It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Can vegetarian children grow up to be meat-eating adults?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 AM   #16
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User
    Re: Can vegetarian children grow up to be meat-eating adults?

To put it in a nutshell, yes. A child should be able to switch diets from one way of eating to another fine. There could be some digestive issues at first because of the change, but maybe not. There was not for me at all, after being vegetarian over a year and going back to eating meat, but that was only a year or so. My body seemed to need it, and was very happy to get it.

We humans have pretty adaptable digestive systems, though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #17
    AmandaH
    (female)

AmandaH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by evilnumberlady View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think people who eat meat can eat healthy or unhealthy. Same for vegans and vegetarians. There certainly are junk-food vegetarians out there, and I don't recommend that.
    Agreed! I have a cousin who is "vegan" and is probably 75-100 lbs overweight and can't seem to figure out why she is so tired and sluggish all of the time. It just amazes me that she thinks she is healthy because she is vegan, living off of pasta and bread and potatoes.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #18
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

I had a roommate who was raised vegan and never tried meat until she was 22. She became simply addicted to bacon, LOL. Never had a problem with meat or fish.

On the flip side, I was vegan for years, and I can eat meat now, but dairy still gives me problems.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #19
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

There are a couple different types of vegan-ism. Some people like to call them selves vegan cause they feel like they with the "IN" crowd. No matter which type you are if you are a serious about it and doing so not to harm animals you eat a variety of foods not just starches. I aslo know obese people that aclaim the vegan title and gorge on candy, breads, cheese, sugars, gravy's etc. A few of them have said to me, "I'm healthy I must have a thyroid problem." NOT When you eat cheese pizzas 3-4 days a week with soda you are going to gain weight.

Some folks just don't get it. Or don't want to get it.

Vegans eat only foods from plant origins, no foods of animal origin. No eggs, dairy products, or honey.

Lacto ovo vegetarian do not eat meat, fish or poultry, but eat eggs and milk and things made with them like cheese and yogurt.

Lacto vegetarians don't eat meat, fish, poultry or eggs, but will have dairy products in their diet. They'll drink milk, and eat ice cream not made with eggs, and eat yogurt and cheese. They will not eat things that contain eggs like baked goods, pancakes or veggie burgers that contain eggs.

Vegan's do not eat any fish, meat, poultry, eggs, honey, dairy products or foods that contain any of these products.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #20
    wholegrain
    Veteran
    (female)

wholegrain HB User

OP, according to everything I've ever heard and read, there should only be transitional problems if your hypothetical vegetarian children choose to be come omni. If they have any permanent issues eating meat, I'd venture to guess they are probably problems with their bodies that would have been there no matter what diet they were raised on.

In my personal experience, I experienced digestive issues somewhat after reintroducing meat into my diet but they dissolved over time. I still do not tolerate eating large amounts of meat, but I'm guessing that intolerance even with physical symptoms, is largely psychological.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:11 AM   #21
    evilnumberlady
    (female)

evilnumberlady HB User

I think I'm going to go to a forum with a bit less vegan-bashing. Thanks to those that actually legitimately answered my question and didn't use it as a platform to make up stories and/or say nasty unprovoked things about how "unhealthy" vegans are. I have already done enough research to know that a vegan diet is healthy, and in my opinion one that tends to be healthier than meat-eating. I was asking about something else.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #22
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

evilnumberlady,

There are people with lots of different diets and viewpoints on this Board. People tend to respond according to what they are familiar with. I hope that you do decide to stick around. We can learn from you!

--Rheanna

Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #23
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

I'm sorry you feel that there is vegan-bashing here... I don't think I perceived the posts the same way you did (but to each his/her own, right?). I agree though that you should stick around, people can learn a lot about alternative diets from you. I know that for the years I was vegan, it seemed like I was defending my choices to everyone for a goodly amount of time.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #24
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I agree I don't think anyone here gave bad advice or meant any harm in any replies. We share things that we have experienced. We learn from each other.
    Please stay and interact with us. People may only view things from one aspect but when others share their experiences or knowledge that's how we learn and grow.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #25
    tugguy
    (male)

tugguy HB User

I have 3 girls who were brought up veggie, not vegan. The oldest is 25, still a veggie. youngest 17, still a veggie. My middle girl, 20, never had meat until she went to college, now she does stray off the veggie path. She doesn't think we know, but I do, and whatever she wants to eat is fine with me.
    Just a note for those un educated in eating vegetarian and think it is unhealthy, my oldest competed in track and field in college, and holds the womans record in....shot put! So much for it being unhealthy.
    Hope everyone has a good day.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #26
    AmandaH
    (female)

AmandaH HB User

I apologize if my comment offended anyone. Yes, I did stray from the topic, but that's what happens on message boards. I did not say that veganism is unhealthy in any way, just that my cousin *thinks* she is healthy because she is a vegetarian. I actually don't eat that much meat, besides chicken and fish, and I've never felt better in my life. Please do stick around, because we can definitely learn from each other.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #27
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

I don't think the OP will be coming back, but I just wanted to say that I think any vegetarian and meat-eater can be healthy or unhealthy. It's about being smart and making healthy choices.

Someone who doesn't eat any meatbut lives on soda, frozen pizzas and junk food is definitely not healthy. Just like someone who lives on fast food and greasy burgers is not healthy. You can eat meat and be healthy, just like you can not eat meat and be healthy. There are nutrients in meat that are good for you. No, you don't want to eat red meat nightly, but once in a while is good. Health conscious carnivores, like myself, choose lean meats and cut away as much fat as possible when cooking. Vegetarians can get all their nutrients without eating meat as long as they eat the right foods... which it sounds like the OP does. I tried a vegetarian diet for a little less than a year... but I just started craving meat! I couldn't do it. The pharmasict where I worked told me that the cravings were my bodies way of telling me I was lacking what it needed. My mom is a vegetarian (she eats fish), has been for a few years now. She eats lots of fruits and veggies, beans, tofu. Once in a while she'll have a Garden burger or use "fake" meat. She's healthier than she ever has been.

As for the orinigal question..
    A child raised as a vegetarian may have trouble at first digesting meat, because it's harder for the stomach to break down. You wouldn't want to go from vegan to steak over night! Slowly introducing lean meats like fish, then chicken would probably be better than red meats. I don't think it would be unhealthy or dangerous for a child to start off a vegetarian, then to try meat. They should just try things slowly and see how their bodies handle it.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #28
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jen52983 View Post
    I don't think the OP will be coming back, but I just wanted to say that I think any vegetarian and meat-eater can be healthy or unhealthy. It's about being smart and making healthy choices.

Someone who doesn't eat any meatbut lives on soda, frozen pizzas and junk food is definitely not healthy. Just like someone who lives on fast food and greasy burgers is not healthy. You can eat meat and be healthy, just like you can not eat meat and be healthy. There are nutrients in meat that are good for you. No, you don't want to eat red meat nightly, but once in a while is good. Health conscious carnivores, like myself, choose lean meats and cut away as much fat as possible when cooking. Vegetarians can get all their nutrients without eating meat as long as they eat the right foods... which it sounds like the OP does. I tried a vegetarian diet for a little less than a year... but I just started craving meat! I couldn't do it. The pharmasict where I worked told me that the cravings were my bodies way of telling me I was lacking what it needed. My mom is a vegetarian (she eats fish), has been for a few years now. She eats lots of fruits and veggies, beans, tofu. Once in a while she'll have a Garden burger or use "fake" meat. She's healthier than she ever has been.

As for the orinigal question..
    A child raised as a vegetarian may have trouble at first digesting meat, because it's harder for the stomach to break down. You wouldn't want to go from vegan to steak over night! Slowly introducing lean meats like fish, then chicken would probably be better than red meats. I don't think it would be unhealthy or dangerous for a child to start off a vegetarian, then to try meat. They should just try things slowly and see how their bodies handle it.
    Technically, she is not a Vegetarian; as they do not eat fish.
    She would be considered a "Pescetarian"

Closed Thread