It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• My Mom diagnosed with terminal Stage Colon Cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #16
    LESLIETOO
    (female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User
    Re: My Mom diagnosed with terminal Stage Colon Cancer

Please don't be upset with yourself. None of us knew anything when we started our cancer journeys. You have to kind of feel your way along this treacherous, roller coaster path of being either a cancer patient or a cancer caregiver. We are all here to help you in any way we can. Before you go into an appointment, write down the most important things you need to ask the MD. That will help keep you focused during the consult. Have you considered that perhaps your mother knows more than she has been telling you, trying to shield and protect you?

Best Wishes
    Leslie

Last edited by LESLIETOO; 07-06-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 AM   #17
    shnswms
    Inactive
    (male)

shnswms HB User

wow, I have never heard of something so negligent. There is no spread to other organs and he is putting your mom on hospice? Please get a second opinion ASAP. There are so many treatment options out there. There is not significant node involvement either, which is good. best of luck

Old 07-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #18
    RouxWoman
    (female)

RouxWoman HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your dear mother. I, too, went throught the same shock when they told us that my husband did not have long to live. It seems like it is a dream, not happening to you. Nothing will feel the same any longer. But you can do something, and that is in knowing that you did everything you could do to help save her life. If you have not had second opinion, please do so. You will feel better. It is a part of doing all you can.
    Spend quality time with your mother. Be there for her (as I know you are) and listen to whatever she tells you.

You sound like a loving daughter, that your mother is very proud of. Sometimes life seems so unfair. We are not prepared to loose the ones we love.

Pray, and ask GOD to help you and your mother. Stay close to good friends who are there for you. Take time to be by yourself. Take walks just to think, pray and clear your head.

You will experience may changes, but the one thing that will remain is your love and memories you and your mother shared. It will NEVER stop hurting, but GOD in his wisdom gave us a very precious gift, and that is the gift of time. In time the pain will subside, and that time will allow you to pass through the acute pain and to another place where you can accept what has happened and go on with your life as your beloved mother would want you to do.

Praying for your mother, and for you.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #19
    Amkattil980
    (female)

Amkattil980 HB User

I'm here to offer you hope! I was (key word WAS) diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer. Mine spread to my liver, making it stage 4. That was almost six years ago. I have been cancer free since after my surgery in 2002. DO NOT LOSE HOPE....instead, lose that grim reaper doctor. Nobody should give out timelines like that. Second opinions are a great way to find a doctor that wants to fight the good fight!

I hope things work out for you. I'm new to this board but felt I needed to find a way to "give back" to others facing what I faced.

Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 AM   #20
    Nassau one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

What a wonderful post! It is so encouraging to hear stories of people who were diagnosed with advanced colorectal cancer and are still doing well today....we need to hear more like this to encourage those who have been told that nothing more can be done. Sometimes this is true but it is always worth seeking another opinion and ensuring that everything has been tried before "giving up"

Old 07-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #21
    alliej
    (female)

alliej HB User

I hope that they have talked to you about any surgical options. I know everyones story is different, but for many people dealing with a cancer diagnosis surgery is the only way to get rid of the tumors. My husband was diagnosed in November 06 with stage IV colon cancer with lymph node and other organ involvement. He has had two surgeries and currently his scans do not show any evidence of cancer. Even so he is still undergoing chemo in case there is residual cells hanging around. Needless to say the point is to please not give up and do not accept the answers you get from one doctor. Good luck and take care.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #22
    Lulubells
    Veteran
    (female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

When my mother was diagnosed with colon cancer, they immediately wanted her to have surgery without even considering she was 81 years old, skinny as a rain and extreemly fragile. We all knew she would not survive the surgery and so did she so she refused the surgery. They said she would only last a year without it but she lasted 17 months. They predicted a horriable, painful death but her pain was managed with OTC drugs until the last few days of her life.

My Mom was a trip! She knew she was dying and we talked about it. She always said "I have lived my life and I am ready to go!". She died peacefully, at home in her own bed with her cat and dog by her side.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #23
    Nassau one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

That is such a touching story...thanks for sharing. It shows that we still can be in control of our destiny to a point. How nice that your mother could be so open about her illness and that she died peacefully.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #24
    jojo54
    (female)

jojo54 HB User

Hi My mom had colon cancer last June.and did not want chemo so shes had a pretty good year, this week she had a pet scan and they say its back in the colon the liver and a nodule on her lungs, they said they wont do surgery and she will not have chemo,she is 74 yrs old smoke 80 cigs a day and weighs abot 101, the drs say 6-9 months more or less and they are ready to order hospice when I say the word. She says shes lived her life on her terms and will go when the good lord is ready. Ive also been in shock this week..I live in Mn and she is in Alabama,its very hard to decide what to do and when to do it.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #25
    cjjimenez
    (female)

cjjimenez HB User

My son was dx with stage111 colon cancer in nov 05 He also had 15 of 15 nodes involved and his cancer was poorly differentiated. After having his rection in nov05 and recieving his chemo for 7 monthes. It was a very long and hard road for both of us because he also has autism. if you could think of how much harder that would make treatments. how ever hard as you think that could be I would multiply that x 10, but Im happy to say that he hasnt had any treatment since july 06 ,and he still has no singns of recurrance. It will be 2 years in nov since his dxand he remains ned. In the beginning they didnt what to give him a chance. But he has made it through the storm. I pray that he will continue to stay well.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #26
    bmccrea
    (female)

bmccrea HB User

CJ, That sounds wonderful. As long as there is life, there is always hope.

Pittsburgh Flye, how is your mom doing now? Any changes? Any new scans done lately?

I'm sorry that insurance is an issue with her. If you are in PA, have you considered Cancer Centers of America in Philadelphia? I've heard great things about them.

As for me, I finished chemo in January 2007, then immediately went to Tijuana Mexico to start on an herbal tonic and special diet, other herb capsule, and have a lot of hope that this alternative treatment will keep the keep the big bad "C" word away forever, with help from God, of course.

Mine was diagnosed in March of 06, stage 3C, 7 of 18 lymph nodes positive, moderately diff. Took 12 FOLFOX treatments. Had more problems with nerves than anything else. Tests run this past April and May, everything normal then. Another scan due in October.

I wish your Mom well . Please keep us posted.

B.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #27
    backslide05
    Veteran
    (female)

backslide05 HB User
    Question Re: My Mom diagnosed with terminal Stage Colon Cancer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmccrea;31***19
    CJ, That sounds wonderful. As long as there is life, there is always hope.

Pittsburgh Flye, how is your mom doing now? Any changes? Any new scans done lately?

I'm sorry that insurance is an issue with her. If you are in PA, have you considered Cancer Centers of America in Philadelphia? I've heard great things about them.

As for me, I finished chemo in January 2007, then immediately went to Tijuana Mexico to start on an herbal tonic and special diet, other herb capsule, and have a lot of hope that this alternative treatment will keep the keep the big bad "C" word away forever, with help from God, of course.

Mine was diagnosed in March of 06, stage 3C, 7 of 18 lymph nodes positive, moderately diff. Took 12 FOLFOX treatments. Had more problems with nerves than anything else. Tests run this past April and May, everything normal then. Another scan due in October.

I wish your Mom well . Please keep us posted.

B.

B--

I would like to ask you about the herbal treatments you are taking and how that is going. My hubby was dx'd in April of 07 stage 3C with 12/36 nodes, well to moderately differentiated, and is currently undergoing the Folfox chemo (he's on #5). He also has blood clots in his leg and lungs which I attribute to the chemo. Other than that, he's handling the chemo pretty ok.
    How are you feeling after the chemo? any long term effects, i.e. the nerve stuff?
    I wish you the best in your continued recovery

Old 09-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #28
    tillyden
    (female)

tillyden HB User

I am so sorry that you and your family are having to go through this. You really do need to get second opion. It is not over until it is over. I was dx stage 4, terminal, Feb 2004. Still doing good and no treatment for 2 years. Were are these tumor that you are speaking of. Did she get more in the colon or did it spread to the liver, lung, adomail. Please let us know as we may be able to give you more information. You have to keep spirts up, rely on your faith, and do not give up. I was down to 92 pounds, but have made great progress. You need to find doctor who is willing to help you. I was told I would be dead in 6 months. went for second opinon, and found a doctor who cared. I asked him what my chance were and he said I wouldn't be doing anything if I didn't think it would work. God bless

Old 09-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #29
    Annie0918
    (female)

Annie0918 HB User

Hi,
    I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. Try and stay strong for yourself and for her. I truly know first hand how hard that can be. My twin sister was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer las October. She went through her rounds of chemo and surgery was not possible. She went into pre-remmission for 4 weeks and then all came back in new spots. She is in second line of chemo and we found out last week(due to her headaches that she has a tumor in the base of her brain. She will be doing the Gamma Knife here in Atlanta this Wednesday. So I know how you feel. She is my twin, but also my best freind.
    I try and stay strong and think positive thoughts and pray alot.

Take care ad my prayers are with you ad your Mom

Last edited by moderator2; 09-29-2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Closed Thread