It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Are You Getting Enough Natural Vitamin D-Maybe Not

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #16
    kkl
    (female)

kkl HB User
    Re: Are You Getting Enough Natural Vitamin D-Maybe Not

Hi,

I posted a while back regarding low vit. D. I was found to have low D levels, and my endo put me on high doses of D (50,000IU/week) for a month. My levels went back up to normal (32) and I stopped taking the high doses of D, but was told to take a maintenance dose of Citracal every day. It turns out that this was not enough. I started getting an achy tired feeling in my legs. My Dr. ran some blood tests and voila, my levels are low again. I think for some of us we just have problems absorbing Vitamin D.

DesertBloom - You mentioned you are getting sun/Vit D by driving in your car, but actually the glass windows are probably filtering out the UVA/UVB rays so you are not triggering any vit D synthesis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 04:19 AM   #17
    Turquoise
    (female)

Turquoise HB User

KKL:
    Being on D for one month seems way to short a time to get the level up and keep it there especially if you have a chronic deficiency. I started on 50000 units of D3 2 years ago. My level at that time was 18...the range is some where around 30-100. Almost at once I noticed my nails started growing when I always had horrible nails. Now I've noticed how fast my hair grows and it's getting thicker. Have my bones benefited? That's debateable but I think they are stonger even though the dexa can't show it.

To be on that much D3 you have to have blood tests to check the levels a couple of times a year. My D is now at around 50 which is still in the lower end of the range. Experts are finding new terrific things about vitamin D every day. Seems to benefit almost all systems in the body. A recent report said it may reduce the risk of developing cancer.
    Good luck,
    Turquoise

Old 07-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #18
    kkl
    (female)

kkl HB User

Turquoise -

My levels were also at 18 before my endo. placed me on the 50,000IU for one month. How long were you on high dose supplements? The last lab result showed that my D levels fell back to 23 and my endo now wants me to take the high dose supplements for two months. I'm not osteoporotic, but I'm losing bone in my jaw. My dentists can't find a real reason. I suppose it's possible that the lack of D might be causing the problem.

I'm also in braces, because my bite is terrible. A few dentists thought that my bite might be contributing to the bone loss. Now, I have to stop moving my teeth until I get my D levels stabilized.

Are you still taking high dose supplements? If not, what are you doing to keep your D levels up?

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
    Turquoise
    (female)

Turquoise HB User

Yes, I've been on that 50000 unit dose two years and still take it. Sounds like you need to be on a regular dose of D from now on. As long as you have blood work to check your level I believe it safe.
    Turquoise

Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #20
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

KKl-Your D levels are just like mine were earlier this year. Also your story on doses to get the d up is virtually identical to mine. Except I haven't fallen back. I think it would be an eye opening experience for you to go to a site -vitamindcouncil- just run the words together as I did and search on it. Check out the whole site it is fascinating but most importantly the treatment section.
    Now with my new docs approval , an endo with a bone specialization,I am continuing a dose of 5,000 a day.I started this high dose myself, although I don't suggest people do that because you could go hypercalcemic. You should be checked and supervised. I am presently at a vit d level of 42. But, because I haven't been on the 5,000 yet for that long, slightly over a month, the doc told me that I probably haven't hit where I will be on that dose yet. So we will re-test in about a month.

I too wondered if maybe I had some metabolic defect and could not process the d supplements I was taking (my previous doc wondered too and I had an endoscopy and was tested for celiac-no prob. found). Also I suspected that I had bought some ineffective vit d supplements.I bought other supplements. My new doc said falling off in d level from Aug to Feb was a given on a dose of 800Iu and moving to 1200(,esp at a high latitude ) was totally inadequate-enough to only move the d level two points. I went from 19 - to20 on that increase. He said it was a given that it would not be adequate. With my prior doc,I had one course of treatment with 50,000iu vit d 2 over approx. six weeks one pill a week. The mega dose the docs prescribe is vit d 2 and considered inferior by the vit d council to vit d 3.
    At the vit d council they do talk about vit d2 and vit d 3 check it out. I would not be maintained on vit d2 50,000 because of what I read. You can get that dose also of vit d 3 but you won't find it at the local drug retail store. Again, check out what the vit d council made up of world class academic md and phd researchers has to say. In their links there is a vitd source with fda inspected facilities.

One other note, my new doc has a questioning mind regarding some of the places that the d research is going- questioning though is good for a doc so I am very ok with that.So it becomes just a question of what level do the two of us settle on as the target d level. You will see how some researchers find that low d is being implicated in various diseases incl. multiple sclerosis, lupus and other autoimmune disease, various cancers etc.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #21
    kkl
    (female)

kkl HB User

Osteoblast - thanks. I will look at the VitD council web site.

Osteoblast and Turquoise - Other than the osteoporosis diagnosis, were there other clinical symptoms that have since improved since being on the vit d supplements? I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia several years back although I did not fit the fibro profile completely. I'm sure that a lot of my aches and pains were really due to Vit D deficiency.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:19 PM   #22
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

I am taking supplemental d and also iron right now. I have had recent significant improvement with night pain in my legs. This had been going on for the past 5 years or so, not constant but somewhat regular. In the past month or so , almost none of this. So, it's a question whether it is the d or iron as both are now so much improved , though some way to go yet on both.

Again, I think you should look at the vitamindcouncil site because they suspect d deficiency connection to alot of diseases. The scientists on the council are world class--it is not a bogus site . I do not recall if fibromyalgia was listed there but you should check it out. Let us know if you find some connection.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
    AngieNYC
    (female)

AngieNYC HB User

My last blood test showed my Vitamin D, 25-OH total at a 12. The reference range starts at 20. I have an appt with an endocrinologist next week, hopefully she will give me some advice on what to take, right now i'm taking Vit D 1000 a day, plus my regular vitamins. This is in addition to all my other medical drama, with malaborption being the main culprit.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #24
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Angie- it is my understanding that if you have a malabsorption prob. this will affect your using the d vit supplement that you ingest. This was suspected in my case, as I also had low iron and bone loss. So I had the celiac blood test and upper endocscopy. Have you been tested for celiac and have you had an endoscopy?

I couldn't get any movement in my d at 19 with 1200IU of d it went one point.
    I have had to go much higher. Also the vitamin d council thinks pretty poorly of the 50000iu vit d2 prescribed by the docs. Before anyone does the d2 megadose you should learn about the difference between d2 and d3. You can get the d3 in the large doses as well.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #25
    AngieNYC
    (female)

AngieNYC HB User

My Gastro doc just did a colonoscopy, he found nothing except some small hemorrhoids. He wants to do an endoscopy to check for a cause of my anemia, he knows about my malapsorbtion and had mentioned celiac before, so I'm sure he will check thourougly for everything. (My GYN tested me last year and found I carry the alpha-thalassemia trait, so throw that on the list of things blocking my iron absorption. Aaaand I just found out my Dad has the sickle cell trait, so I'm doing all this research in all these different areas, aaaargh).

I had a doctor earlier this year perscribed Hectoral, I was taking it off and on but I'm nervous about it for some reason, so yesterday I went out and bought an over the counter Vitamin D.

I'll also ask my endo doctor about the celica blood test when I see her (for the first time) next week. I also think something is wrong with my thyroid so I want a thorough test on that too.

I also had a bone density done a couple weeks ago, my primary doc informed me that I have Osteopenia.

So yeah the fun just doesnt stop. At what point does all these ailments cancel each other out and I win the lottery and go buy an island somewhere?

Last edited by AngieNYC; 07-17-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #26
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Hey I agree with you about some sort of a prize should be given when you get a bad diagnosis. I was just talking to my dh about that a few weeks ago. It would soften the blow of a bad diagnosis. Sort of like - "Sorry to inform you that you have osteoporosis, hypothyroid etc.........but look on the bright side , you have just won a two week vacation, all expense paid trip to the destination of your choice and because the osteoporosis is severe , you have also won a new set of luggage!!!!"

Sounds like you are getting everything dealt with and that your docs are being thorough. It's alot to go through .

How did the colonoscopy go? That is the next stop for me and I am trying not to think about.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #27
    AngieNYC
    (female)

AngieNYC HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
    Hey I agree with you about some sort of a prize should be given when you get a bad diagnosis. I was just talking to my dh about that a few weeks ago. It would soften the blow of a bad diagnosis. Sort of like - "Sorry to inform you that you have osteoporosis, hypothyroid etc.........but look on the bright side , you have just won a two week vacation, all expense paid trip to the destination of your choice and because the osteoporosis is severe , you have also won a new set of luggage!!!!"

Sounds like you are getting everything dealt with and that your docs are being thorough. It's alot to go through .

How did the colonoscopy go? That is the next stop for me and I am trying not to think about.
    Oh that was fabulous. They knock you right out, then you wake up and don't feel a thing. The only thing I hated was the prep they make you drink the day before, and that you cant eat at all the day before and up until the colonoscopy is over. Turns out I have some small internal hemoroids, he told me to eat some veggies for that. He wants to do an endoscopy next so I have to schedule that.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #28
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Angie- I had the endoscopy already and it sounds like what you experienced with the colonoscopy-nothing. And as you know you don't have the yucky prep. Good luck with the procedure. So eating veggies is the treatment for hemeroids that's interesting. I know this is a weird question, but prior to the colonoscopy was it embarassing , creepy, uncomfortable while they got you ready?? These things bother me.

My colonoscopy has to be re-scheduled because I have just gone through a week of something like a stomach flu with having no ability to keep food in me . No nausea , no fever , no cramping just the runs. So, the idea of prepping for the colonoscopy in 6 days is out of the picture. My pcp has run a whole battery of tests to see what is going on. The blood results show nothing-and the other tests will be in tomorrow. While things seem to be returning to normal, I have lost two pounds. It's not much but I want to get back to a steady state before re-commencing the purge.

Last edited by osteoblast; 07-24-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Closed Thread