It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• 14 y.o.-systolic heart murmur, sinus arrhythmia and possible SVT.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2003, 09:08 AM   #1
    heart4321

heart4321 HB User
    Post 14 y.o.-systolic heart murmur, sinus arrhythmia and possible SVT.

Does anyone have any of those? I'm 14 years old and I was referred to a pediatric cardiologist because I had a heart murmur, irregular heartbeat, and palpitations 3 times. I went to the cardiologist and also had an Echo and EKG there. The echo was normal and the EKG said that I had sinus arrhythmia, which I guess is normal. I also have a systolic heart murmur, which I think means a murmur on the LUBB sound, but I'm not sure. She said it was normal though, so I'm not worried. I have to go back in 9 months for a follow up and they think I might have SVT, but they're not sure.
    If anyone has any of these please respond. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
    projapoti
    Inactive

projapoti HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by heart4321:
    Does anyone have any of those? I'm 14 years old and I was referred to a pediatric cardiologist because I had a heart murmur, irregular heartbeat, and palpitations 3 times. I went to the cardiologist and also had an Echo and EKG there. The echo was normal and the EKG said that I had sinus arrhythmia, which I guess is normal. I also have a systolic heart murmur, which I think means a murmur on the LUBB sound, but I'm not sure. She said it was normal though, so I'm not worried. I have to go back in 9 months for a follow up and they think I might have SVT, but they're not sure.
    If anyone has any of these please respond. Thanks.
    Well...first of all, a sinus arrythmia isn't normal...that's why it's called an "arrythmia". But heart murmurs can be normal. A lot of people have benign systolic murmurs throughout their lives with no ill effects. One type of heart condition that happens in your age group is something called a paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. What this means is that the pacemaker of the heart gets irritable once in a while, goes off more times than normal, and this causes a fast heart rate which you probably feel in your chest. It's pretty harmless and it'll probably go away when you get older.

Old 08-02-2003, 02:28 PM   #3
    heart4321

heart4321 HB User
    Okay, thanks. I've heard of PSVT and when I said normal to the sinus arrythmia I should've said that it's nothing bad because I knew it wasn't normal.

Old 08-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #4
    gillian30

gillian30 HB User
    You may also have a condition called POTS--postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. It happens to young women, sometimes following a virus, sometimes for no reason at all. I have it although I'm considered "old" for the illness by some standards (I'm 30.) It is an arrythmia, a very fast heart rate, especially while standing. It sometimes happens with a low blood pressure upon standing but not always. You might want to request a tilt table test to see if that could be the cause of your arrythmia.

Old 08-02-2003, 07:48 PM   #5
    heart4321

heart4321 HB User
    Oh, I think they would of said that that could be a possibility but who knows. Everytime I had the palpitations it was right when I shot a basketball. I didn't have any other symptoms though, such as dizziness, chest pain, etc. which is usually what happens with SVT I guess. I also have normal blood pressure and pulse for my age.

Old 08-04-2003, 06:23 PM   #6
    heart4321

heart4321 HB User
    Actually I guess they do consider it normal.

Sinus arrhythmia: Variations in heart rates usually occur during breathing. This is especially common in younger children and is considered normal.

Here is the definition of SVT incase anybody is wondering what it is:
    Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT): An episode of a rapid pulse rate arising from the upper chambers of the heart. The onset may be sudden or gradual and the duration ranges from seconds to days. SVT heart rates are usually faster in children than in adults and often are greater than 150 beats per minute. There are multiple causes for SVT.

Old 08-09-2003, 05:45 PM   #7
    heart4321

heart4321 HB User
    Anyone else have any of these?

Closed Thread