So him feeling nothing not the case... My ex did the same thing very mechanical.. like no big deal.. after 3 years.. I loved his family to. He never spoke of it much.. got all private.. it was cause he was hurting. So with that said... keep up what you are doing.. it WILL get better. it takes time and you wonder everyday when will the hurt go away... and it is not soon enough... time does heal wounds.. however it is what you do with the time that helps heal.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erin94402 View Post
    I think about me not contacting him, him not contacting me. We could easily just never be in touch ever again. That in itself is so very sad. Even if it is necessary and true. I'm working hard to move away from this with grace, to be open going forward rather than embittered and jaded. But it is so hard to stay positive when you don't entirely understand why you were left and may never truly know.
    Hi, Erin94402 I just want to say that what you said, above, struck a chord with me. I myself thinking - more than anything in relation to my ex - how sad it is that two people who lived together and shared a bed might never see one another again My ex has been calling me, and I cannot begin to imagine what it must feel like for your ex to have cut you off so ruthlessly, but I honestly think that no contact is the best thing for the person who's been left behind.

It's been nearly a week now since the last phone call and it's given me the time to reflect on what it is that goes through my ex's head when she decides to call. Her behaviour is selfish in comparison to that of your ex. Once somebody has made up their mind that they no longer want to be with you, it is unfair to confuse matters by acting like nothing's changed. By not making contact, your ex is being as kind as he can be in the situation. I bet it sucks, but so does the nervousness and pointless hope of answering my ex's phone calls or messages every five days or so.

Hang in there, Erin94402 I love your name, by the way. I used to know an American girl called Erin and she was such a lovely person; I can tell from your sensitive writing style that you are too. That's why you don't have to worry about the long term: you will find somebody who complements you in every way

Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
    bulletproof
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bulletproof HB User

The same exact thing happened with my ex-boyfriend. I promise you that it does get easier. What's so hard about those situations is that you never know if you can trust your own judgement again. It's weird to be in what you think is a good situation, yet the other person isn't happy. It's also difficult because you want to hate the person, yet technically he hasn't done anything wrong or deliberately hurtful.

I used to be jealous of those people who had infidelity or constant fighting as a cause of their breakup. That's because, to me, the answer would be so clear-cut in those situations.

My only and best advice is to take some time to feel lousy and heal, remain without contact, and try to do things that make you truly happy. In my case, this happened a couple of years ago, and I only recently met someone who I like even more than I liked my ex. That is something I thought was impossible at the time, because I was so in love, but it has happened. It may or may not work out, but at least I will never be as crushed again, because I have made a promise to myself to always rely on me.

And my ex? He has yet another girlfriend, who he can't commit to in a real way, either. Same old. I feel proud that I was the one who was capable of loving, despite the hurt that may have resulted. Be glad you are a loving person and don't feel one bit sorry for that.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
    reddoorblack
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reddoorblack HB User

I'm so sorry for your pain. I've been there. I understand. You seem to be dealing with this pretty well. Stay strong and don't contact him.

My reaction to this story is, that there is way more to it. There's something going on with this guy. Something you don't know about, maybe. What ever it is, you are certainly strong and deserve better than this.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
    Erin942
    (female)

Erin942 HB User

Thank you all so much for your replies. It means a lot to hear your words and advice from people who have gone through this type of heartbreak.

I agree that though hard, the no contact is good. I waited for him to call for the first month. Every night. And I cried every night when I'd go to sleep without hearing from him. It felt almost like I was being dumped every night that he did not call....it just hurt that he knew how horrible I felt and he never once reached out to me to see how I was. It makes me very sad that that happened. I never thought we could be friends after this, I definitely do not want that. It would be too hard. But he said he wanted to call to see how I was after a week or two and it was hard when that never happened.

I know that he loved me. He loved me all he could. But maybe he didn't love me enough to want to move this forward. When we broke up he said that he was so afraid that we'd wake up in 6 months or in a year and things would be the same, not progressing. He said he was afraid this was as far as we would get. He thought that after two years he should have a clear picture of the future and his life and he did not. That I knew exactly what I wanted and was six years younger than him. He did not know. I told him that I hadn't pressured him to make a big step (we discussed moving in when my roommate moved out about 6 months before we broke up, but he felt we weren't ready. I was okay with it). He said that maybe that was a problem -- that we were so content with the status quo. I reassured him that every couple is on a different timeline, nothing is calculated, and that I wished I could tell him where we'd be in 6 months or 12, but couldn't. It is the big unknown.

He is a very busy, successful person. He works very long hours with a lot of nights and weekends. We lived 35 miles apart, so I we'd see each other usually once during the week and then I'd stay at his house on weekends. It was hard to schedule time sometimes, but we made it work. Work is #1 for him, but I was okay with it. At this point in our lives, work should be #1. He is involved with a number of boards and committees and teaches a college class. So, he is on the go a lot and very busy and driven. But I am independent too and have my own activities and things aside from him. Because of his schedule, I bent more to it and made more sacrifices for him and for us to see each other. He was always sorry that he could not put in the time I could, could not match what I could put into it. Even when I said it was ok, he felt poorly about it. That is the only thing that really was "up" with how things with us were...he's a normal, happy and incredible guy. No issues in the past or anything going on. He just can't do this with me, for whatever reasons.

It is hard. I am trying to stay positive. But it is so easy to fall into the negative. Thanks again for reading.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User

I think you are doing a pretty good job at staying positive Erin. Breakups are hard and they take some time to get over. From what you say it just sounds like your timing wasn't right. Sometimes everything can be "perfect" (or pretty darn close), but if you are in two different stages in your life it just doesn't work. At least you broke up on good terms and you have all those great memories of the time you shared.

Keep staying positive. It may not seem it now but you this whole thing will get easier. Take care.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
    lizzi70
    (female)

lizzi70 HB User

break-ups are horrible things. I'm about 2 months out of one. I dated this great guy for a little over 1.5 year. . we are both 35 - lots on the table at our age. I thought that he was the one for me - so many things about him i really loved. But there was always some distance there - we took things slow in the beginning. 2 nights before we broke we talked about marriage and where we were and how we seem to be stuck. we talked about moving forward and taking that jump- i woke up the next day and knew that he wasnt going to move forward. I called him over and ended things - he was relieved - bc he isnt ready to bring someone into his life. He has lived a very sheltered life -lives close to home, went to the same college his parents went to, same profession as his father and sister - they all work together. He is trying figure out who he is, feels very stuck in many places in his life and moving our relationship forward was making him nervous and trapped - he knows that he is behind and that life is passing him by, but he was unable to make a commitment to me. Its been really hard. About a month out he emailed me - telling me that he missed me and wants to keep in touch - doesnt know what the future holds but has faith in it. I emailed back saying that i miss him too and i understand where he is - but did not say i wanted to get back together. for the next month there were some text messages and some emails. Last tuesday I told him that these communications werent making me happy and that i didnt want to be just his friend and that if he wanted to talk about us to call me. i just put it out there, my terms. He hasnt contacted me and i didnt expect him too, bc i know he has nothing to bring to the table.

its been so hard to let this go - i'm really struggling with it all. i keep thinking that he is going to come back to me in a few months and that this is going to work out - i went back to my therapist to try and get "unstuck" and to stop thinking about him. I felt your pain in reading this. It was a sudden break-up too. We just had so much fun together and loved talking to eachother.

i just want to stop waiting for him.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
    Erin942
    (female)

Erin942 HB User

Thank you again for reading and posting back.

This stuff is really hard -- and this board is great for getting the frustrations and emotions out and seeing how others deal.

Lizzi -- I am so sorry you are going through this, too. It sounds similar, though you have more insight into the whys and hows than I do right now. He seems to be very honest with you and with himself -- I think that says a lot. The fact that he said that he does see a future with you, but not now, must be both comforting and frustrating.

I'm thinking of you and hope you keep your chin up, too.

It is scary how you can be so happy, secure and stable with someone, seemingly without a care in the world and then they up and leave so quickly and you feel like you've been totally levelled, like a tower of toy blocks that's knocked over.

Picking up those pieces alone takes time and is hard...thanks again, all.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
    lizzi70
    (female)

lizzi70 HB User

It is very hard. . i dont know why we need to be loved so much. I am feeling a little better about things today- but tomorrow i could feel like crap again. Everyone says it gets better with time, and it does I'm sure. my ex, had lots of commitment issues - and there were times that it was very hard on me - and other times i just made fun of it. . but there were other great times where we had this connection like nothing i ever felt before. We both always felt there was something so great there just under the surface if we could just get to it - but not this time. I dont know if i will ever see or hear from him again and thinking about him with someone else shatters me. But i guess it will get better. . please take care of yourself - you sounds like a very caring honest person and im sure that there is a better plan out there for you. my good friend always said "you cant predict the future, but you can trust it" and that is what i am trying to do.

take care

Old 06-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
    ~Tyger~
    Veteran
    (female)

~Tyger~ HB User

Erin, I completely relate to how you are feeling. If you can, read my new post, too.

I've been through a horrible breakup before, and am currently going through one right now, too. Last breakup there were many reasons, it had been going downhill for a while, and we had inescapable problems that were only accumulating and putting stress on us. So in that instance, it was the inevitable. And perhaps easier.

For this one, it was completely different. For a start, it was me that ended it, and not because I felt less, but rather because I felt more. I fell so hard and so intensely for this man, who, like my other ex, and like your situation, is six years older than me. A strange coincidence. He is all that I think about and all that I yearn for. It was only a few days ago that I ended it and the pain of this will be lasting and overwhelming. I am refusing to allow myself to contact him, I have to honour my decision. But I let him go because he wasn't able to commit to me right away after coming out of a long-term relationship that hurt him, and although our time together was nothing short of magical, at this time it could not be, and to ignore that is to destroy it. I finally realised that the only way to save us, was to let him go. I could not go on loving him and let it drag into something unrecognisable. In this moment, he is perfect. So I left, before jealousy, hatred and frustration could destroy all hopes of a future.

Like Lizzi, I am holding onto those dregs of possibility that there is a future in store for us - that the connection we had over our time together is enough to bring us back together when the time is right. That he will come to me, and offer that commitment that he is unable to give now, so fresh out of a breakup of his own. I just have to have faith, although in its own way, perhaps that faith is just as destructive.

"If you love something let it go. If it comes back its yours, if it doesn't it never was".

Be strong Erin, and Lizzi. We are in this together. It is so difficult when it seems like the only problem between two people is that there were NO problems. How can that be? It is so much harder to let go when the love is stronger than ever, and I think it takes so much more courage. Weaker women than yourselves would have grovelled or contacted or pleaded to have them back, and in doing so would have accepted being just a 'side-dish' while the man does whatever he wants and keeps her hanging. Be proud that you know you are worth so much more than that, and that for that reason, the man you miss holds you in high esteem, with full respect. He even told me that, in a message he wrote the night after:

"You have my utmost respect and I never regretted a second of our time. You are unique."

Old 06-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #13
    Erin942
    (female)

Erin942 HB User

Thanks for posting. I hope these days are easier for you this week, Tyger, Lizzi, everyone. Some days are up, some are down. It's a mixed bag, isn't it?

Tyger, I am sorry you are going through this, too. It is the hardest -- when a breakup happens for "no" reason. Sure, there are reasons, but they're not "good." These are the hardest because there is not a lot to blame. You did nothing wrong, he did nothing wrong, the relationship was solid. It just isn't going to move forward....on its own or because one person can't do it. Combine that with some nebulous closure and no contact and you can easily get stuck figuring things out on your own and beating yourself down in the process. Welcome to my past 8 weeks

What I do agree with, which you explain in your post, is that we are lucky that if things ended they did so peacefully. As horrible as breaking up was and how terribly low and insignificant I felt as a result, I know that we were lucky in it. We had an incrediblle two years and I know we are both better people for the other. We do have amazing memories -- even if they are hard to think about right now. I see other people end relationships so poorly -- with harsh words and actions, petty stuff they regret later. My ex and I treated each other with respect and love from the first day to the last. And I have so much pride and admiration and love for him -- I want him to be happy and succeed. I want him to have the best life he can possibly have and I mean it. I really do. It is sad I won't be a part of it and it is sad that I gave all of me to him and he still could not be with me, but I want him to find peace with this breakup. I want to find it for myself, too.

I think that even when we are in a rough patch and feel horrible and alone, that it is better to want the best for the other than to build up hate or resentment, make jokes at their expense or become sarcasticly bitter about the time we had with them. We should be glad that we have so much love and compassion for these men that even when they break our hearts we still want the best for them despite how we feel.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
    ~Tyger~
    Veteran
    (female)

~Tyger~ HB User

You're comments are spot on, Lizzi. My friends go through breakups very different, with name-calling and spite and eventually hatred. Its horrible. They don't seem to know when to let go of something before it degenerates. Its just so difficult. I'm yet to write a new post on my situation, and today, so keep an eye out. I'd really appreciate your comments and support... seeing as you both (Erin and Lizzi), and others that have posted on this thread, are going through the same thing.

Maybe then I won't feel so awfully alone in the situation. I wish I could stop crying... I wish I could feel positive about ending it. I had my reasons, but underneath it all, there's just a love and respect thats so terribly hard to ignore.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
    lizzi70
    (female)

lizzi70 HB User

i seem to have good days and bad days.

i still miss him and i am starting to hate that nagging little voice inside of me that "he will come back and he will be ready" blah blah blah. I just want to erase these feelings. All relationships are different, and there were some problems in mine, but i always felt lucky for having met him. . . it has been a little over a week since i told him not to contact me anymore, and its hard getting farther and farther away from that last communication. I have these day-dreams about him, that he will just text me and say "you want a coffee?" and bring me one like he used to or that i will be out walking my dog and I will come back and he will be there in front of my house . .- I sound insane! I'm trying to date a little. . i dont know if its working, sometimes it makes it worse bc i just miss him more.

My father once gave me some very good advice. .he said "life is about decisions - and the hardest decisions in your life are the most important, the ones where 49% of the decision hurts and 51% is just right. Those are the decision that shape your life - happiness is about that 2%". So that is how i saw ending this. . I needed that 2%. I dont know how much he misses me - but i know that he will remember me fondly - that i made him smile and laugh, that i was supportive and kind - that i worked hard and wasnt afraid. . thats a good way to leave it. . we win ladies. .

Closed Thread