It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• VERY unhappy 9 month old HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
    dburt
    (female)

dburt HB User
    VERY unhappy 9 month old HELP

I appreciate anyone that takes the time to read this and offer help. I am a second time mother with a nine month old that has been an upset baby since he was born-the first 3 1/2 month he never was happy and cried except for when he slept. Since that time he will only be content for very short periods of time around 15 minutes. He begins to get upset and more he cries the more upset he becomes. He does have reflux, but we seem to have it under control now and of course it is teething time. What is so confusing to my entire family is that if he is riding in the car, or at the child care at the gym or in the store...he is very happy and rarely cries. Most of the time when we pick him up he will stop, but not always. It has become so very frustrating. With advise from my mom, I have kissed him and layed him down in his bed. If he is tired many times he will go to sleep but if not then the screaming is on. This will go on for indefinite periods of time, and not necessarily stop when he gets picked up. When I have mentioned it to his physician they say, "some babies are fussier than others" I feel this is more than a fussy baby and don't know where to turn. The rare times he is happy he is adorable. I keep thinking it will get better, but so far it has not. I just don't think he physically is feeling bad but I would hate to think something is physically wrong that we are not aware of. ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
    Re: VERY unhappy 9 month old HELP

Insist that the doctor takes you seriously and checks him all over. My SIL had a baby just like this and it turned out he had a hernia that caused him distress in most positions. Because it didn't hurt when she held him (support underneath), the drs put it down to fussiness. Finally a vigilant nurse spotted it while changing his diaper. She found later that the Dr had her down as a "neurotic mother".

Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Could it be an allergy? Have you recently introduced something new to his diet that is causing gastric allergic distress? My son has food allergies.. the first signs were that when lying down he would get very colicy and in consolable. I was expecting allergies so i kept a food diary of what was introduced when so when a problem occured I could remove the most recent offender and see if things improved. In the case of this you only introduce a new food every 10 - 14 days.. allowing any allergies to develop before introducing a new aggravant.

If one parent has allergies then you know the child has an 80% chance of having amplified allergies. Another test you can do is giving gas drops in conjunction with benedryl. If the child ceases the behaviour in 7-14 days (takes approx.14 for the anit-histamine to hit optimum efficiency in the body) then it is probably a food sensitivity or allergy.

But yes go to a new MD if you are getting blown off. You are paying them they must provide adequate service as a result.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 06-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
    sobannon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sobannon HB User

I, as well, had a VERY fussy baby. He had reflux, along with a late case of colic. I would recommend some of the Hyland's colic tablets or timing gas drops with feedings. I would certainly entertain the idea of food allergies, and begin to keep a food diary to dictate his reaction to foods, and more importantly new foods. I now have a happy 16 month old, but he certainly has a personality all his own. I also got the "some babies are fussier than others" lecture, and I know I acted like a neurotic mother. You surely deserve a full assessment of the situation. If you don't feel like you are getting a thorough assessment of your child's symptoms, find another pediatrician. You are mom, you are with your child 24 hours a day and you know in your heart what is right. Stand up for your child, parents are the only advocates for these little folks who can't stand up for themselves.

Amy

Closed Thread