It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• chantix

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #46
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
    Re: chantix

I'm starting chantix tomorrow.GP prescribed it today.This site was very informative.

My GP made sure that I was stopping for me and not because my neuro told me to or family pressuring me.I told him I was doing it for me and no one else.

I'm really hoping this helps as I have tried cold turkey,patches,gum and anything else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #47
    velveeta
    (female)

velveeta HB User

Congrats to you Daddymatt!! Seven days is Great. Do Not give those days back to the demon. They are yours!! Everytime you are tempted just breath in real deep and enjoy it. I still do that. One craving at a time or you will get overwhelmed. The more time under your belt the easier it gets but can still bite at times. You are doing great keep it up!!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #48
    bzdz1128
    (male)

bzdz1128 HB User

Thanks Velveeta for the doctor advice- I'll let you know how it goes on Fri. daddymatt-Keep up the great work, one minute becomes one hour becomes one week bcomes one month.You are doing great I also have dreams about people I haven't thought about in years so clear too. It is sort of fun.
    They say food tastes better, but now that I can taste what things really taste like, I don't like a lot of stuff I liked before. Mostly junk food- fruit really doesn't taste too bad! I've lost about 25 lbs. since March
    Well every one keep up the good work and thanks for being there!
    Bob

Old 06-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #49
    daddymatt
    (male)

daddymatt HB User

Thanks, folks.
    I will write more later.
    DaddyMatt

Old 06-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #50
    nina11
    (female)

nina11 HB User
    Smile Re: chantix

Way to go, Matt!

Hang in there and congratulations on your success...you WILL make it!

I actually tested myself last nite by tasting my hubby's cig....did not inhale but immediately had to go an rinse my mouth. It tasted HORRIBLE!

I am resisting being a born again non smoker but now I now how we annoyed other people!

Have one more day to go on 1 mg. of Chantix before I switch to 1/2 mg. per day for two weeks. Am really experiencing insommnia but would rather have that than be smoking!

Tylenol Simply Sleep (Benadryl) helps.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #51
    nina11
    (female)

nina11 HB User

CORRECTION: "Now I know how we really annoyed other people"

Old 06-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #52
    iluvthtre
    (male)

iluvthtre HB User
    Smile Re: chantix

Hi All!
    Just want to relate my experience with Chantix. I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 20 years. I had a smokers cough for the last 4 years, and knew I just had to quit. On top of the cost of cigarettes, I spent another $1.25 a day on cough drops. I perform in community theatre as a hobby, and worried about coughing on stage even with the cough drops. My brother told me about Chantix, he had tried 3 or 4 times in the last year or 2 to quit, using the patch, the gum, hypnotherapy, etc. He was amazed how well Chantix worked and how easy it was. He is clean for over 6 months now. I asked my doctor at the VA about it, and she told me that the VA didn't carry it, but that she could write a prescription for it as long as I was prepared to pay for it myself. No problem, I figured it was cheaper than smoking. As much as I wanted to quit, I was thinking I would still have a real struggle. Was I ever wrong.
    Halfway through the first week I found myself putting out the cigarette half smoked, or going much longer between smokes without realizing it. Still apprehensive, I smoked my last one Saturday night and went to bed. Got up Sunday morning, went to light up with my coffee, and realized this was my quit date, and said no. I wanted it, but forgot about it in just a minute. I battled the habit thing for a few days, but thats all it was. No CRAVING, none of the NICOTINE CRAVING that had plagued me when I tried to quit before, the physical rush to get out of the airport so you could light up, the digging through the ash tray for butts, none of that.
    It has been about 2 months now, I am proud that I quit, my family and friends are so proud of me, my house and car no longer stink, my cough is almost completely gone. I had absolutely no side effects, except for nausea when I forgot to eat first. I have just a few pills left, I am going to take them one a day to taper off, and not refill my prescription. I am a NON-SMOKER! I have told at least 100 people about Chantix, am writing to the VA to encourage them to carry it to help their veterans quit, and have told my pharmacist how great it works. I want everyone to know that it is so much superior to every other quit smoking program there is. I hope this message encourages everyone, if you really want to quit, this will do it for you with a minimum of effort.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #53
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hi, Nina Keep us posted on how your wean goes. I took my last Chantix a week ago after about a three-week wean and generally feel *okay.* I believe I may have had a few bouts of anxiety since stopping the med (I've never had issues with anxiety before, so I'm not positive), but nothing that lasted too long.

I hear you on not becoming an obnoxious ex-smoker. I refuse to do it.

Daddymatt, how's it going? You're up to what, day 9, 10 now? So glad your nose has been reborn. It ain't all roses, let me tell you. I had no idea how stinky my dogs were ... and gassy, too !! Man, I miss the dreams. In the week that I've been off the med, I've actually considered reinstituting a half-milligram not for any cravings, not for, um, "regularity," not for taking the edge off stress; I MISS the dreams!!! I still had them with only a half-milligram per day. So vivid and just unusual. Luckily I never had a nightmare on Chantix, otherwise, I might be singing a different tune. The evenings get better, Matt. Slowly but surely. They're still my least favorite part of the day, but after, what, 37, 38 days, it's starting to feel "normal" not to smoke during that time. Thankfully it's staying light out so late now, it's easy to do something outside or in the backyard until like nine o'clock now.

Greetings, Nuffs3!!! Fantastic news about another soon-to-be ex-smoker. You'll definitely do it. Keep your motivational reminders close at hand. Come here to vent or if you have questions. Everyone here is going or has gone through every step you're about to take. The time will fly by, too. It seems like yesterday that my mom and hubby told me it's time to quit and we're all going to do it with this new med. That was almost two months ago, DH & I are already off the med and close to six weeks smoke-free.

Bob, great to have you here!!! Kudos to losing 25 pounds. Man, that's awesome. Talk about kicking a few monkeys off the back. Junk food doesn't taste the same to me either, but with all the gum I'm chewing, fruit burns my mouth. I sure am loving foods, tho. Had a smoky-Gouda mac & cheese (actually from Cooking Light magazine), roast beef with a veal demi-glace, green beans with dill and a pinot from Oregon last night. It was like eating for the first time, I'll tell you. It's unreal what smoking did to our tastebuds. And I can afford veal demi-glace from Williams-Sonoma now with all the savings from not smoking ... yippee!!! Let us know how you do with cutting back on the med. My DH couldn't tolerate it at all. He stopped the med completely after he'd been on it for right around three weeks. I knew I didn't want to be on it one second longer than I absolutely had to, so I quit the med once I'd been smoke-free a month. I did a wean, as so many are having problems just stopping the med cold turkey. So far, so good!

Hope this isn't TMI, but I think all regular/heavy smokers experienced this. You know that nasty stuff we all coughed up as smokers? I called it lung butter, although it was never the color of butter. More like a brown substance with even darker brown "specks" running all through it? I'd get a mouthful of this garbage almost every time I'd hack with that smoker's cough. I coughed a couple days ago (not like the regular smoker's cough -- just a normal cough one might have) and up came a bit of "stuff." It was clear!!! Can you believe how quickly our bodies heal ourselves? I thought I'd be coughing that stuff up for years.

Happy Hump Day, all

Old 06-28-2007, 05:16 AM   #54
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Iluvthtre, hello & welcome

What a great post! I can personally identify with so much of it, like putting out smokes when they were halfway done and not rooting through garbage cans looking for butts those first few days quit. This is my first quit where I haven't done that.

I, too, was a 2 pack a day smoker; sometimes more, actually. I went through a carton in four days, and I smoked the long ones, the Virginia Slims 120s. I started smoking when I was 14, and I'm 35 now. I can totally relate to all the "masks" we had to buy. I work in court and depositions as the silent "record keeper," and coughing was a huge no-no. So few of the lawyers and judges smoke anymore, I positively reeked after a break, so I'd have to actually wash hands and cover myself with sprays, then a mint or cough drop. And I knew it didn't help all that much.

A judge who's a personal friend of mine talked to me once about smoking. He'd read something that he sort of agreed with and it just struck a nerve with me (in a sort of good, motivational way). He believed smoking was going to kill a big portion of the middle class. The poor can't afford cigarettes; the rich are too "educated" to smoke (that one really hit home for me). That leaves the middle class who are the majority of smokers.

Over the years, I'd thought about his comments and had found them a bit disturbing, almost morbid and, at times, insensitive. But what's important is I was thinking about what he said. Next time I see him, I want to thank him. As dark as his comments were, they were a bit of an eye-opener.

Stay strong in your quit!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #55
    bzdz1128
    (male)

bzdz1128 HB User

Hey everyone! I went to my doctor today to talk about weening off Chantix and the side effects I was experiencing. I am not to happy with him. He told me the side effects, depression, tiredness and aching muscles, could not be from Chantix and wanted to prescribe an anti-depressant. I said no and he told me I shouldn't listen to the people here because NONE of his other patients have had these side effects. He also said you do not have to ween off Chantix, But if I quit after 4 months I probably will start smoking again. Do doctors get kick backs from drug companies?

I am going to ween myself off, not going to start smokng again and not take antidepressants! Wish me luck! Thanks for being there!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:58 AM   #56
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm sorry, Bob, about the trouble you're having with your doctor. Maybe he should visit Pfizer's own Chantix "feedback" forum they've created? I truly don't understand why doctors don't LISTEN to their patients. My friend complained about joint and muscle pain for a year after starting Lipitor, and her doctor said the same thing, that it's impossible that the pain came from Lipitor.

Now it's a listed side effect and included in its marketing. She'll have a limp for the rest of her life because her physician dismissed her complaints.

FWIW, I lost my physician over Chantix, too, but I figure best to have these things happen now with prescriptions and paper than to realize what kind of incompetent doctor I had when something serious happened.

I sent DH to him to get an rx for Chantix. This all happened at the same time we were applying for an individual health insurance policy. He never touched DH, never even asked him to remove his clothes, yet dictated in his note that DH has a history of skin cancer. He has no history of skin cancer. We find this out when our insurance application is rejected. DH calls the doc's office (mind you, this is my doctor of 12 years) and firmly requests the doc to amend his office note, as it was incorrect and has now caused us to have a rejection on our record for insurance.

Doc amends his note to include the words, "After close physical examination, multiple lesions appear on the patient's back and shoulders." Umm...hello? Hubby never removed his clothing for you to see this. Anyway, insurance companies don't like these notes, either, so we're uninsurable now.

Oh, and this doc sends us certified letter "dropping" the both of us from his practice. His nurse said it was a personal decision of his, but it was obviously more than that if all of his affiliated practices and physicians won't see us either. It's about 60 physicians in this group.

All this so my hubby could get an rx to help him quit smoking

So, yeah, be wary. Listen to yourself and try and find a doctor who listens to you.

Best of luck & congrats on staying quit!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #57
    bzdz1128
    (male)

bzdz1128 HB User

Thanks a lot stenolady for sharing your experience. I will look for a new doctor. Being a fellow Floridian, you know the challenges with Florida doctors- it seems most of them don't like to be questioned and would rather be playing golf! We'll see what happens. I started half tablets of Chantix today. Thanks again- better get to Publix for some of those Turkey sausages- I've been thinking about them since I read your post yesterday!
    Bob

Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #58
    velveeta
    (female)

velveeta HB User

Yo Bob, The way I weaned was 1 blue pill a day and when I got comfy with that I split the 1 pill in half and took one in the am and one in the pm. When I got comfy with that I took one half blue pill in the am. When I got comfy with that I took a half every other day and then just got off when I felt ready. Good Luck Bob! Doing it on my own today. Pure will power.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #59
    bzdz1128
    (male)

bzdz1128 HB User

Thanks velveeta- Flying solo huh? Let me now how you did.I am so excited for you!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #60
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You're not kidding, Bob. I see we're at two opposite corners of FL (Jax here), but it doesn't matter.

Don't forget, too, if you begin a slow wean and feel badly or feel it's too soon or get some mighty cravings, you can always go back to the dosage you'd been on.

Every time I'd bump down a half pill, I'd know my box of Chantix was right close by if I had trouble. Surprisingly, I never needed it. Hopefully you'll feel the same when you start to take those training wheels off, too!

Enjoy those sausages

Closed Thread