It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

• Twitching...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
    Teresa1974
    (female)

Teresa1974 HB User
    Twitching...

I am wonder if the 'twitching' symptom of ALS is a constant twitching of one or more areas or if it is a random sporadic twitching throughout different areas of your body.
    For about 6 months I have had random twitching, more frequently in some areas (left thigh, etc.). I have also had periodic muscle pain - like a charlie horse in one spot on my left calf and one spot on my left thigh. This comes and goes. There is also numbness on the left side of my face but no loss of muscle movement. 6 months ago I saw two neurologists who did an MRI then basically told me I was crazy. Too young for ALS they said (I'm 32) and my symptoms didn't warrant additional tests.
    Anyway - just wondering what the 'twitching' in ALS is really like so I can (hopefully) cross it off my list of concerns.
    THANKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 01:59 AM   #2
    mironUK
    (male)

mironUK HB User
    Re: Twitching...

Hi,

This is extremely unlikely to be ALS with twitching for 6 months without presence of weakness and muscles wastage. ALS is a (relatively) rapidly progressive disease so in 6 months you would’ve developed other symptoms as well. I’ve also been told by my doctor and read on other forums that random twitches are not typical for ALS.

Regards,
    Alex.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
    cappy7
    (male)

cappy7 HB User

Have you been tested for Lyme Disease? If not, I would consider getting tested. The symptoms you explained are typical of Lyme disease.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
    nick89
    (male)

nick89 HB User

have you taken any fluoroquinolone antibiotics? such as cipro levaquin,avelox,etc. what you are describing are classic side effects.

Last edited by nick89; 01-17-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
    Teresa1974
    (female)

Teresa1974 HB User

I wasn't on any of those antibiotics and they did run one test for lyme. The twitching is pretty much the most irritating thing - though the numb face is concerning.
    When you run "twitching" through the computer you inevitably get ALS. So I wanted to know thw specific type of "twitching" associated with ALS. And I don't have dents in my muscles and I'm still walking okay so I guess I probably don't have ALS. Just another weird twitching disorder.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
    Reflective
    (male)

Reflective HB User

First of all, if the neurologists implied you were crazy for thinking you had ALS, it should've been crossed off your list of concerns immediately.

Second, numbness is definitely not a characteristic of ALS. Nor is pain, for that matter. From reading your posts I get the sense you do not understand what ALS is. Please stay away from internet searches of twitching, or it will cause needless concern. Given the 6 months you've been having it, twitching by itself has no relevance to ALS, unless accompanied by some other major tell-tale signs/symptoms.

Last edited by Reflective; 01-18-2007 at 03:04 AM.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
    Teresa1974
    (female)

Teresa1974 HB User

That you for your informative reply. All of the information about ALS online is so conflicting - you can almost subscribe any illness to it. There's numbness- there's not; there's muscle pain - there's not; the twitching is in one area - the twitching is everywhere.... That's why I posted. I wake up twitching every morning and randomly twitch throughout the day and certain places twitch more. I just wanted an answer to what ALS twitching actually is.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
    Teresa1974
    (female)

Teresa1974 HB User

By the number of views on this post I am guessing a lot of people wonder about twitching... I guess it's not all that uncommon of an issue. Wish you didn't see it whenever you ran 'twitching' through google. Scares the crap out of people!!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:28 AM   #9
    mironUK
    (male)

mironUK HB User

Agree... I had a few truly horrible weeks before ALS was ruled out by tests...
    I also had dizziness so combination dizziness+twitching always gave "multiple sclerosis" as a result of search...

Old 06-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
    Want2feelgood
    Inactive
    (female)

Want2feelgood HB User

Teresa,
    I just wanted to let you know that I have been going through all the same symptoms as you, and so far I am just classified as having anxiety (which I already knew), LOL. But in any case, I just wanted to let you know that I to get twitching, mostly in my rt foot, calf & upper thigh. However I also get facial numbness, but my Doc thinks that is more to do with TMJ. I guess what happens is, because I do have an anxiety issue I tend to get anxious then our muscles tend to tighten up (including the jaw) once our muscle get all tight we start to develop all the other symptoms, such as: Muscle twitching, facial numbness, lower back pain, neck tension etc... So it's like a chain of events that is happening. Like now for the past week or so, I have been dealing with the whole bunch of symptoms, but I have to look back and remember what's going on in my life that may be causing it (14 year old daughter, need I say more) LOL.
    So anyway, your symptoms sound like all of mine, and so far no one has told me I have MS or ALS, THANK GOD!!! I have had blood test, Catscan of the brain etc... I do get migraines as well, which will cause other symptoms that I have such as visual issues, and facial numbness, and the Headaches... So... I don't know if you get migraines, but if you do, that could be the cause of some of your problems as well.
    Well, I know I didn't work miracles for you, but I hope it helps you to now that you are not alone and there are MANY of us out here with all the same symptoms....
    Stay well, and God bless
    Lynn

Last edited by Want2feelgood; 06-30-2007 at 07:50 AM.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
    marky1956
    (male)

marky1956 HB User

For all those concerned = so a search on "BFS" (benign fascillation syndrome) and it will ease all of your fears. Millions (literally) suffer from BFS at one time in their life, which is brought on by any number of things. The twitching associated with ALS comes very late in the disease, after the weakness has already set in. These twitches are also very, very light twitches beneath the skin, and NOT the random twitching, muscle jumping we all experience. I had several months of the "ALS Scare" after searching the internet, and ultimately realized that the twitching is fairly normal and nothing to worry about.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
    2depressed2tell
    (female)

2depressed2tell HB User

I have the same symptoms and was tested for ALS. The doctor believes I have cramp fisiculation syndrome (aka benign fisiculation syndrome). My doctor also mentioned that caffeine and stress make it worse. When I cut down on my caffeine I noticed a big difference.

Hope this helps.

Teresa

Closed Thread