It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• xanax vs. lexapro (benzo vs. anti-depressant)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #16
    zeyavia
    (female)

zeyavia HB User
    Re: xanax vs. lexapro (benzo vs. anti-depressant)

i had a typo...i mean im just NOW getting used to the xanax..instead of NOT which is what i wrote
    i did talk to him...he said xanax shouldnt be used long term due to addiction but said if it helps then that is good...that is the goal...he said go ahead and take one a day or two...i dont know
    i mean just now i took my daughter to the store and had no anxiety...she was being bad and yes i yelled at her and smacked her before we left cause i told her like ten times NO and she didnt listen...but i didnt get all nervous and anxious...felt like i could handle it
    the lex though i want to level me out...i am sad sometimes and depressed
    the doc said to try the lexapro...
    so there is nothing to be scared of then??

Last edited by zeyavia; 07-04-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #17
    Myspirit4
    (female)

Myspirit4 HB User

There's nothing wrong with trying the medication (Lexapro) to see if it helps. It might be the answer for you....but you won't know until you give it a try.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #18
    zeyavia
    (female)

zeyavia HB User

well i took a lex...wish me luck

Old 07-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #19
    Myspirit4
    (female)

Myspirit4 HB User

Good Luck! Let us know how it works for you....give it a good 4 weeks to get a good idea.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #20
    zeyavia
    (female)

zeyavia HB User

IM HAVING A BIT OF ANXIETY NOW BUT ITS JUST MY MIND AND NOT THE PILL...im sure...

Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 AM   #21
    mysticohl
    Inactive
    (female)

mysticohl HB User

Please keep us posted with how the Lexapro is going. I'm supposed to be starting on it in a few days and I am nervous about the anxiety, hair loss, weight gain and loss of sexual drive. =\ Why do we have to suffer that crap when the panic is bad enough?

Last edited by mysticohl; 07-11-2007 at 01:20 AM.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #22
    zeyavia
    (female)

zeyavia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mysticohl View Post
    Please keep us posted with how the Lexapro is going. I'm supposed to be starting on it in a few days and I am nervous about the anxiety, hair loss, weight gain and loss of sexual drive. =\ Why do we have to suffer that crap when the panic is bad enough?
    well the first few days on the lex were fine...i used the xanax only once a day NOW however i have used it twice a day
    i can FEEL when the xanax is gone out of my body..i get real anxious and i dont know if that is my regular anxiety or the lex making me more nervous
    i feel bad taking a pill like xanax when i used to be so scared of it..now i treat it like its nothing...WHICH SCARES ME...i mean id never take more than i should but its something ive gotten used to...i just wanna taper off but if i have to use it till the lex works then i will i guess

Old 07-13-2007, 01:17 AM   #23
    mysticohl
    Inactive
    (female)

mysticohl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeyavia View Post
    well the first few days on the lex were fine...i used the xanax only once a day NOW however i have used it twice a day
    i can FEEL when the xanax is gone out of my body..i get real anxious and i dont know if that is my regular anxiety or the lex making me more nervous
    i feel bad taking a pill like xanax when i used to be so scared of it..now i treat it like its nothing...WHICH SCARES ME...i mean id never take more than i should but its something ive gotten used to...i just wanna taper off but if i have to use it till the lex works then i will i guess

Thanks, zeyavia, I was wondering, what mg you are taking of Lexapro and how long have you taken it? I have heard it could take a few days OR SO to get used to it, then people report feeling good. I hope it works for you. I am still waiting on mine to get to me in the mail. The psychiatrist told me to take my xanax 3 times a day to keep even instead of the 2 (when I get up and when I go to bed unless there are panicky moments during the day and then I grab one!), so I don't wait til I panic to take it. That could be to combat a bit of anxiety that SSRI's give to some people. I dunno. BUT, I will be taking 5 mgs. when I do get them. She wanted me to take 10 but I told her I was sensitive to meds, unless I am panicking and then it's Xanax central. haha.....Anyway, appreciate the reply and please keep them coming!! I need the reassurance. OCD, you see....=\ But the Lexapro is supposed to help me with that too.

PS--Please don't feel badly about taking your Xanax. If it helps, then so be it. I have for 11 years now. I have taken lots to get through the day for awhile and then none. It just depends. I would suggest to keep up with your minimum, but don't torture yourself (I know how that works. You feel brave and less addicted if you try to wait, even with people saying JUST TAKE IT! Even though you don't feel brave in the world...but trying to.). Also, the psychi. doc told me that for now take more Xanax and then with a bit of time on the Lexapro, I would feel less of a need to take the Xanax, and according to some threads on here that I have read, that is right.

Good luck to us both! Keep me posted! =)

Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #24
    zeyavia
    (female)

zeyavia HB User

well let me tell you whats been going on
    i have been on the lex for a little over a week...last night i upped my dose to 5 mg...was taking a quarter of a pill...doc said that wasnt enough
    so far so good BUT i do have more intense attacks...not more of them really but when i do have them they are WORSE
    i told him the xanax just isnt working the way it used to...i am only taking .25 mg and havent been taking it that long at all...or that much of it...so he told me to start buspar instead of upping my dose of xanax...which i was a little surprised...i think im a just pass on the buspar and take the xanax
    buspar takes awhile to get in your system and help and i need relief NOW
    i was thinking of taking a pill and a half of the xanax and see if that helps me any...but then i feel like im upping my dose and isnt that what addicts do but at the same time im thinking that isnt even that much anyway and at once or twice a day its not even a while mg. of the xanax
    and yeah just to get me through till the lex kicks in
    let me know what you think and how you are doing

Old 07-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #25
    hamstachick
    (female)

hamstachick HB User

Quote:
    i dont know what to do
    i have both
    taken the xanax LOVE IT...only taking one a day now .25 might go to two a day...they help me
    should i start the lex or go with the xanax
    dr. said xanax shouldnt be used long term BUT yet i know many ppl he prescribes it to LONG TERM...
    i just dont know what to do

And so how are things going with the Lexapro? You mentioned you were on it a week now. How much are you taking daily? Are you glad you are taking it? I am wondering that if I start mine, if I will have a hard time stopping and if the anxiety will come back when I do get off of it. Is this something ELSE I will have to take for the rest of my life? I am also still so concerned about the side effects. Have you had any?

Still haven't taken mine...but almost did yesterday and almost did today. I wanted to see what you had to say first.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #26
    zeyavia
    (female)

zeyavia HB User

i would take it if i were you...i mean i havent really had any bad side effects
    like i said i had a headache the first few days but you can take aspiren with it...and so i did...plus the headache could have been due to other things...i also was very tired...but once again other things could have contributed to that as well...
    i would start off with 1/4 of a pill...even though ppl told me that was nothing...i got that advice from someone who takes lexapro now and is well into it...and started that way....if you do this then the side effects wont really be on your mind so much
    now after a week im taking half a pill and who knows when i will start taking a whole one...im to take 10 mg....what bout you???
    anyway i mean i feel ok...it takes a month or two to have the max benefit...i still have the xanax to help me...do you have a benzo to go with it???i did/do have increased anxiety but when ppl say that i think they mean ALL THE TIME...ALL DAY and for me its not like that...its just when i DO have an attack...its sooooo much worse...but i have gotten through them and didnt even need a xanax the other day...

Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #27
    Sari05
    Veteran
    (female)

Sari05 HB User
    Wink Re: xanax vs. lexapro (benzo vs. anti-depressant)

Quote:
    i dont know what to do
    i have both
    taken the xanax LOVE IT...only taking one a day now .25 might go to two a day...they help me
    should i start the lex or go with the xanax
    dr. said xanax shouldnt be used long term BUT yet i know many ppl he prescribes it to LONG TERM...
    i just dont know what to do
    I've been on Lexapro before, but I don't remember how I felt when I was on it. Also I have been taking Xanax too, it does help you feel more relaxed.
    You can probably take Lexapro and Xanax together for a while, then go off the Xanax. But the best thing to do is to talk to your doctor about the medication and see what he says, because like another poster said you can't quit Xanax cold turkey. That is true. So I would talk to your doctor about this, and see what he says. That's what I would do.

Last edited by Sari05; 07-19-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: need to add another word.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #28
    jendg28
    (female)

jendg28 HB User

I believe Xanax as all Benzo's, just mask your symptoms. You can also become addicted to them very easily. SSRI's such as Lexapro actually help change your brain chemistry, which is probably giving you your problems in the first place.

Closed Thread